Turkey Golf Trip

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

In a couple of years we are looking at a golf trip. One of the options suggested is 5 days in Turkey.

This will be after COVID or we won’t go so not worried about the dealing with the current restrictions.

Can anyone recommend any booking options/advice.

C

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Well....the Belek area is prime Turkey golfing country. 16 of us have been going from our club for several years now.

Some great courses...

Sultan
Carya
Lykia Links
National
Nobilis
Pasha
Gloria

(and several others but the above are perhaps my preferences)

Avoid using Golf Holidays Direct at all costs.

Reactions: MrC

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sultan
Carya
Lykia Links
National
Nobilis
Pasha
Gloria
Agreed about the Sultan - my favourite course in the area.

Lykia is a nice course, but it's well out of the way - a 40 min drive to get there from the hotels in Belek (even though it's only about half a mile as the crow flies, but on the other side of a river with the bridge miles inland). A few years ago we decided to stay at Lykia World so we could play the course for the week. Big mistake - hotel overrun by rude Russians and their bratty kids, and the staff unwilling to do anything about it.

Other good courses I've played to add to the list:
Montgomery
Faldo
Kaya Eagles

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the a course or courses that would suit 24 handicapper (we have 2)
The Pasha and Noblis are fairly benign.
But none of them are unplayable.
They all have forward tees.
Go in the trees and you'll find your ball - it's pine straw rather than actual rough.
But beware that quite a few of them have a fair amount of water.

The course that beat me up the most was the National - but that could be because we played it 2 days after the Women's Turkish Open finished, and the setup & pin positions were as they had been on their last round.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed about the Sultan - my favourite course in the area.

Lykia is a nice course, but it's well out of the way - a 40 min drive to get there from the hotels in Belek (even though it's only about half a mile as the crow flies, but on the other side of a river with the bridge miles inland). A few years ago we decided to stay at Lykia World so we could play the course for the week. Big mistake - hotel overrun by rude Russians and their bratty kids, and the staff unwilling to do anything about it.

Other good courses I've played to add to the list:
Montgomery
Faldo
Kaya Eagles

Yeah...Lykia is a bit out of the way if you dont stay at Lykia World but the 40 minute transfer (assume the OP would book golf with all transfers to courses included) is at least a chance to grab a few extra minutes sleep, let the breakfast go down a bit or just take in some of the scenery.

Sadly most resort hotels in Turkey have an issue with Russians. I've kicked more than my share as they've tried to barge past me and on one occasion forearm chopped one guy straight across the throat as he barged his way into a lift as my mate on crutches was trying to get out...to be honest I was just trying to put my arm across the guys chest to stop him as he was in full charge mode and about to take my mate out, but it slid up his barrell chest and...well...who cares...was one up for the Brits.

Best thing I ever saw was an argument between a 4ft something heavily tattooed Glaswegian lady and a 6ft Russian paunchy slob. The Russians had just moved the Glaswegian ladies families stuff off a lounger whilst they went and had some lunch. I watched the Glaswegian family return and nudged the wife and said..."here watch this, this will be interesting!!". If the Russian didn't get the gist of what was being said to (or shouted at) him (and I dont blame him as I only deciphered about 30% of the words...mostly the expletives) he soon did when the Glaswegian lady started offloading his families belongings into the pool!!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the a course or courses that would suit 24 handicapper (we have 2)

Yeah....we have a variety of handicaps up to high 20's in our group....as has been said, most courses have a variety of tees and as long as you are sensible and don't force everyone to play off the back tees then everyone can have a good time. Also...all the courses are rated for Slope so you could let folks play off whatever tees they like and use the slope ratings (now we have these nice new handicap index thingies) to determine how many shots they get. Also...all the courses are measured in meters so if someone turns his nose up at playing off say "the blue tees at 5900"....remind them that's actually closer to 6,500 yards!!!

The trees in Turkey are really special....as long as you see which tree your ball hits you will be almost guaranteed to find it, as when balls hit trees they drop down stone dead....no bouncing 40 yards off in one direction or the other!!!

Watch out for some of the birds....they have an uncanny knack of figuring out which pocket in your bag your sandwiches are in and helping themselves.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d echo booking with bilyana golf, ive used a few tour operators for Turkey trips and they are streets ahead of anyone else. Carya is my favourite course there and I agree with the national being the most difficult

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Check on the timing of your trip, we went during the 'overseeding' weeks and it really ruined the golf experience... the information is pretty much available on most club web sites, but tour operators wont mention it. Its usually sometime in October and maybe again in spring.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah....we have a variety of handicaps up to high 20's in our group....as has been said, most courses have a variety of tees and as long as you are sensible and don't force everyone to play off the back tees then everyone can have a good time. Also...all the courses are rated for Slope so you could let folks play off whatever tees they like and use the slope ratings (now we have these nice new handicap index thingies) to determine how many shots they get. Also...all the courses are measured in meters so if someone turns his nose up at playing off say "the blue tees at 5900"....remind them that's actually closer to 6,500 yards!!!

The trees in Turkey are really special....as long as you see which tree your ball hits you will be almost guaranteed to find it, as when balls hit trees they drop down stone dead....no bouncing 40 yards off in one direction or the other!!!

Watch out for some of the birds....they have an uncanny knack of figuring out which pocket in your bag your sandwiches are in and helping themselves.

Thanks. Tees won’t be an issue. We are their for fun so we will happily play of sensible tees.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We stay in the Sueno Deluxe which is a cracking hotel and 2 decent courses onsite so it keeps the cost down as well. Golf, hotels and transfers booked through Bilyani who are excellent to deal with. Over the years we’ve played Montgomerie Maxx, Carya, PGA National, Titanic, Pines and Dunes and Sueno and more All excellent with the National being the toughest (water ?). My favourite is Carya, especially after the changes they put in for the Turkish Open.
Just gutted we’ve had to cancel twice due the pandemic but booked up already for next year and I’m already counting the days.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you get a chance, try to play Carya at night under the lights. It is fantastic!

Dz6hAbH.jpg

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Went to Turkey a few years ago with a bunch of lads. Stayed at the Voyage Hotel in Belek.
Absolutely brilliant and the courses were good too.
The only one I didn't particularly like was a Montgomery one. Loads (and loads) of sand waste areas rather than rough. It was like playing out of bunkers all the way round (unfortunately I didn't find many fairways).
But other than that, all good.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went to Turkey a few years ago with a bunch of lads. Stayed at the Voyage Hotel in Belek.
Absolutely brilliant and the courses were good too.
The only one I didn't particularly like was a Montgomery one. Loads (and loads) of sand waste areas rather than rough. It was like playing out of bunkers all the way round (unfortunately I didn't find many fairways).
But other than that, all good.

Stayed at the Titanic for a golfing break and then at the Voyage for a family holiday within a few months of each other back in 2019.

The Voyage is the better hotel, but I'd say the Titanic would be better for a golf break. Very few golfers at the Voyage (in October), but the Titanic had loads (beginning of May), which made for a great laugh in the 24 hour sports bar.

I haggled like mad with Golf Breaks and Your Golf Travel, and managed to get single rooms for a good bit less than what we were originally quoted for twin rooms.