Trendy 7 Wood

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is pretty much exactly me. Been a fan of 7w for ages.

I've got Driver, 5w, 7w, 5H, 6H, 7i and so on. I got the 5w delofted slightly and the 7w increased slightly as the gap between them wasn't big enough, and the gap between the 7w and 5H was a bit big.

When I was being fitted we tried the 5H and it was pretty good. Then tried the 4H and it was awful. Tried a 7w instead and the ball just flew off the club. Tbh I'd like to try a 9w instead of the 5H but they're pretty rare beasts.

I've got a Dunlop 9 wood that I had in the bag when my shanks were at their worst, you'd be welcome to it if we're ever both at a meet some time.
(It's not wooden but I doubt the technology is anything amazing!)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really like my 7 wood. Have had it in play for a couple of years. It's an old callaway Diablo of some variety.
Gives a lovely high flight for longish par 3s, and is pretty reliable for shots off the fairway when I just need to advance the ball a decent distance.

I think I heard Tommy Fleetwood referring to one in his bag recently, so where old men lead, young lads follow...

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm tempted with a 7w as my hybrid gets banished to the naughty step for misbehaving quite often & I love hitting my 5w off the deck - just haven't seen one that I wanted to pull the trigger on

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Are you going all forum distance on us here :LOL:.
No, I just hit it into the bunker on purpose. :rolleyes:

Well, no, after the 7 wood I have two hybrids (replacing 5 & 6 irons) and then the 7 iron.

No just trying to gauge how the yardage breakdown works for Orik - I rarely use my 5 iron as its so strongly lofted, just added a 3w and removed a 3H from the bag and playing with ideas in my head!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No just trying to gauge how the yardage breakdown works for Orik - I rarely use my 5 iron as its so strongly lofted, just added a 3w and removed a 3H from the bag and playing with ideas in my head!
For what it's worth, I only have 7-PW in irons, plus wedges of course. I wasn't generating the speed for longer irons whereas with a 7w you can be fairly gentle and it goes very nicely. If you can swing with speed still then obviously it goes further but it definitely offers help.

I think more people are realising that their 6i rarely goes further than their 7i and it is just deadweight, adjust for 5i and 6i, and these woods help plug the gap that has been lost.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, I only have 7-PW in irons, plus wedges of course. I wasn't generating the speed for longer irons whereas with a 7w you can be fairly gentle and it goes very nicely. If you can swing with speed still then obviously it goes further but it definitely offers help.

I think more people are realising that their 6i rarely goes further than their 7i and it is just deadweight, adjust for 5i and 6i, and these woods help plug the gap that has been lost.
Yeah, I definitely think a 7W is a great go-to club, and it's definitely worth replacing the 5 iron with a hybrid if you struggle to get it airborne, as I did. And as LT says, I could kind of hit the 6i but it would go the same distance as 7i, just lower, so pointless really, that's why I got a second hybrid at 27°.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My bag today - out for 9-holes at 9am.

SDC11342.JPG
I would be happy to swap the two hybrids 16d and 20d for a 4-wood and a 6-wood, if I could find something suitable for me at a reasonable price.
I bought the driver and the 16d for £25 each in 2010.
The 20d I bought last week for £14.

9 holes today - hadn't played for 3 weeks - 6 bogeys, one par and 2 birdies. Chipping and putting was a bit silly on frozen greens.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Had Heavenwoods (7 woods with longer shafts to promote launch) but the huge launch was only useful at certain times...anything windy and your ball could end anywhere.

I'm considering one of the new Callaway Apex Utility Woods that are due out in the next couple of weeks to replace my 4hybrid which is possibly the least consistent club in my bag.

D

Deleted member 23270

What? My 7 wood is adjustable and I play it at 21.5 so not that far off.
Most pros have their 3 wood around 13.5/14* degrees so everything else is cranked down accordingly.