Tommo gets the call.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
So I get a text. Harv, any chance of playing winter league for Royal Musselburgh, we’re a man down. Not really said me, I like to choose what days I play especially in the winter. I look at the forecast and it for strong winds. Another text from my mate, don’t you think your good enough. Well, I’ve not been playing that good for the last few months and you guys are all 2 HC or better.

Ah to hell, what time, where, who against and who will I be playing with. I was kinda hoping I would play with my 2 HC mate, but no. I was playing with the multi times club champion and a genuine scratch golfer, John Hall. I’ve never played with him before (two ball foursomes) never even spoke to him apart from the odd nod on the way past.

Who are we playing………..the joint league leaders after 5 matches or so, North Berwick West, they’ve won every match 5-0 so far. Royal Musselburgh, also won every match but not with white wash scores.

I didn’t want to let the guys down and I’m flattered they’re asking me for such an important game. Again, to hell with it, I’ll play.

Sunday morning and the wind is howling but our match kicks off at 12, Tommo playing last and the wind is easing up a little. Tommo chips dead at the second for a birdie, Tommo sinks a 30 footer on 3 for a birdie. We win 5 with a par after the opposition get in trouble. Loose 6 by a whisker on the green. We half the next couple then I tee off at the par 5 ninth. My partner pulls our second shot close to the trees so I hit a knock down a 8 iron into 5 feet, another birdie. We half the next two holes then I semi thin my approach shot into 6 feet on 12, another birdie. We’re four up and we half 13 with pars. Onto 14 and my partner puts it into 20 feet. The opposition fire it over the green, chip up to 5 feet or so. Tommo just shaves the hole and the opposition miss. 5n4 win. Better still, the team wins 5-0, against the joint leaders. We’re now top.

Well chuffed, my partner John played solid…….and here’s me doubting myself.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I dont know if doubting is the right word. I think it can be the fear of failure especially when playing this format and it's also a team game that puts the pressure on. Being 20 and 30 yards behind these guys has to be blanked out of my mind but my partner was so good with his iron play. Coming off a period of play when I was shanking at least one shot per round, sometimes 3 or 4, really puts doubt in any player though.

T

thecraw

Yeah I know. She was a Jock wasn't she???
And Tommo generally plays like an old woman?
What's the problem?:D

Was this not your tee shot at Walton Heath?

terrible-golfers.bmp