Too shocked to comment on a breach?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Would a "careful mate, you can't move your ball like that" been at least reasonable enough, short of dishing out the applicable penalty. At least it would then be highlighted to them. If they did it thereafter, they could have no argument if they were penalised. Without saying anything, then it is clear they are ignorant of the rule, and will continue to do it until someone else finally points it out to them.

Or even " why did you move your ball"

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its always worth pointing out a breach, even if it’s “I don’t think you can do that.” Even if you know they’re in the wrong but don’t want any hassle, at least have a conversation to show you’re concerned there might have been a rule breach.

Why? How your inaction might be viewed by a 3rd party who might spot it from another hole/tee/fairway. If you do nothing you might find you’re in breach of rule 1.3, and you yourself could be disqualified for waiving a rule.

I have always used “I don’t think you can do that. Let’s check.” I keep a rule book in my bag.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something tells me that Hobbit's comment, although from Spain, is not from a native Spaniard. The clue, Sherlock, is in the signature, Give it big humpties. :LOL: Love it.

@Hobbit. You're not the Hobbit who used to post in the deceased Golf Magic forum, by any chance?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or even " why did you move your ball"
I was on the verge of saying exactly that to a playing companion when, with his ball in the middle of the fairway, he seemed to move his ball to identify it…OK, but he then seemed to move it ever so slightly to the side and to tweak it so that an aligament line pointed where he wanted it to. It was on the 18th and he had a rubbish score going…so I didn’t, but yes I should have.

I like the simplicity and ‘innocence’ of your form of words so will use them.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep... it was one of those situations where I had no idea what to say... pathetic on my part I know! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"What the bleep are you doing?" would have been in order! #bottler! o_O

He sounds like a old boy at my course, when we have pick and place he never bends down to do the correct procedure he just gives the ball 2/3 taps with his club. ?.

I also have never told him it’s wrong to do that.

John Evans 9

Visit site
He sounds like a old boy at my course, when we have pick and place he never bends down to do the correct procedure he just gives the ball 2/3 taps with his club. ?.
A friend of mine stuck to the procedure precisely. Once, he marked his ball, picked it up and cleaned it, then placed it carefully within six inches. Perfect. Except it was a competition in the middle of July !!

D

Deleted member 23270

One or preferably both of you should have chinned the guy. And his mate!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
On a related note.. If you accidentally move the ball on the green with your putter whilst addressing the ball, it's not a penalty, as long as you call it and move it back to its original position. Is that correct?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Had my own incident on Thursday, interclub 4BBB match, we're one up with 2 to play. Myself and partner to all intents are in for par 4, both under 2 feet but not given.

One opponent has driven OB, other is on fringe and putting for birdie, player addresses ball while his partner lines him up, bad enough, but remains there throught the stroke, of course he drains it.

It's a clear breach, also equally clearly done in ignorance, but what do you say without initiating bad feeling? I let it go and muttered to my partner on way to final tee. It's a very hard situation to be in, if it was an internal club match, I'd have no issue calling this.

Steven Rules

Visit site
It's a clear breach, also equally clearly done in ignorance, but what do you say without initiating bad feeling? I let it go and muttered to my partner on way to final tee. It's a very hard situation to be in, if it was an internal club match, I'd have no issue calling this.
Why should you be made to feel bad? It was your opponents who breached the rules. Instead of their blood boiling over a costly self-inflicted error, your blood is boiling.

Now, instead of winning the match, you are all square standing on the 18th tee. What was the final outcome of the match?

Why would you call it out in an internal club match but not in a (presumably more important?) interclub match? Does your club have a policy of going easy on opponents in interclub matches?

Steven Rules

Visit site
On a related note.. If you accidentally move the ball on the green with your putter whilst addressing the ball, it's not a penalty, as long as you call it and move it back to its original position. Is that correct?
Your post would be equally correct without the '...and call it....' bit:

'If you accidentally move the ball on the green with your putter whilst addressing the ball, it's not a penalty, as long as you ... move it back to its original position.'

Steven Rules

Visit site
My stock reply to this type of situation was usually " watch out mate if someone sees you doing that you'll be disqualified"
I understand your comment was a general one and not intended or adjusted to apply to the specicific scenario presented here.

But for clarity for those following this from home, in this scenario the penalty would be the general penalty, not disqualification. (Rule 10.2b(4) and 23.5a)

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand your comment was a general one and not intended or adjusted to apply to the specicific scenario presented here.

But for clarity for those following this from home, in this scenario the penalty would be the general penalty, not disqualification. (Rule 10.2b(4) and 23.5a)

Ffs, I forgot the emoji ?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Why should you be made to feel bad? It was your opponents who breached the rules. Instead of their blood boiling over a costly self-inflicted error, your blood is boiling.
Alternatively - for a more family-friendly outcome - while your opponents were lining up you could have said something like:

"Stop! You can't do that. You both need to back away and - Opponent A - you need to line up your shot unassisted."

Backing away from a stance without penalty - when the ball is off the putting green - is permitted under Clarification 10.2b(4)/C1. Backing away without penalty was always permitted when the ball is on the putting green.

(And don't get me started on the abuse of the term 'clarification' in this instance. It is more like a 180 degree backflip on the original intent of Rule 10.2b(4) rather than a 'clarification '.)