Track man or similar dots

IslaG

Visit site
Are clubface dots applied for swing tracking training systems (such as Trackman) legal when left stuck on a clubface for a competition. I can’t see they create an advantage but would appreciate rulings/opinions This instance was 6 + dots on a driver Thanks

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are clubface dots applied for swing tracking training systems (such as Trackman) legal when left stuck on a clubface for a competition. I can’t see they create an advantage but would appreciate rulings/opinions This instance was 6 + dots on a driver Thanks

in theory, no…..but a PGA Pro a few years back got penalised a few shots for leaving them on his face during a tournament….so I would say they shouldn’t be there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....stroke-penalty-better-than-you-would-have/amp

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

IslaG

Visit site
This was a county level competition (not a Sat haggle) I’ve also searched the equipment rules - the baseline for ruling seems to be ‘change the performance characteristics of the club’ which they probably don’t but the argument was made that seven dots along the top of the face could be used to align the ball ( ie 3rd dot along to draw etc) Anyone got a ruling or precedent??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dots make the club non-conforming which, if then used during the round, would lead to a straight DQ……

Ditto to Rulefan's comments there is nothing in the 2019 rules which leads me to believe it is now a rules infraction.

Even the references to lead tape no longer appear in the new rules.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was a county level competition (not a Sat haggle) I’ve also searched the equipment rules - the baseline for ruling seems to be ‘change the performance characteristics of the club’ which they probably don’t but the argument was made that seven dots along the top of the face could be used to align the ball ( ie 3rd dot along to draw etc) Anyone got a ruling or precedent??

At a stretch I suppose that could be an argument under Equipment Rules interpretation 4.1a(3) but it would be a very big stretch in my mind as the dots were not put there to assist the player making a stroke.

IslaG

Visit site
We ruled OK too but it was a bit of a grey area without time to really research’ on site Competitors all happy - few parents not so much ?

IslaG

Visit site
We did a bit more than get a 2nd opinion! At this level we sought another county rules opinion and it was all discussed with the tournament director, I posted it as it was an interesting issue and one which will no doubt arise again as tracking systems develop. I believe we made the correct ruling based on the fact that there was no evidence the dots altered the performance characteristics of the club, there was no intent by the player to use the dots to align up or improve their performance and it was day 2 of the competition and they were in situ day 1 too. Later it transpired several players had them on their clubs too but not as many

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean the R&A/USGA clique that writes the rules? :)
The words are clear enough. Attachments which don't affect performance are exceptions,
I would not argue with the rules.
But it’s not a stretch to think that if you hit the ball on one of these dots it just might react in a different way to the undotted clubface..
Whether that’s better or worse is negligible, but it would change the playing characteristics of the club.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have a view on whether these dots do or don't change playing characteristics - I don't know enough about it. What I do know is that if they are considered by those who do know about it not to affect characteristics, there is no breach of the rule. Sorry if that wasn't clear.