Tracking ball after a shot?

RandomReload

Visit site
As someone new to golf I’m finding it incredibly difficult to track my ball after a shot, it’s hard enough to make sure everything else is going well but I’m nearly always reliant on my playing partner for where my ball has traveled, it’s got to a point where it’s even impacting my swing as I try to get into a position where I’m able to follow the ball before I should be. Does anyone have any tips or advice to help with tracking the ball after a shot?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit it straighter? :LOL:

Maybe experiment with using orange golf balls and see if they're easier to follow? Or maybe if it's a contrast thing you should get some UV golf glasses to wear? I bought a pair recently that came with different lenses you can interchange, some of them were not dark at all but designed to block UV I believe.

RandomReload

Visit site
Hit it straighter? :LOL:

Maybe experiment with using orange golf balls and see if they're easier to follow? Or maybe if it's a contrast thing you should get some UV golf glasses to wear? I bought a pair recently that came with different lenses you can interchange, some of them were not dark at all but designed to block UV I believe.

If only I could hit it straighter lol! Someone needs to invent a GPS ball that I can track on an app haha!

One of the guys in our group uses golf specific glasses, to be honest I thought they were a gimmick but if they do offer some assistance in spotting the ball once it’s in flight I might have a look into them. I’m fine if the ball is low, but once it’s up in the air and if the clouds are that pale-white colour the ball just becomes invisible to me.

I’ll try a few other colours too, I play the cheap Slazenger V300 balls (still lose a lot... maybe because I can’t see them haha) and they seem to be offered in Orange and Yellow which might be easier to spot in the air.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wilson do some coloured balls at a reasonable price. It will come in terms of picking the flight out. Beware of consciously trying to keep your head down as that isn't conducive to a good swing. In theory the head should start to rise and turn as you go through the shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If only I could hit it straighter lol! Someone needs to invent a GPS ball that I can track on an app haha!

One of the guys in our group uses golf specific glasses, to be honest I thought they were a gimmick but if they do offer some assistance in spotting the ball once it’s in flight I might have a look into them. I’m fine if the ball is low, but once it’s up in the air and if the clouds are that pale-white colour the ball just becomes invisible to me.

I’ll try a few other colours too, I play the cheap Slazenger V300 balls (still lose a lot... maybe because I can’t see them haha) and they seem to be offered in Orange and Yellow which might be easier to spot in the air.
That's handy, you can ask him about them then. As I say, mine came with other lenses, one of them was purely see through with no tint whatsoever, so I wondered what the point of them was to be honest. But maybe the UV aspect does make the sky less bright and help you follow the ball.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said try an optician + a coloured ball, as you get more experienced you will have a good idea of the ball flight/shape from feel/sound. I have cataracts so find it a problem occasionally but just got new specs which do seem to help.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go see an optician. Seriously.
I used to play with a guy who had poor eyes, possibly cataracts but if not then something similar. We had to spot his ball for him. He was getting an op on one eye, came back and said what a revelation it was. The only downside was that he now realised how poor the eyesight was in his other eye, he thought that one was okay! He got that one done shortly after :D. I think your comment is worth checking out (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of us have problems seeing balls in flight.
It’s not just you.
With low cloud cover of varying greys it is difficult.
When your shot shape gets more predictable you will be able to pick it up better.
Don’t be peeking early you will hit more bad shots.
Leave it to your pps .
But as the others have said have an eye test it could be you are sensitive to certain light conditions and struggle to see certain colours.
So different balls is also an option.

Just a question “ do you have trouble seeing pps balls in the air”
If so then the Optician is your first port of call imo.

Last edited:

RandomReload

Visit site
I usually wear contact lenses so the next time I’m out I’ll try a round in my glasses to see if that offers any improvements. If not I’m most likely overdue a visit to the optician so will get booked in (does anyone know if nonessential appointments are back on yet?).

I’ve found that I’m not too bad with spotting for someone else, but wouldn’t say I’m great either lol! I’ll try a few of the other things also suggested too and see how I get on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually wear contact lenses so the next time I’m out I’ll try a round in my glasses to see if that offers any improvements. If not I’m most likely overdue a visit to the optician so will get booked in (does anyone know if nonessential appointments are back on yet?).

I’ve found that I’m not too bad with spotting for someone else, but wouldn’t say I’m great either lol! I’ll try a few of the other things also suggested too and see how I get on.
I would say it’s essential!
The price of balls.
My wife booked one last week no problem.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m fine at seeing a ball in the air, but rarely see them land. As I’ve been blessed with poor eyesight throughout my life, now wearing bins &/or lenses even after lasik 17 years ago (also due to hitting it so immensely far ?).

Can you see a playing partner’s ball in the air and/or when it lands?