Tracking your stats

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I track putts, front and back nine and how many blobs. Also gross and nett scores.

So far this season the biggest thing I’ve noticed is that my putting has improved as I saw that was clearly the worst part of my game. I’ve also noticed I generally start slowly. Play off 18 but hope that’ll be lower once I land a decent round in a comp.

Thing is, has your putting improved or has your approach play? Meaning your closer to the hole and taking less putts because of that?!?

That’s why Putts Per round is a pointless stat

D

Deleted member 1147

Thing is, has your putting improved or has your approach play? Meaning your closer to the hole and taking less putts because of that?!?

Agreed, if you are doing putting stats, other than strokes gained (which I wouldn't know how to calc'), putts per green in reg' is of more use.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I use ShotScope and primarily I am interested in...

1) First putt distance v. Approach Yardage
2) No of putts v. first putt distance.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
my background in quality and process management says to me that stat collection for my golf, even when I am a member is more for the fun of it than any measureable improvement .

I’ve yet to hear any average club golfer say that the addition of star tracking long term has benefitted them in a measuable and value adding way, by implementing the learnings from the data vs spreading training equally or by feel across the same time spent.

I am in no doubt it’s fun and adds to the golfing experience, if you enjoy it then do it!

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
My instructor was impressed with the stats as he could see were I'm going wrong on the course he had me working on my short game a lot after showing him the stars and I have slightly improved on that he also noticed that I pull my woods left and worked on that with me I always thought i hit more right, for me stats are only going to show were you go wrong then you can work on that to improve you weaknesses

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I disagree. Over a few isolated rounds it may be, but I recorded putts for 30 rounds last year and have done so for 30 already and the difference is clear 39-32.

If anything my approach play has improved which has meant putting is trickier. Last year I'd probably chip on 14 times so putts shoukd be shorter. Now I hit more greens the initial putts are longer.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
I started tracking my stats in more detail about 6 months ago. Found a decent excel stats spreadsheet on the interweb which tracks Scores, points, putts, FW hit, GIR, U&D Attempts & Conversions. Lots of other stuff on there too about ave score per hole etc.

Whilst my handicap hasn't dropped as a direct result of me keeping these stats its certainly identified key areas for improvement, some of which were quite surprising. Just need the time and knowledge to improve those areas over the coming months.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never kept them before, this year on a Monday I sit down and write a line about each hole, e.g.

1. 3Hybrid, pulled left 1st cut. 120yd 9i, slight fade to right edge. 25ft, 2ft.

No idea if I'll keep it up or what use it is yet really, other than I have looked at the 4 rounds now and noticed a few trends emerging in terms of my misses on certain holes. The only stat of note is my putting, which went from 38/39 in my first 2 rounds to 30/31 in my last two. Nothing to do with approach play or total-distance putts being shorter, I didn't need stats to tell me I was putting much (MUCH) better.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Just to add....
Interested in seeing if their is a correalation between 'stats tracked' and handicaps.

Most likely yes. I'm Cat1, I track all my numbers in quite a lot of detail. So do all my friends who play off low handicaps. Once you start to go up, people start tracking less or tracking less meaningful stats (for example, putts per round or GIR).. The higher handicappers do not track stats at all.

This kind of makes sense - very little to be gained in tracking GIR if you play off 18. If you are playing off 3 and want to get down to scratch, it is good practice to keep stats to know where your game is trending etc..

I also find that lower hcp tend to "use" stats better i.e. draw better conclusions. For example, some Cat1 do realise that an average low number of putts per round probably means that their ball striking is poor etc.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most likely yes. I'm Cat1, I track all my numbers in quite a lot of detail. So do all my friends who play off low handicaps. Once you start to go up, people start tracking less or tracking less meaningful stats (for example, putts per round or GIR).. The higher handicappers do not track stats at all..

I like this post a lot, there will be a point where tracking stats becomes a value adding exercise. It’s not directly related to handicap but I bet it tracks it closely.

High handicappers are best investing in all parts of their game or basing it on observation. When it becomes difficult to observe and marginal gains have a greater impact then the value is generated.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Stats everywhere, Vpar app then I input my data on GolfShake even tho they have an Andrid app but I use the web, Intelligent golf gives me my home course hole by hole stats. I had GameGolf needed to concentrate on golf over tagging and worrying I'd forgot to tag etc.

Shouldn't take long too understand what you need to do without an APP or stats. more important for me club distance/control !

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I not yardages/shots on the cards as well as clubs used, then afterwards I record them in myRoundPro, which gives me Strokes Gained and I find very useful. Especially the fact that you can measure all parts of your games vs any level you choose.

D

Deleted member 15717

A Golfshake tracker of stats here...been dedicated to doing it more this year than other years, so every round I have played so far, when not a pairs comp, has been stat tracked. I may pay for the premium Golfshake membership too, so that it opens up more abilities to look at the data

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A Golfshake tracker of stats here...been dedicated to doing it more this year than other years, so every round I have played so far, when not a pairs comp, has been stat tracked. I may pay for the premium Golfshake membership too, so that it opens up more abilities to look at the data

I had the premium account and used it for a while. To be honest, in my opinion, it doesn't give you much more than you can get elsewhere and indeed didn't feature things like strokes gained. I think there are better options out there. What you do get, they do well, but I think it could be more in depth

D

Deleted member 15717

I had the premium account and used it for a while. To be honest, in my opinion, it doesn't give you much more than you can get elsewhere and indeed didn't feature things like strokes gained. I think there are better options out there. What you do get, they do well, but I think it could be more in depth

Speaking to the guy who runs it, things like strokes gained are definitely in the pipeline. Some of the analysis is very good

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A question for all you stats guys - when do you switch off the counters (or switch them on?)

Q comp obviously on.

Club swindle..probably

Friendly knock around at home? Away?

Club BB match?

Round of single KO?

I've just been out and played 9 holes with 5 balls...would you log each shot on its merits (or otherwise)?

Serious question