tips for the short game. putting, chipping and bunkers

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My tip that seems to fix any new person I play with (if they ask of course) is for putting and chipping; don’t flick at the ball. Hold your shape through the shot and trust it to work.

You can make a bigger, more controlled, movement if you don’t release the clubhead through the ball with your wrists.

Explaining it like that seems to help.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
there is 20mins of tips on there. not all will work in every situation.

I didn't watch all the video but I'll bet its mostly about shallow 'divots' and using the bounce.
Perfect for soft fluffy sand but totally useless for wet compacted sand that most of us have at the moment.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't watch all the video but I'll bet its mostly about shallow 'divots' and using the bounce.
Perfect for soft fluffy sand but totally useless for wet compacted sand that most of us have at the moment.

what do you advise for this then ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

sunny here in Ireland this last while. along with the odd down pour.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A square stance and clubface
Ball 3-4in forward of centre
Deep 'divot' starting 3-4in behind the ball and at least 3in deep and a full swing.
If you open the face and try and use the bounce on hard sand you will thin it every time.

I'm not a fan of using tips like these TBH. I still think you can be picking up the wrong method, or poor execution more than likely make it worse.

always best to get shown face to face.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A square stance and clubface
Ball 3-4in forward of centre
Deep 'divot' starting 3-4in behind the ball and at least 3in deep and a full swing.
If you open the face and try and use the bounce on hard sand you will thin it every time.

Digging that size divot out of wet compacted sand must be hard work with a golf club! Struggle to do that with a spade in some of the bunkers I've seen lately!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Digging that size divot out of wet compacted sand must be hard work with a golf club! Struggle to do that with a spade in some of the bunkers I've seen lately!

as Bob says treat it like a chip shot, or better still ask your pro how to play the sort of shots you face at your home track and get him to show you.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for compacted sand i find it helps to deloft the club a touch to take some bounce off and get the club digging in easier.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's why I said use a full swing.

How would you play out of hard sand?

Even with a full swing trying to take that size divot would be a struggle!
That is a big chunk of wet compacted sand to be taking IMO.
I tend to use a method I saw Padraig harrington explain, a bit difficult for me to put into words to be honest but it works for me.