Turning up without your shoes....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in 1989 I was picked up from home in Dorset on a Monday morning for a weeks golf in Cornwall. We stopped off at Launceston on the way down. That was when I realised that I had left my golf shoes in the kitchen, so had to buy some from the pro at Launceston. The only pair that would fit me were a pair of white Footjoys at a cost of £99.00. Not only did they empty my bank balance but they crippled my feet with blisters, and by the Friday I could hardly walk. Don't remember ever wearing them again afterwards.

£99.00 was about a weeks wage back then.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive done once before when we thought my shoes were in the shoe bag my dad brought with him.. turns out was his old pair .. (im size 10 he is a 9) rented a pair from the pro shop for £10 think it was

not the most comfortable round

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I once turned up for a golf day without any golfing equipment at all. We had two cars at the time and I took the wrong one, with all my golf gear being in the boot of the other one! :eek:

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
shoes i can live with, but ive forgotten my putter going to an away open:(

This!!!!!

Turned up for a 36 hole open only to find my dad who was playing at royal st georges had decided my putter was a better option for fast greens so had helped himself but hadnt bothered replacing it! Realised 10 mins before teeing off. ended up borrowing a cut down 32" one (im 6ft5 lol)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On the plus side I've checked and double checked my bag for tomorrow and they are definitely in there! Putter too. Plenty of balls and waterproofs and definitely got everything I need....... I think

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the plus side I've checked and double checked my bag for tomorrow and they are definitely in there! Putter too. Plenty of balls and waterproofs and definitely got everything I need....... I think

Come on Homer, you don't need to remember them. You have enough shoes to have a pair in every clubhouse in the country

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did this in the first round of this years matchplay ko, I had just came back into heathrow that day and it was the only way we could get the game played if I went heathrow->house->straight to club on that day. Thinking I still had all my stuff in the car I went off to the club (I had in fact taken the shoes out to clean them two days prior). Ended up playing in my white clubhouse loafers without any issues

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I arranged a game with an American guy at Ely golf club in the late 90's who turned up without his golf shoes,his solution was to "borrow" a pair of shoes from underneath a bench in the locker room!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This!!!!!

Turned up for a 36 hole open only to find my dad who was playing at royal st georges had decided my putter was a better option for fast greens so had helped himself but hadnt bothered replacing it! Realised 10 mins before teeing off. ended up borrowing a cut down 32" one (im 6ft5 lol)

I used to have a putting mat set up in the bedroom and on that occasion the putter was still leaning against the wall next to it.

The pro let me borrow his Scotty Cameron, at the time i had a big mallet putter that looked the "The Starship Enterprise"so was not looking forward to putting with a blade putter. and said to him if i hole anything with this I'll buy one Jokingly ....

holes load and putted well... won the comp and had to but a SC putter luckily i had Vouchers from the win.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Turned up on a comp day this season after checking the clubs website that morning at 6am (we had 5 yo grandson with us who gets up piggin' early) to see it the comp was on, "Course closed" it said. Well no wonder after Saturdays deluge and the fact it was sheeting it down that morning. So after a story or two and an early breakfast I drove over to the club to do the draw for the next weeks comp, to be greeted by trolley and clubs parked by the Pro shop. "Blooming nutters" I thought. In I went dressed in VERY casual VERY bright clothes. "eh' up it's Co-Co the clown" some wag shouted. I was puzzled. " What the bloomin' 'eck are you all doing here you nutters?" I asked. "Er it's comp day....don't you know Mr Comp Secretary" to much hilarity. I went on to explain what I've just typed.."...so it's off"
The Pro sighed. "That was yesterday. I've updated it for today...we're open!"
I borrowed the Pro spare pair of shoes, put on my waterproof trousers, and borrowed a mates shirt from his locker, and hired a trolley. No I didn't win.