Tour de France

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used to watch this religiously, bit since Lance Armstrong fiasco I haven't bothered.
TdF has always been suspect though so it's often been a case of best team including chemists that wins.
That said Pogacar has been impressive.
Tbh the doping was going on long before old lance took it to a new level, but didn't mean it wasn't exciting. Tbh I don't follow cycling that much any more, loved the 90 era, even though most have been proven suspect ?

Springveldt

Visit site
Tbh the doping was going on long before old lance took it to a new level, but didn't mean it wasn't exciting. Tbh I don't follow cycling that much any more, loved the 90 era, even though most have been proven suspect ?
Big Mig must have been so full of gear to drag his massive frame up the mountains at the same pace as all the lighter guys. From then on you had guys pushing it more and more like Riis and Armstrong. The year Riis won it he looked like he was out for a training ride most days.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to watch this religiously, bit since Lance Armstrong fiasco I haven't bothered.
TdF has always been suspect though so it's often been a case of best team including chemists that wins.
I watched since the last Greg Lemond win and all through the Armstrong years. Festina scandal and everything.
Went to France once to watch the tour around Annecy. Even cycled the TT route in 1:25ish. Contador winning in 50ish minutes the next day ;-(

I stopped watching after the 2nd Froome win and the team sky things when doctors couldn't remember what they ordered for who, ...
But they are only 'levelling the playing field', right?

I think TUEs belong out of professional sport. If you have asthma, cycle at the back.
The same drugs they use to cycle faster I used to not to die in 2015.

Watched yesterday for the 1st time in years and it was a little bit exciting as a spectacle, even if I don't know any of the riders anymore.
I might even watch today and tomorrow, seem to be classic cols on the program.

Springveldt

Visit site
I watched since the last Greg Lemond win and all through the Armstrong years. Festina scandal and everything.
Went to France once to watch the tour around Annecy. Even cycled the TT route in 1:25ish. Contador winning in 50ish minutes the next day ;-(

I stopped watching after the 2nd Froome win and the team sky things when doctors couldn't remember what they ordered for who, ...
But they are only 'levelling the playing field', right?

I think TUEs belong out of professional sport. If you have asthma, cycle at the back.
The same drugs they use to cycle faster I used to not to die in 2015.

Watched yesterday for the 1st time in years and it was a little bit exciting as a spectacle, even if I don't know any of the riders anymore.
I might even watch today and tomorrow, seem to be classic cols on the program.
That TT by Contador actually made me laugh out loud while watching it. The fact he beat Cancellara (who had basically rested the days leading up to it) and Wiggins over that course was just mind blowing and a huge red flag for me. I even mentioned it to a mate saying "Contador now climbs better than Pantani and TT better than Indurain".

Pogacar looks like Armstrong reincarnated to me (hopefully without the medical assistance). Not only the best TT but also the best climber and he's only 23.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is getting tasty!! Vingegaard looked like that was a proper effort, has he burnt his matches too soon? Concern for Pogacar is, today was only 2 days after a rest day! Is he spent already with dwindling support? Is this setting up nicely for Ineos and Thomas (and or Yates/Pidcock!)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tomorrow probably won’t kick off until very late as Jumbo Visma will control the tempo,Ineos will just follow.
Pogacar has very few options as his team has crumbled and after his ride today has shown he’s human after all.
Quite surprised by Pogacar today as he certainly showed no signs of it happening.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that was great. Was reading someone yesterday, can’t remember where, saying that Vingegaard could be a big risk to Pogacar today but they were talking about equalling him rather than smashing him!

Springveldt

Visit site
Wow, just ignore all my earlier posts. ? Pogacar has looked so good again this year I was expecting a procession and a fight for the minor places.

Looks like we have a proper race on now.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Awesome working over from JV, knew exactly what they were doing for the whole stage. So Pogacar is only human, with hardly any team around him I think he will have to play the long game now, sit in for the next few days then go all out attack on the last big mountain day.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a rather wonderful translation of an article from a Belgian website describing Pog's super domestique rafal majka as a "luxury henchman".
Not so much lost in Translation as substantially augmented.
Another ridiculous stage today.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a rather wonderful translation of an article from a Belgian website describing Pog's super domestique rafal majka as a "luxury henchman".
Not so much lost in Translation as substantially augmented.
Another ridiculous stage today.
Great stage wasn’t it.
Poo or bust tomorrow for Pogacar.
He certainly didn’t have what he needed today.