Two Swings

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a really nice fella at my place who has two golf swings.
1. A practice swing, which is a sort of 3/4 take a away and full blooded swish though.
2. The shot swing, which is a 1/2 take a away and 1/4 half hearted follow though.

Gets the ball into very tricky situations off the tee, but only due to the ball only travelling about 100 meters.

A few years ago, the first time I played with him, I said to our other playing partner that if he hit the ball with his practice swing it would be better. He bloke turned to be and very sternly said, "Do not say this to him, I did once and he nearly ripped my head off. We've all know this but NEVER EVER say it"

With his practice swing I'm sure he could get 200 meters. It's so sad to watch. But hey, he enjoys it. Rocks up to everything!!! AND....he can play to 28 no problem...usually, and and is great to have in a scramble for his H/C !!!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
1. A practice swing, which is a sort of 3/4 take a away and full blooded swish though.
2. The shot swing, which is a 1/2 take a away and 1/4 half hearted follow though.

Gets the ball into very tricky situations off the tee, but only due to the ball only travelling about 100 meters.

A few years ago, the first time I played with him, I said to our other playing partner that if he hit the ball with his practice swing it would be better. He bloke turned to be and very sternly said, "Do not say this to him, I did once and he nearly ripped my head off. We've all know this but NEVER EVER say it"

With his practice swing I'm sure he could get 200 meters. It's so sad to watch. But hey, he enjoys it. Rocks up to everything!!! AND....he can play to 28 no problem...usually, and and is great to have in a scramble for his H/C !!!!

I can't understand anyone who'd "rip your head off" for making a helpful observation 🤐

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

lol sounds like me... apart from the only hitting it 100 mts bit:rofl:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I watched homers vid recently of the forum outing and there is a guy on it with a full practise swing then he goes to hot the ball and the club barely glasses hip height, I near fell off the seat laughing when I seen it.....come on, own up who is it 😂😂

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with a chap who, whatever length of putt, uses a 6 inch stroke back and through as a practice.

So he can be stood over a 30 foot uphill putt and will practice with a putting stroke of 6 inches back and 6 inches through.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We call a lad at our place "Spinny". His practice thing is a thing of beauty, his real swing is rather the opposite, he spins 90 degrees on his heels during his downswing. It really is something to behold :rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play with a chap who, whatever length of putt, uses a 6 inch stroke back and through as a practice.

So he can be stood over a 30 foot uphill putt and will practice with a putting stroke of 6 inches back and 6 inches through.

With things like that I figure it's always more of a mental thing, like a pre-shot routine, rather than actually practising the stroke they have coming up.

My practise swing is always just my exact swing, minus the actual ball obviously. I think I might be in the minority there though, I often seem to see people just doing a slow half-swing, or a kind of more relaxed version of the swing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
FiL has two swings. The first is slow, compact, fairly graceful. His actual swing is unbalanced, manic, random, faster than Rory. Needless to say golf is poor, his driving is particularly awful because of this. We have tried to slow him down to his practice swing but he wont have it. I gave up a long time ago.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I was chatting to teach pro friend of my mine recently. Said he had a chap come in wanting him to video all 14 of his golf swings - he said he has a different swing for each club.

Although my friend did his best to try to explain an alternative way forward (perhaps one swing as opposed to 14) the customer was insistent. So, they filmed it.

All 14 swings were exactly the same.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sometimes I'll have a really hard practice swing on a driver if I've made a Smiffy of the previous hole. That gets the aggregation out and ensures a smooth tee shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was chatting to teach pro friend of my mine recently. Said he had a chap come in wanting him to video all 14 of his golf swings - he said he has a different swing for each club.

Although my friend did his best to try to explain an alternative way forward (perhaps one swing as opposed to 14) the customer was insistent. So, they filmed it.

All 14 swings were exactly the same.
lol - what could he have possibly thought he was doing 14 different ways?? Madness.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There is a member of this forum (you know who you are!) who would hit it much better if he used the waggle before his actual swing to hit the ball. The club goes farther back on the pre swing. I've mentioned it but he doesn't seem to be able to do it. All in the head.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Practice swing what is one of those?

Grab club from bag, remove head cover is necessary, approach ball, swing, replace club in bag and head cover if necessary, repeat another 85 (good day) to 120 (bad day) times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Practice swing what is one of those?

Grab club from bag, remove head cover is necessary, approach ball, swing, replace club in bag and head cover if necessary, repeat another 85 (good day) to 120 (bad day) times.
I can't grasp people not doing a practise swing. I think I just do it as the most basic pre-shot routine, to focus the mind a bit. If I didn't take I'd feel like I was rushing it, and therefore be more furious if I mess one up.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't grasp people not doing a practise swing. I think I just do it as the most basic pre-shot routine, to focus the mind a bit. If I didn't take I'd feel like I was rushing it, and therefore be more furious if I mess one up.

Admittedly at the back end of last year I started doing the Alex Noren thing, where I take the club to about waist height and make sure it is well behind or inside accentuating to the extreme the feeling, to hopefully try and remind me to swing inside and not come over the top. It wasn't a full swing, just a couple of little half height not even half speed swings, there was no follow through, just the take away and down swing.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played with someone I know but don't play with very often, asked him if he always paused on the top of his backswing he didn't look best pleased and ignored me, it wasn't untill after the round that my other friend who we were playing with told me he had some kind of yips on the top of his backswing and was trying hard to stop this without success.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with someone I know but don't play with very often, asked him if he always paused on the top of his backswing he didn't look best pleased and ignored me, it wasn't untill after the round that my other friend who we were playing with told me he had some kind of yips on the top of his backswing and was trying hard to stop this without success.
Well it works for Matsuyama.