Trendy 7 Wood

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems that 7 woods are becoming a popular club in a lot of pros bags these days and like anything else those guys use, will likely transcend to hackers like me. Question for you lot, anyone recently put one in the bag? If so, what did you swap out and how are you finding it?

Cheers

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a 7 wood for a couple of years, I hit it about as far as my 6 iron but with a higher flight and I m more consistant hitting it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 7 wood (or had until the shaft broke recently). I hit it more consistently than the 20° hybrid it replaced. I don't need a 3 wood since I could never hit them and my driver is high-lofted, so I just go driver, 5w, 7w, two hybrids and then irons.

The 7 wood is my go-to for second shots on long holes - I only use the 5 wood if the extra distance means reaching the green - if not then I just hit 7 wood since it's easier to hit so more reliable.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used a 7 wood for about 3-4 years now, having replaced a hybrid which was a bit inconsistent in direction.

I'ts only an old Mizuno MP001 but it is my go to club for long par 3's or approach shots where I have 165-185 left. Another benefit is it is great for chipping from nasty lies around the green (i do play a links course but would recommend anyone with a 7 should try using it for such shots. its just like putting but gets the ball rolling nicely).

i have been looking for a newer replacement (its currently the only regular shaft I have in my bag), but they are seeming quite rare with a stiff shaft.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought one last year. It replaced my 20 deg hybrid which in turn had replaced my 6 iron.

Best of the 3 for my golf. I have a slow swing, not the most consistent of swings and this gives the best outcome, most often. When hit properly it goes high, lands softly. It does what I want ?. Certainly more forgiving than my 6i or hybrid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm a fan of 7 Woods.
Ì think most amateur golfers would get more out of a 4w/7w combo than a 3w/5w...
Currently using a 20° hybrid but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and has a small chunk out of the face so I'm on the lookout..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one for years until I realised that my loss of distance with age meant I needed to use a 3 wood. I used to hit it 200 yards but now it would be more lie 160.
This reminds me I must put it up for sale.

D

Deleted member 23270

I would imagine that if a pro had a 7 wood in his bag it would be bent to about 20* so very different to what we would use.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have a 7 wood (or had until the shaft broke recently). I hit it more consistently than the 20° hybrid it replaced. I don't need a 3 wood since I could never hit them and my driver is high-lofted, so I just go driver, 5w, 7w, two hybrids and then irons.

The 7 wood is my go-to for second shots on long holes - I only use the 5 wood if the extra distance means reaching the green - if not then I just hit 7 wood since it's easier to hit so more reliable.

How far are you hitting the 7 wood?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This is pretty much exactly me. Been a fan of 7w for ages.

I've got Driver, 5w, 7w, 5H, 6H, 7i and so on. I got the 5w delofted slightly and the 7w increased slightly as the gap between them wasn't big enough, and the gap between the 7w and 5H was a bit big.

When I was being fitted we tried the 5H and it was pretty good. Then tried the 4H and it was awful. Tried a 7w instead and the ball just flew off the club. Tbh I'd like to try a 9w instead of the 5H but they're pretty rare beasts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is pretty much exactly me. Been a fan of 7w for ages.

I've got Driver, 5w, 7w, 5H, 6H, 7i and so on. I got the 5w delofted slightly and the 7w increased slightly as the gap between them wasn't big enough, and the gap between the 7w and 5H was a bit big.

When I was being fitted we tried the 5H and it was pretty good. Then tried the 4H and it was awful. Tried a 7w instead and the ball just flew off the club. Tbh I'd like to try a 9w instead of the 5H but they're pretty rare beasts.
Yeah, my Cobra 7W with the rails just feels so much easier to hit than the old hybrid I used to have. It's a great go-to club off the deck on longer holes.