Training note book

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was reading an article on the golf monthly website about using a notebook during practice but was curious, it sounds like a fab idea but what sort of things would you put into it?

I'm guessing a section on drills is a good start, do any of you guys keep notebooks and what to you record?

Wookiee

Visit site
i keep a note book on the course, i have all my distances for my clubs (3 per club, full shot, 1/2 inch down grip and 1 inch down grip all carry distances). i also have a few swing thoughts and drills i revert back to if i start hitting bad shots. i also record where my shots end up either on the intended tarket, missed left/right long/short and so on. then if i find a repeating pattern i can try to rectify that in practice. all a bit OTT really but each to there own!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own. But on a personal level, I can not see the point. Just another complication in my book. Have thought about it. But my answer to myself is. "Why write down something I already know"!

I like to keep things as simple as possible. As few swing thoughts as possible. As few drills as possible. Keep my mind as clear/blank as possible(very easy in my case lol).

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Each to their own. But on a personal level, I can not see the point. Just another complication in my book. Have thought about it. But my answer to myself is. "Why write down something I already know"!

I like to keep things as simple as possible. As few swing thoughts as possible. As few drills as possible. Keep my mind as clear/blank as possible(very easy in my case lol).

Same here. I've thought about this sort of thing when I read people on here talking about shot trackers, spreadsheets etc. It sounds good in principle, but I just know if I started it, I would soon forget / get bored / be too lazy to keep it going.

However, to the OP, if you're the sort of person who keeps things like this going, it might be worth a try.

From what I can tell, it can be useful to record on-course info such as where you missed fairways, eg left of right, where irons miss greens, long short, left/right, % of sand saves, scrambles etc, to identify and address weaknesses in your game.

That's where GPS type gizmos help, as they can track this stuff automatically I think?

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's is sort of where I am it all sounds very good but I agree I think I would get lazy and start forgetting to use it. I have been using the Golf Shot app on my iPhone for recording misses, sand saves and scrambles which works really well. I use it to keep score and all of the extra info is a bonus.

I was wondering if there is much merit in using a notebook for practice only like a golfers bible style thing and then also using it to track practice progress, and setting targets.

I'm on a mission to get better :)

T

thecraw

I'm a feel player.

Quite happy to knock down a 5 iron from 140 into a wind or whatever. Thats to technical for me.

See the shot, hit the shot, hope it comes off!!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I write up notes after every lesson and have referred back to my little red book many times and thought "silly moo - how did you stop doing this or that - or start doing this or that again" - if you see what I mean.

It doesn't come on the course with me though. I have been known to write up a crib sheet though if something has been troubling me and I have what I hope is the answer to practice on the range.

I also used to review each round and identify the 3 best shots and write them up. Great for confidence which used to be a real issue for me and means I focus on the good and not bad in a round. Might start doing that again actually as at the moment I am totally exaggerating and focussing on the worst parts of my round rather than the best.

In fact I'm off to do it now! The good thing about that is you spend time ONLY recalling and debating the pros and cons of the good shots you played to identify the top 3.

But...I'm an OCD anorak-type so it suits me to do all this...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the practice and lesson facility in SS2 to record what I've been working on and the swing thoughts, feelings I had particularly on good striking days. I record my lessons and the drills shown although my pro downloads swing videos onto my Plane Truth account along with their tips and drills so I use that as a more detailed resource.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
See the shot; set up for the shot; clear the mind; lose the tension; hit the shot!

Anything else is just confusing - including stuff on the practice area. If I haven't worked it out by the end of the session, I;ll remember it for next time.