Too much muscle = bad golf

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found today at the range that i was using my arms too much in the downswing was throwing my posture out, dipping and resulting in a breakdown of my arms at impact ( i think )

Ok so i then worked on a very relaxed downswing only using the lower body to move the arms and result was straight shots and slight lack of distance.

So for me being a big muscular guy ( in particular arms and shoulders ) is a hinderance and a problem in the dowswing, does this sound possible ?

I need to turn my arms and shoulders off in the downswing , any drills ??

Or have i got this wrong ?

I need to forget the urge to hit at the ball and instead swing through it, if only it was that easy !

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Remember when you engage a muscle it contracts and therefore shortens. Which is why most people lament "I was really trying to smash that" when they top it!

Relaxed, quiet power is a nice way to think of it...

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Long Drive champions are built like a brick sshhhh house, too much bulk isn't an issue for them and there is nothing "relaxed power" about those swings!!?? In fact the English guy broke his toe swinging so hard!!!!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes but i am not sure they start the downswing with the arms or shoulders but the core

Amanda you are right i think, relaxed swing thoughts seems to result in a better strike

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've met Joe Miller - last year's Re-Max champ, who broke his toe on the winning drive - a few times and, while solid, he is not built like a brick bog! And Jamie Sadlowski certainly isn't muscle bound - just incredibly flexible!

There are quite a few drills for correct sequencing of the downswing - which is initiated by the hips moving to the left (rightie). Google is your friend there.

And it is true that too much muscle can get in the way of a golf swing. I know a world class power-lifter who has trouble making a swing because of his enormous upper body. However, there are many top rugby forwards who hit the golf ball a huge distance (190 with a 9 iron!) purely because of a balance between upper body strength and flexibility.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
2-plane swing is arm driven (as the shoulders turn flat) you can have as big muscles as you like, and use them. A 1-plane swing uses the body, the two rarely mix well.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So for me being a big muscular guy ( in particular arms and shoulders ) is a hinderance ...

the key bit here is 'for you'

it's exactly the same with many sports where people with muscles try and use them as an alternative to technique - skiing is anthor classic for this.

(I realise that only being 220lbs, and an ex prop rather than a current one, I'm unlikely to experience this problem)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am working on drills to swing with dead arms using the lower body to start the downswing

I can now feel the club weight !

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am the same as you.
If I try to muscle the ball I lose all my timing & accuracy.
It's amazing how far the ball fly's with correct timing & tempo, with modern technology applied to club design, you don't have to try & hit the skin off the ball.
The other major shot killer for me is if I grip the club too tight.
It tenses up my forearm muscles & stops me from having the correct wrist cock.
I play my best golf when I am relaxed & concentrate on playing a nice fluid shot.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's amazing how far the ball fly's with correct timing & tempo, with modern technology applied to club design, you don't have to try & hit the skin off the ball.

Couple of years back I stood on a tee with 3 mates who were all taking great pride in flexing their biceps (knowing full well that my arms closer resemble knots in string) - I took great pleasure walking past all their tee shots to mine stating "what a waste of all that muscle!"

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I weight train 4 times a week and have strength and size but there is no hinderence to my swing at all except for added distance which is showing since having lessons and building a good swing.  = Power LOL

*My little Bicep picture isn't working lol

Last edited:

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As my Grandmaster martial arts father in law states...."Hardness from Softness" by tensing us when hitting (or swinging) it will have a detriment to your power.

This is him proving it!

[video=youtube;q8w3NZwZ5y0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w3NZwZ5y0[/video]

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am working on drills to swing with dead arms using the lower body to start the downswing

I can now feel the club weight !
been trying to do this feel the club thing for a few weeks now - not managed it yet
stupid short muscles!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As my Grandmaster martial arts father in law states...."Hardness from Softness" by tensing us when hitting (or swinging) it will have a detriment to your power.

This is him proving it!

[video=youtube;q8w3NZwZ5y0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w3NZwZ5y0[/video]

Samuel Kwok one inch punch? What's that all about then??

This is his 'backswing"....

18inches.jpg

If that's 1 inch then I'm a Chinaman... or Japanese if it helps :mad:

feel... and real. ;)

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The driving power should come from your torso (Including shoulders) turning the 'arm and club unit' We understand that the clubface must be setup so that it will swing on and inside path to the ball but once it has been placed into the delivery position it is the rotational power of the body core that will produce the energy that moves out to the clubface and create suitable force to propel the ball. The hips and legs have a part to play in this but IMO they set the core up so it can rotate freely, the hips must clear so they do not interrupt momentum, the legs and feet are the platform that stabilise and position the upper parts. So my answer would be that too much muscle could well affect flexibility with a detriment to the swing.