Top 5 lesser-known film recommendations

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Okay, so forget all the box-office smashes and the films that everyone knows about. What are your top 5 lesser-known films....ones you'd recommend to someone who's likely never heard of them?

Napoleon Dynamite
K-PAX
Drive
The Outsiders
Class

(Only mention those last two as they're quite old and the younger generation might never have heard of them. In that category I'd also recommend The Breakfast Club.)

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Napoleon Dynamite good call i loved that film.

Clerks
Mallrats another kevin Smith film
Renaissance man
Gentlemen Bronco's
Twin Town

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Napoleon Dynamite good call i loved that film.

Clerks
Mallrats another kevin Smith film
Renaissance man
Gentlemen Bronco's
Twin Town

Good call on Clerks.

I also love Mallrats, but it's a terrible film for someone who's not "in the know" Kevin Smith-wise.

I'll go:

12 Angry Men
Boiler Room
The Game (directed by David Fincher - "Se7en", "Panic Room", "fight club" etc)

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any Given Sunday - even if you don't understand American Football, it's an amazing Oliver Stone piece of work

Eight Men Out - the true story of how the 1919 World Series was fixed and why Shoeless Joe Jackson was rightly banned forever

The Rookie - true story of a 35-year old, Jim Morris, making it to the major leagues. Always makes me cry when he finally makes it and phones home to tell his family

The Legend of Bagger Vance - the only decent golf film ever made

Major League - it's your typical worst team overcome the odds film but it's bloody funny

S

Snelly

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Amores Perros
City of God
Donnie Darko
Serenity
The Royal Tenenbaums

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any Given Sunday - even if you don't understand American Football, it's an amazing Oliver Stone piece of work

Eight Men Out - the true story of how the 1919 World Series was fixed and why Shoeless Joe Jackson was rightly banned forever

The Rookie - true story of a 35-year old, Jim Morris, making it to the major leagues. Always makes me cry when he finally makes it and phones home to tell his family

The Legend of Bagger Vance - the only decent golf film ever made

Major League - it's your typical worst team overcome the odds film but it's bloody funny

If we're talking American Football films (where you don't need to understand American Football)...

We Are Marshall - true story and most incredible.

Remember The Titans - Denzel. Say no more.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Near Dark: Great vampire film in a really interesting setting and made before vampires were 'cool'.

In Bruges: Great film, very funny.

Will think of some more later

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dogma My favourite Kevin Smith film. Although most of his could be included. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/

Fargo Cohen brothers classic black comedy. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/

A Simple plan Superb film from Sam Raimi (of Evil dead & Spiderman fame). Billy bob Thornton's best role. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0120324/

Dawn of the Dead 2004 remake. Easily the best zombie flick ever. Miles better than the original, no matter what anyone says. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/

Apocalypto Awesome film from weirdo Mel Gibson. Get past the Subtitles and you'll love it. Easily his best movie. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Life is beautiful. Holocaust comedy of sorts. Italian Language. Won several Academy Awards. Buy hankies.

Office Space. 1990's American comedy about life in a nondescript office. Very funny. Stars Ron Livingston.

Swingers Tale of out of work actors in LA who go out partying. Vince Vaughn's breakthrough performance.

I can also highly recommend Napoleon Dynamite. Love it.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some classics from France but must-sees:

Le Diner de Cons - soon to be b#@$t3rdised by yanks as Dinner for Schmucks

Le Bonheur est dans le Pre -Cantona has a bit part.

Le Placard -

Tais Toi -

Pere Noel est une ordure -

Les Valseuses -

all comedies in case you didn't think the French did funny :) :D

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I watched this last week......and ended up crying my eyes out !!!

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sean of the dead
police story jackie chan early stuff? prob too well known tbh.

In Bruges has been on TV lately, so (as they're always repeating things these days), I'll record it next time.

Shaun of the Dead pretty well known too really, but I like you're thinking about the early Jackie Chan stuff. Armour of God I think was my favourite of his. His battle with the four Amazonian women was great.

znuffzz

Head Pro
Visit site
Oldboy
Ichii The Killer
Ong Bak
Tremors
Escape From New York

n.b. for the kevin smith fans i always rated Chasing Amy

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good call on Tremors. Escape From New York's great too.

For fans of scary films, The Changeling. Bloody hell, gives me goose bumps just thinking about it!!

Oh, and someone mentioned hating Woody Allen films in the other thread...watch Sleeper and tell me it's not brilliant.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Tried to get a bit of mix which i hope some of you may not have seen

The Killing - One of Kubricks early films which seems to get overshadowed by later works.

Still Crazy - comedy only similar lines of this is spinal tap.

Death at a Funeral - panned by critics but this original is brilliant. Remade in Bollywood and Hollywood which don't come close.

American Psycho - Brilliant Christian Bale, before the lighting incident.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring - a Korean film following the life of a monk on a small floating island