Topics for GM mental game expert to cover

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
afternoon all

Every few months we come up with topics/issues for sports psychologist Gary Leboff to cover in his mental game column in GM

As ever keen to get the GM forumers involved so wondered if anyone out there had a mental game problem/scenario they wanted solving or a question they wanted to put to Gary?

Post away if you have

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Mike, I really enjoyed his recent article and plan going out today to play 'Reactive Golf'

If there's anything mental that can help with putting I'd love to read it although see your doing a big thing on putting in your next issue so may already be covered?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Mark

the putting supplement with the June issue is going to focus on tips and kit so please do expand on any putting issue for Gary to address

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Don't know if it's been covered before, but how about "closing out" a good round.

One example from last year springs to mind, I had a good front 9, started par, par on the back 9, then a triple bogey. Played well after that as I felt I was chasing the round. Nailed a couple of birdies and got the round back on track. I knew that a par on our par 5 18th, would drop my handicap by a shot.

I could barely grip the club on the tee as my hands were shaking so much. I then had to lay up next to a burn, which I managed somehow. Had an 8 iron onto the green, hands shaking so badly, I thinned it. Came off with a par but I really felt alarmed by how stressed I felt.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mike

My biggest problem is staying focussed for the full round, I get through the first 12 holes ok but feel my concentration levels drop on the back 9 for some unknown reason I tend to over think things also find the more I try to concentrate at this point the more distracted I seem to get.
Tips on how to keep it going for the whole round would be great.

John

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mike, again not sure if it has been done before but...

I could do with some mental advice to instill confidence during a round, after a poor hole. How to get back on track as such. If I am confident I play pretty well, but one bad hole and I begin mentally picking away at myself thinknig about all the things I do wrong and begin trying to get too technical resulting in even worse results. It is not uncommon for one poor hole early on in a round to result in all of the following holes being pretty poor.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me, a bit of advice on the following would help:

1. Conquering first tee nerves.
2. Recovering composure after one or a series of bad shots.
3. How to get over your aprehension at your 'Bogey Hole'.
4. How to shut out nagging doubts when you are sure that one of you clubs is just not working.

These points may be a bit trivial in the bigger scheme of things but they affect me on the course.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd like to find out how I can improve my game in medals, I just seem to fall apart when it's every shot counts as opposed to matchplay or stableford when I'm usually quite consistent.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mike

Mentioned a little before by GB72 but the killer to get over and that affects 100% of us club golfers is getting over a disaster hole in a medal round and getting back on track

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me, a bit of advice on the following would help:

1. Conquering first tee nerves.
2. Recovering composure after one or a series of bad shots.
3. How to get over your aprehension at your 'Bogey Hole'.
4. How to shut out nagging doubts when you are sure that one of you clubs is just not working.

These points may be a bit trivial in the bigger scheme of things but they affect me on the course.

I have to agree with all of these, it seems to be where I am going wrong.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Please PLEASE PLEASE don't do anything that mentions the sh*nks because it will only lead one way!

I think a feature on staying calm in the midst of a pressure situation such as a first win would be nice. Its hard not to get carried away when you're in a good position down the stretch and I'm just thinking about Johnson Wagner's close-out last night in the Shell Open. How many of us wouldve fallen apart after seeing a 5 shot lead become 1, especially with the last spot at AUGUSTA on the line!? The way he was able to knuckle down and stay with it to see it through was great to watch - If any of us is lucky enough to be in a similar position this year ourselves, going for the breakthrough win, then any nerve calming tips will be greatly accepted.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Believe it or not, if i have any thoughts of shanks on the course or practice grounds, I analyse how it could happen then avoid that scenario/setup and it works for me.
In other words, become familiar with how it happens, maybe even hit a few trying to shank it, you'd be surprised how hard it is to do at will.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anything that can help find some rhythm on the course. In the medal on saturday, I never felt like I was in control of the swing and this all felt to a lack of rhythm.

Something on how to truly find the confidence to hit another shot of the type you recently made a balls up of e.g. a 30yd pitch that you hit a mile fat on the 3rd and then having a similar shot on the 8th and not thinking 'mustn't do that again'.

Anything on how to make yourself believe that you will hole out from 10' and in and to be disappointed if you miss and not have it as a confirmation of what you thought was going to happen.

How to mentally map your way around your home course. On your home course, you should know which holes to attack and which to play safe on and how to recover from a bad one and when to be really pleased with yourself and use it for more benefit. Unlike every hole being a disaster/brilliant depending on the double bogey/birdie ratio!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd like to expand on the putting theme. Have terrible trouble with the little two footers and despite hours on the practice green and a putting lesson the old familiar voice is there "you're going to miss. You never hole these"

How can I banish the demon and more importantly what do I do once one has lipped out or more often than not been pushed or pulled wide. How do I stop the negative thoughts on the next green