Relief From Tractor Marks

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
Having just played a doubles competition one of my opponents asked for relief from grass that had been flatten by a 4 wheel vehicle, the vehicle had traveled from one fairway across to another so it was unlikely to be a golf cart and more likely to have been a ground keepers vehicle, the ground wasn't damaged but the grass had been flatten and he had a terrible lie.
Personally I didn't feel he was entitled to relief but it wasn't the Ryder Cup so I agreed.

Trying to find the ruling and I'm reading it as Tractor Marks are not entitled to a free drop unless marked as GUR, so flatten grass is definitely not covered!

I always believed you was entitled to relief from tractor marks, am i reading it wrong?

Adam

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You are correct in thinking that free relief was not available. Tractor marks are not ground under repair unless they are specifically identified/marked as such.
Agree - there is no automatic free relief from tractor marks or tractor ruts. If a player has doubts whether or not relief would be available in stroke play, he or she can play two balls, one taking relief, one not taking relief, report to the Committee in charge and ask them to decide whether relief was available.
Further, players are not referees and do not have authority or responsibility to grant or deny relief to other players. If your opponent (match play) feels he or she is entitled to free relief, they can take free relief. If you disagree, you need to tell them and then ask the Committee for a ruling later.

badgergm

Visit site
This is a very common misconception at my club. I’d estimate > 90% at our place would take relief from a bad tractor mark.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is a very common misconception at my club. I’d estimate > 90% at our place would take relief from a bad tractor mark.

And thereby lies the problem - what level of mark is "bad" enough, it all becomes a judgement matter and therefore almost impossible to manage?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting? Interested to know why the "committee" can't just get a bucket of paint (as it were) and mark it as GUR?
What am I missing ?
'The Committee' define it.... the grounds staff mark it....... mind you, nobody would get anything else done if they had to define the 'tractor marks' everytime they drove anywhere. :rolleyes: We have a local rule to deal with it, simples

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
'The Committee' define it.... the grounds staff mark it....... mind you, nobody would get anything else done if they had to define the 'tractor marks' everytime they drove anywhere. :rolleyes: We have a local rule to deal with it, simples[/QUOTE

Exactly. I think it best to keep to a minimum of white lining around a course. This condition is an easy one to identify with a few words and it isn't too difficult to come up with some sort of definition of one. This is ours:

A rut is considered deep if your ball is lying in it and your clubhead cannot connect with it or follow through without interference from an edge of the rut or, if you have to stand on it, you cannot take a normal balanced stance.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get that the committee define what is GUR. And also that "white lining" everything might be impractical. But is something "defined by committee" the same as a "local rule" ? (If it is, fine).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get that the committee define what is GUR. And also that "white lining" everything might be impractical. But is something "defined by committee" the same as a "local rule" ? (If it is, fine).
The term 'Local Rule' is not defined but there is a section that specifies authorised Local Rules. However, although not a Local Rule of itself, the Definition of GUR specifies that it must be defined.
The effect is similar but not exactly the same. A penalty is applied to a breach of a Rule or Local Rule. But there is no penalty for not defining GUR (or anything else which needs a definition in order to exist) but if there is no definition then any action taken may involve a breach of a Rule and result in a penalty.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

The Definition of GUR states that it can be marked or it can be defined by the committee in some other way.

Any part of the course the Committee defines to be ground under repair (whether by marking it or otherwise).

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
And could "or otherwise" include a statement on the Notice Board that said something along the lines of "All tractor marks identifiable as such are GUR"?
Me thinks that rulefan is being educational (and maybe persnickety) about the term "Local Rule".

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And could "or otherwise" include a statement on the Notice Board that said something along the lines of "All tractor marks identifiable as such are GUR"?
Me thinks that rulefan is being educational (and maybe persnickety) about the term "Local Rule".
Much nicer (and probably more accurate) than 'pedantic'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Here in lies part of the problem, without marking how do you determine what vehicle caused the ruts. If it becomes vehicle ruts are you including buggies? One of the biggest sources of tracks on the course where I play.