Tractor Tracks

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So.... played at Baberton today, which has undergone great upheaval with the construction of a new clubhouse (gorgeous BTW) which required several holes to be remodelled to accommodate the new building.

The new 18th is still a bit of a work in progress with large GUR areas in front of and behind the green. You are required to take relief if you end up in the GUR.

It's a par 5, my second shot finished about 70 yards from the green, about two yards shy of the GUR.... but in a dirty great tractor track. My instinct was that I must get relief from it but couldn't find any rule to back that up so I was forced to play it as it lay.... skulled it through the back of the green and was then forced to drop in a drop zone that made my chip exponentially harder than it would otherwise have been. I wisnae happy, although did get up and down for par.

Anyway, I still can't find any rule for my drop from the tractor track.... Should I have got a drop and, if not, why not!?

Thanks, and, grrrr!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
S
The new 18th is still a bit of a work in progress ........
!

That's a very understated way of putting it! Apologies for all the complications of the GUR around the green - it was the only way we could get the new green into play when it was ready but much of the surrounding areas wasn't.

I can't place tractor marks and wonder if this is new, following the softening of the ground with recent heavy rain? The bad news, rules-wise, is that you do not get relief from them unless marked as GUR - see Decision 25/16 http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-25/#25/16

Thanks for the alert -I'll be able to take a look tomorrow although I expect the course manager will pick up on it.

Well done on the par - it ain't an easy hole - and delighted you liked the new clubhouse. Any time you get frustrated by the disruptions to the course you just have to look at the reason why and realise it is worth the temporary inconvenience.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Local Rule would be where I'd look too.

Certainly seen LRs that cover the condition in general. Needs to be a bit carefully worded as tracks alone should not allow relief, but deep ruts could.

Nope. Simply because the writer of them wasn't, as you see above, aware of them. :)

Colin,

They seem to be specified as often as 'stones in bunkers....' down here!

Could it be something to do with land clearances and crofting? :whistle:

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Colin.

I think the tracks are not very recent but the grass was growing in distinct tyre-track like lumpy chevrons :). FCs agreed they were tracks but, rightly it seems, we couldn't find a rule to allow a drop. My lie wasn't great but not too bad so, with players waiting back up the fairway, I decided to hit rather than waste any more time perusing the rule book.

Not covered by the local rule, but moving the GUR line back up the fairway a couple of yards would have encompassed it. Maybe I overreacted - needed to get up and down for birdie to break 80, which would have put a better gloss on my round despite not playing well. :eek:

I haven't played Baberton much but really enjoyed the course and what a great vista you have now from the clubhouse bar - you'll all be out on that balcony when the sun comes out next year!