Two Drivers Two results

JGolfer

Visit site
I have two drivers.

Driver 1 - Callaway epic flash SZ 9.5degree, standard size grip, neutral setup. Massive overdraw. Average carry 220-230 (when hit straight) Low ball flight

Driver 2 - Titleist 917 D2 11 degree, mid size grip. Massive slice (And I do mean slice). Average carry 235-245 (When hit straight) High ball flight

Both clubs share the same shaft from when I got back into golf 2 years ago. Tensei something 60g r flex. Total distance is roughly the same, with the edge usually going to Titleist as it is less condition related due to much greater carry distance.

My shot shape with all my clubs is a draw, and I much prefer the ball flight of Driver 2, I have booked for a fit in July (earliest available).

The over arching question I ask myself is can a golf grip really have a massive effect on shot shape? Because I don't really know much about either driver. Sadly the Titleist doesn't have any adjustability.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had a full custom fit some years ago I was getting a push slice from the sett delivered , went back to the fitter who realised the wrong grips had been fitted, the ones fitted were too thick, correct grips fitted and push slice gone.

Head weight could be a factor.

D

Deleted member 3432

I have two drivers.

Driver 1 - Callaway epic flash SZ 9.5degree, standard size grip, neutral setup. Massive overdraw. Average carry 220-230 (when hit straight) Low ball flight

Driver 2 - Titleist 917 D2 11 degree, mid size grip. Massive slice (And I do mean slice). Average carry 235-245 (When hit straight) High ball flight

Both clubs share the same shaft from when I got back into golf 2 years ago. Tensei something 60g r flex. Total distance is roughly the same, with the edge usually going to Titleist as it is less condition related due to much greater carry distance.

My shot shape with all my clubs is a draw, and I much prefer the ball flight of Driver 2, I have booked for a fit in July (earliest available).

The over arching question I ask myself is can a golf grip really have a massive effect on shot shape? Because I don't really know much about either driver. Sadly the Titleist doesn't have any adjustability.

Thicker grip can help if you have a handsy action.

You can adjust the Callaway 2 degrees up which will help carry distance if you are hitting it too low (its a low spin head so you may need the extra loft) and try moving the sliding weight into the toe which is fade setting.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm considering mid size grips on all my clubs. I am fighting a mean hook at the minute. I have worked hard on getting my right hand into a weaker position and finally feel comfortable somewhat with that.

For love nor money can I get my left hand on the grip any weaker without it feeling terrible and I completely lose the face on the backswing.

In a bit of a quandary about it as it can be an expensive mistake.

I've had mid size in the past and liked them. Maybe a trial grip or two is needed.