TV coverage , What a difference

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have been following the Ryder Cup with great interest ( was down there for Fridays washout) and having no sky Tv at home I have been limited to
1 The Pub which has Sky,
2 BBC Highlights
3 Dodgy US based internet feeds.

Here is my indepth analysis

1 SKY . hate the adverts, just when there is something good about to happen. Ok do adverts just wait until there is a lull in proceedings, Not difficult in Ryder cup, Normally only 4 matches out there at any one time.
Seems a bit light weight on stats.

2 BBC Highlights. Impartial, Indepth, loads of stats and loads of action, no adverts. Easily the best. WHY are the BBC not showing this live. David Cameron Bloody Do Something

3 Dodgy US TV internet feed. I was amazed at how biased this was, They only showed coverage if the Americans won or halved a hole. NO coverage of them losing, it was just reported, Plus adverts followed by a sickening interview with the chair of the USPGA where the interviewer was so intent on crawling up the chairmans backside that he turned brown. Sycophantic or what, It was almost as if a government censor was saying, " you cant show that" it will hurt the American public.

Well I hope they get tonked tomorrow

Come On Europe

El Fragger

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sky is great if you have sky+, all you have to do is record it, start watching 1 hr after it starts then you can fast forward through the adverts and Jim Furyks 5-hr put preparations and enjoy the golf, and even replay the good bits. :D

A

Alex1975

Sky is great if you have sky+, all you have to do is record it, start watching 1 hr after it starts then you can fast forward through the adverts and Jim Furyks 5-hr put preparations and enjoy the golf, and even replay the good bits. :D

Yep this is exatly what I do but I would way rather have it on the bbc and still use the sky+ to FF though Furyks putt prep.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Can some brave person have a quiet word with my missus about getting Sky?

PS you will need a reinforced jockstrap just in case

Fragger

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have watched a bit of the BBC highlights and it is refreshing to hear Allis again but given the service Sky have shown to golf over the years I think they deserve the right to host it. The BBC have never invested in their coverage and in the same way as they lost rugby, football and cricket there has been no real desire to put competitive tenders in whenever these packages come up for renewal. I am abivalent to the adverts and tend to flick through the paper of my GM while they are on

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can some brave person have a quiet word with my missus about getting Sky?

PS you will need a reinforced jockstrap just in case

Fragger

I'll have a quiet word with her.

I can't guarantee that we'll get round to talking about SKY.

The last time I had a 'quiet word' with a woman I ended up marrying her - and having children...

alexgolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
just watched the Golf all day on SKY and the Highlights on BBC.

How i miss the golf on the BBC. Just enjoy the whole experance. BUT what SKY offer on their dedicated sports channels for golf in general throught the year has to be applauded.

Their support of of our game is to be commended but this is and will cause a problem for our game in the future as not enough golf is exposed to people who are not already interested in it.

No the BBC is excellent when they are interested in it......and that is not enough

S

Snelly

It amazes me to see posts on this forum that sing the praises or are even ambivilent to Sky. I cannot understand your point of view as you are basically saying that it is a good thing that golf, particularly the rather unique Ryder Cup (the one event that has a European Team) is consigned to a minority channel that aims at the lowest common denominator of viewer.

This is not a good thing. Sky cannot be good for the game.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I hate sky coverage it is just repackaged american golf channel, the BBC is and always has been the best for covering golf, and the reason its on sky is because the BBC spends its cash on idiots like Wossy.

Peter Allis is the greatest sports comentator ever

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky support golf in a way the BBC has never and will never come close to. You can watch golf on Sky prety much every week of the season, plus they have dedicated magazine programmes like The Golf Show.

The BBC choose to spend our licence fee elsewhere, inflated salary for average presenters, strictly effin C list dancing. It amazes me that people think the beeb can do sod all to support golf all year, and then rock up and show the RC. They don't deserve it and more importantly, they don;t want it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How about their European tour coverage? I doubt that is repackaged American coverage, who would be interested in the states?

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok Sky support golf, they dont just repackage the american coverage for a vast profit then

I don't really care how they do it, they allow me to watch live golf every week which is fantastic. I hope they do make a nice profit, makes sure they stay in business.

Instead of knocking what's available, why don't you try asking the beeb why they aren't competing for the golf coverage ?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky support golf in a way the BBC has never and will never come close to. You can watch golf on Sky prety much every week of the season
You're comparing a broadcaster with 3 dedicated sports channels with one which doesn't have any? The BBC can hardly dedicate several hours a week to golf just to please the diehards. Hardly a ratings winner, is it? Just because you or I might want to see more on the Beeb doesn't mean the man (or woman) in the street does.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky support golf in a way the BBC has never and will never come close to. You can watch golf on Sky prety much every week of the season
You're comparing a broadcaster with 3 dedicated sports channels with one which doesn't have any? The BBC can hardly dedicate several hours a week to golf just to please the diehards. Hardly a ratings winner, is it? Just because you or I might want to see more on the Beeb doesn't mean the man (or woman) in the street does.

I agree, but that's why I can't understand Sky getting slated. They give me as a golf fan something no other station can

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree. I can remember in the 80's when Faldo, Lyle, Seve etc were at their pomp when BBC2 would show the last two days of lots of events on Sunday Grandstand. Sadly as there is only the BMW and the Open on UK soil they have little else to show while Sky have the resources and desire to transmit all over Eurpe and beyond. As a golf fan I'm pleased to be able to have the choice to watch as much or as little as I want. It isn't just golf sky has rejuvenated but look at minority sports like netball, eventing etc who have all seen a welcome boost to their audience awareness and funding.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sky coverage + Ken on the Course would equal perfection.

Are you talking about Ken Brown, the man that played with no personality for 20 years, and then reinvents himself as a skinny David Bellamy ?