To take a sabbatical or not?

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did decide to take the sabbatical and I've decided that I'm going to rejoin the club in January/February. I've told the boss at home that I'm going to get back to it so its all set up.

Glad I caught up with this post, just at the right time.
I am at a different place to you La Lurcha but you have helped me make a decision.Our subs are due and I had almost made my mind up to go restricted at my club next year (no Saturday golf).
Age is catching up with me and I struggle to play to my already generous handicup .
Your post tells me something I knew deep down, I would really miss so much about golf and the people I play with.
So until they drop me I will keep my full membership and stop moaning that the holes are too long these days and so what if I use my driver on par 3s.
Best wishes to you and your family and EYG, as one of our posters says.
I will do the same.
Dewsweeper

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
If you don't enjoy it, stop. If you do enjoy it, keep going.

Stop thinking about your handicap, that shouldn't be the driver. How much you enjoy it should be the reason to get out of the house and play.

Glad I read this post....real help. I tend to focus too much on which way my HC is going rather than whether or not I'm having fun.

Puter Putter

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why beat yourself up, its only a game of Golf at the end of the day.

If you enjoy the game just chill and have a bit of fun with it, it's not too serious unless you are a pro is it?

atb with your Golf anyhoo!

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So to resurrect an old thread, I’m back here to sell some clubs for the father in law. I rejoined the club, but only for a brief period. In the 4 years since I’ve probably played around 8 rounds total. There’s nothing better than a round of golf on a lovely sunny day, but a cold frosty morning or when the wind is blowing a gale....no thanks. I’m pretty big into running now, still have the clubs in the loft. I think it’s going to be at least 5 years before I even think about rejoining a course. But I won’t sell the gear as I really do want to get back into it when the time is right.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So to resurrect an old thread, I’m back here to sell some clubs for the father in law. I rejoined the club, but only for a brief period. In the 4 years since I’ve probably played around 8 rounds total. There’s nothing better than a round of golf on a lovely sunny day, but a cold frosty morning or when the wind is blowing a gale....no thanks. I’m pretty big into running now, still have the clubs in the loft. I think it’s going to be at least 5 years before I even think about rejoining a course. But I won’t sell the gear as I really do want to get back into it when the time is right.

Ever looked into a points membership, allows a handicap and only a few rounds but the added benefit is I play a bit more in the summer and get to enjoy open comps (team formats etc) with friends on different courses. I'm slightly different as I'd love to play more but can't commit to a full membership as it would be giving up too much time I want to spend with family.

That being said, it sounds like you've found the right route for you for now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
i take a sabbatical every year from October to April. Start going tot he range again when the trailers for The Masters appear on Sky and quite when the ground gets too soggy or you need more than a light sweater.