To everyone in Scotland

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean Stableford is often looked down upon as 'the English game' by our cousins North of the border.

Usually in jest, inferring that its not proper golf.

Which, to be fair, is fair.

All of the above is said very light-heartedly ?

Glad you're all, at last, able to enjoy a game

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I mean Stableford is often looked down upon as 'the English game' by our cousins North of the border.

Usually in jest, inferring that its not proper golf.

Which, to be fair, is fair.

All of the above is said very light-heartedly ?

Glad you're all, at last, able to enjoy a game

Thanks for that. Never heard Stableford referred to like that.

My current club does not run many stableford comp but my previous one (Haddington) had a stableford every mid-week from May to September.

Just to be clear, I'm in Scotland despite my flag and allegiance ;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of clubs in England play mainly stableford comps with only a handful of strokeplay medals. Many would suggest scoring in stableford is easier. The ref is very tongue in cheek but a bit degrading too IMO as I don't believe its easier personally. Lots of topics on here about it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always thought that stableford helped higher handicap golfers to win comps but it clearly makes zero difference for handicap.

Reactions: Val

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve always said to hid that I need to play at least twice a week to keep my game together, after getting 36 points for first game in 70 days that excuse has gone out the window ?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of clubs in England play mainly stableford comps with only a handful of strokeplay medals. Many would suggest scoring in stableford is easier. The ref is very tongue in cheek but a bit degrading too IMO as I don't believe its easier personally. Lots of topics on here about it.

Even medal scores are converted to Stableford for handicap purposes using the current system. It just means that one shocking hole in a medal usually results in no chance of winning, whereas one bad hole in Stableford means you lose the score for only one hole.