Too short with a driver... compared to other clubs. Cause (and fix!)

Zig

Visit site
The 'Small tweak has added 25 yards' has motivated me to post. I know this isn't the WRX forum, so I don't mind posting the distances I hit it on here... I'm aware it's not as far as many others hit it.

My SS is around 98-100mph. Wedge goes about 115, 7I about 150/155, and 4 iron about 180. I'm happy with these, and pretty consistent. However, beyond that, I'm not getting enough bang from the other clubs in my bag. I played yesterday with two guys off lower handicaps than me, and our iron distances were pretty similar throughout, but I was a good ten yards behind one on every tee, and 30 behind the other. They could both hit 3 woods further than I hit my driver.

My gut feeling is an in to out swing path loses more distance the longer the shaft... meaning I get too much spin and left to right curve - would that make sense?
Anything else people could suggest? Gonna have a few nights at the range this week determined to learn how to hit a driver further!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 'Small tweak has added 25 yards' has motivated me to post. I know this isn't the WRX forum, so I don't mind posting the distances I hit it on here... I'm aware it's not as far as many others hit it.

My SS is around 98-100mph. Wedge goes about 115, 7I about 150/155, and 4 iron about 180. I'm happy with these, and pretty consistent. However, beyond that, I'm not getting enough bang from the other clubs in my bag. I played yesterday with two guys off lower handicaps than me, and our iron distances were pretty similar throughout, but I was a good ten yards behind one on every tee, and 30 behind the other. They could both hit 3 woods further than I hit my driver.

My gut feeling is an in to out swing path loses more distance the longer the shaft... meaning I get too much spin and left to right curve - would that make sense?
Anything else people could suggest? Gonna have a few nights at the range this week determined to learn how to hit a driver further!

go and have a session on trackman or similar and find out your numbers and/or see a pro for advice, anything else will be pure speculation

Reactions: Zig

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First thing, why worry what other people hit and how far? You can only control your own ball and so play to your own limits. If you are concerned by driver distances, get a pro to look at it in a lesson so they can help you get a better strike and AoA

Zig

Visit site
First thing, why worry what other people hit and how far? You can only control your own ball and so play to your own limits. If you are concerned by driver distances, get a pro to look at it in a lesson so they can help you get a better strike and AoA

Am hoping to get booked in for a lesson when the nights lighten up a bit, maybe nearer to Easter. There's nowhere doing lessons by the time I finish work. At the min, I only get chance to golf once a week, which is when I play in the comp. Hence the post looking for any quick fixes till then!

As for comparing with the others, it was just really noticeable that on the par 3s etc, we were hitting the same clubs the same distances. Then when we were hitting driver, I was hitting 5 irons in to their 8 irons. I'd like to be hitting more 8 irons in... I can hit it a lot closer with one of them than I can with a five iron! :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am hoping to get booked in for a lesson when the nights lighten up a bit, maybe nearer to Easter. There's nowhere doing lessons by the time I finish work. At the min, I only get chance to golf once a week, which is when I play in the comp. Hence the post looking for any quick fixes till then!

As for comparing with the others, it was just really noticeable that on the par 3s etc, we were hitting the same clubs the same distances. Then when we were hitting driver, I was hitting 5 irons in to their 8 irons. I'd like to be hitting more 8 irons in... I can hit it a lot closer with one of them than I can with a five iron! :)

I get it and the shorter the iron the better the accuracy. Is there not a range nearby that could do lessons in the evening? It might be a simple tweak regarding angle of attack, ball position etc so you have something to work on before the season

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you do a fitting for your driver? When I did mine two years back it wasn't just about finding the right driver, but the right set-up as well - he even told me to switch to a slightly lower tee for example - so it was all very helpful. I see from your signature that you have a new model already (otherwise I would have been straight in with the 'buy a new driver' comment ? ) so maybe just a trackman session with a pro would sort you out. Or even an hour on the trackman by yourself and do a bit of trial and error with the numbers - cheaper approach but might take longer to get it right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Not really, until we discover if the swing path is in to out or the curve is left to right.
It's unlikely to be both as you'd have to aim wayyyyy left unless you're left handed

Zig

Visit site
Not really, until we discover if the swing path is in to out or the curve is left to right.
It's unlikely to be both as you'd have to aim wayyyyy left unless you're left handed
Thanks so much for the reply... my mistake.. out to in. Great spot.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're playing off 6 or 7 it can't be that bad.
You will loose distance as you will be giving it a glancing blow with an open face more likely, adding loft.
Have you tried a softer shaft in your driver?

