Two Swings

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't grasp people not doing a practise swing. I think I just do it as the most basic pre-shot routine, to focus the mind a bit. If I didn't take I'd feel like I was rushing it, and therefore be more furious if I mess one up.

Did away with them some time back on full swings, certainly on tee shots!

Very overrated, time consuming and even tiring.

Can't see why you would include them in a pre shot routine - but completely understand pre round warming up!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with someone I know but don't play with very often, asked him if he always paused on the top of his backswing he didn't look best pleased and ignored me, it wasn't untill after the round that my other friend who we were playing with told me he had some kind of yips on the top of his backswing and was trying hard to stop this without success.
This is why I never comment on anyone’s swing unless asked to do so!
Good swing is all I say for a good shot.

Used to be a lad at Lee Park called Sid years ago he had the most fantastic practice swing in every way, but when he hit the ball like a different player.
Really nice lad though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can't see why you would include them in a pre shot routine - but completely understand pre round warming up!
Because golf is a stop start game you can hit a iron shot to the green but not swing properly again for 15mins.

all put out walk to next tee, wait for game in front etc.

a good practice swing is just a mini warm up before hitting your next shot.

you wouldn’t go for a run without warming up.

I think some players would play better and swing more freely if they just had a practice swing imo.

But everyone does it different and no ones right or wrong.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

For me it's become ingrained I guess, but I feel that a practise swing focuses my mind for the upcoming shot, stops me from rushing the shot, and helps me envision the shot and what I want to do with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Now I'm injury free, I'm back to working on my swing changes and so need a practice swing to feel the feeling of the length of swing I'm working on. We have an Irish bloke at my club that take it back so far inside and pauses at waist height and then up to a restricted top of the swing position but brings it down with a good swish. Plays off 12-13 and it works for him.