Two quick rule confirmations...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
In my medal today the same player who told me on the ninth that I was due a penalty for replacing my ball on the green when a FC had originally marked it for me assured me that he had done nothing wrong when he moved the tee marker on the 17th to allow him to gain a better stance...

I showed him the rule book on the 9th but he was adamant... "Sorry but you're wrong, a professional told me during the week".

Sigh. Please confirm to settle my brain that I was right in both instances...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You were right in both instances.

Only the Player may 'Place' a ball, but Player, Partner or the person who marked it can 'Replace'. (20-3a)
Moving Tee Markers is specifically referred to in 11-2 (Teeing Ground) as a breach of 13-2 (Improving Lie).

Cards should not have been signed before it was resolved though!

Professionals strengths are their ability to play and/or teach the game, not necessarily its Rules. The one rule a (playing) professional needs is to ask 'Where's a Rules Official?' if there's any doubt.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
make him learn - email the committee now that you drew his attention to this at the time and, on the basis that he hasn't cleared it with them they will DQ him

hopefully he will stop hassling everyone else.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
To my own annoyance I didn't actually challenge the tee marker at the time because I only noticed as he replaced it and I was playing so poorly that I didn't click right away. None of us were in contention so I didn't revisit the issue though I know I should have.

It was the ball marking that I showed him in the book and he couldn't get to grips with the following line...

A ball to be replaced under the Rules must be replaced by any one of the following: (i) the person who lifted or moved the ball, (ii) the player, or (iii) the player's partner.

He thought that (i) meant whoever lifted it or moved it must replace if they mark it, (ii) meant the player must replace it if they mark it and that (iii) meant the partner must replace it if they mark it. He didn't grasp that all three are listed as options for all contingencies.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
email now anyway - if the comp's not closed he's toast

It's closed, results went up by 2pm. It's a small club (only 23 entered this morning) and I'm leaving at the end of the season so I honestly don't want the hassle of something like this just before I leave. I will however let the player in question know the rule.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's closed, results went up by 2pm. It's a small club (only 23 entered this morning) and I'm leaving at the end of the season so I honestly don't want the hassle of something like this just before I leave. I will however let the player in question know the rule.

fair points - I only posted this way as you had presented the indivisual as a 'rules bully'; looking back it's more the inference I took than anything specific. I also got sonfused about what was discussed at the time as well.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
fair points - I only posted this way as you had presented the indivisual as a 'rules bully'; looking back it's more the inference I took than anything specific. I also got sonfused about what was discussed at the time as well.

He's just a very forceful character by nature, it's nothing overly negative in his personality it's just him. I possibly portrayed him in a worse light than I could have.