Zig

Visit site
If you're playing off 6 or 7 it can't be that bad.
You will loose distance as you will be giving it a glancing blow with an open face more likely, adding loft.
Have you tried a softer shaft in your driver?
Not yet, but that's good advice, thanks. My swing speed sits right between both reg/stiff. I'm not getting any younger, so maybe it's time to try a regular. (y)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You’ve got a decent swing speed and hitting your irons well. Now Driver, that’s a completely different technique. And it will be your TECHNIQUE that is holding you back. With the driver you’ve got got to hit up on the ball, and to do that you need to make changes to your set up.

Have a look on YouTube, how to hit driver. Check out Alex Elliott and Chris Ryan they’re pretty good.

Springveldt

Visit site

How far does your driver actually go? With that swing speed you should probably be carrying it 235-245 on decent strikes.

Also, what loft are you mates irons? Ignore the number on the iron. I’m usually around the same number as one of the lads I play with, sometimes I’m 1 club stronger if we are into a wind but he carries his driver 30 yards past me. Difference is my 7 iron is 30.5 while his is 35. He’s actually around 10-12mph faster with his driver.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You’ve got a decent swing speed and hitting your irons well. Now Driver, that’s a completely different technique. And it will be your TECHNIQUE that is holding you back. With the driver you’ve got got to hit up on the ball, and to do that you need to make changes to your set up.

Have a look on YouTube, how to hit driver. Check out Alex Elliott and Chris Ryan they’re pretty good.

It's a bit tricky to hit up on the driver if you have an out to in swing path.
I'm also thinking your 'smash factor' is well below the ideal figure of 1.5

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not yet, but that's good advice, thanks. My swing speed sits right between both reg/stiff. I'm not getting any younger, so maybe it's time to try a regular. (y)

There are a million and one things it could be. I’d first look at ball position and tee height to make sure you have a upward angle of attack.

Swing speed is only one consideration for what flex to play. And regular in one shaft could be stiff in another.

Shaft weight is also something worth looking at.

And be careful with the advice to cut down the shaft. Doing so can have an adverse affect on swing weight.

My advice would be to avoid YouTube, get advice from a good pro and get fit for the correct equipment.

Zig

Visit site
How far does your driver actually go? With that swing speed you should probably be carrying it 235-245 on decent strikes.

Also, what loft are you mates irons? Ignore the number on the iron. I’m usually around the same number as one of the lads I play with, sometimes I’m 1 club stronger if we are into a wind but he carries his driver 30 yards past me. Difference is my 7 iron is 30.5 while his is 35. He’s actually around 10-12mph faster with his driver.

I don't think I get 245 carry.. difficult to tell at the minute as I play links and it's been very windy for the last several weekends! It's either going a long way downwind or ballooning nowhere into!

Get the point about iron lofts too. In my OP I'm pretty happy with the distances they're going. It's at the top end of the bag where the numbers fall off...

Springveldt

Visit site
I don't think I get 245 carry.. difficult to tell at the minute as I play links and it's been very windy for the last several weekends! It's either going a long way downwind or ballooning nowhere into!

Get the point about iron lofts too. In my OP I'm pretty happy with the distances they're going. It's at the top end of the bag where the numbers fall off...
The point about lofts was to say that your top end may not actually be falling off at all if the other lads were using weaker lofts. Sounds like you need to get on a launch monitor to find out.

If the distances you mentioned are carry then it’s not unreasonable to think your 4 iron is 180 if your 7 is 150/155. Maybe you just don’t hit it that well? I had the same issue with my 5 and 4 going nearly the same distance as I just couldn’t hit the 4 that well, both were on average around the same 180 carry. Swapped for a 4 hybrid and it now carries around 190 on a decent hit.

You should definitely get a launch monitor session booked, you will probably spot an issue if any within a few swings.