Time For A Change?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Your not the first to say " I am getting older and not able to compete". So I would not let that beat you up.
That aside, it's not coming up to the best time of the year either to fall back in love with the game.
There are mornings when my game is miles off my best, but just walking round the course at Norwood Park seeing the Buzzards soaring, Hares and rabbits running all over. moorhen chicks begging for flapjacks or chocolate on the ninth. Geese and ducks all over the place with there chicks. The mist just lifting over the first tee. Looking back down the 2nd fairway and seeing the Minster towers. It doesn't matter if I am 10 over or under, for four hours, I am out of the rat race and I have no problems.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Massive thanks to everyone for their comments. Nice to know that I can be assumed to be both in my 30s and at the same time getting to old to be competitive . To clear that one up, I am nearly 43 but act like I am about 12 most the time.
I think that most of the issue is about the people I play with and the club that I am at rather than the game itself. Do not get me wrong, they are really nice people but they do just like a knock around on a Saturday if there is no comp rather than a bit of banter, a few quid on it etc. The club as well has its issues, great course but it is very traditional and a bit stuffy and I am not quite ready for that yet.
As I am paid up until April there is no rush to make a decision and so I can see if any changes come about through the new pro (who is already doing great things getting more kids to play). If not, they plan will be to join the local 9 hole course so as I can scratch the itch when I need it and keep an handicap then use the money that is saved to go to form meets (that I have been very lax in getting to recently), to play a few more courses, play the odd round as a guest at my club and at Stapleford Park where my brother plays and to enter a few opens.
I think the rest is a good idea as well. I am committed to playing a couple of rounds this weekend (I actually managed to get permission for that ) then the clubs may go away for a while.
The plan is, in theory, to play less golf but be more selective in the golf I play, to give myself more variety in both where I play and who I play with.
As for the inlaws, I am just going to have to live with that one I suspect. Still, as a member of a shorter 9 hole course, there may sometimes still be time to fit in 9 holes before or after family commitments which is something I cannot do with a longer course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Massive thanks to everyone for their comments. Nice to know that I can be assumed to be both in my 30s and at the same time getting to old to be competitive . To clear that one up, I am nearly 43 but act like I am about 12 most the time.
I think that most of the issue is about the people I play with and the club that I am at rather than the game itself. Do not get me wrong, they are really nice people but they do just like a knock around on a Saturday if there is no comp rather than a bit of banter, a few quid on it etc. The club as well has its issues, great course but it is very traditional and a bit stuffy and I am not quite ready for that yet.
As I am paid up until April there is no rush to make a decision and so I can see if any changes come about through the new pro (who is already doing great things getting more kids to play). If not, they plan will be to join the local 9 hole course so as I can scratch the itch when I need it and keep an handicap then use the money that is saved to go to form meets (that I have been very lax in getting to recently), to play a few more courses, play the odd round as a guest at my club and at Stapleford Park where my brother plays and to enter a few opens.
I think the rest is a good idea as well. I am committed to playing a couple of rounds this weekend (I actually managed to get permission for that ) then the clubs may go away for a while.
The plan is, in theory, to play less golf but be more selective in the golf I play, to give myself more variety in both where I play and who I play with.
As for the inlaws, I am just going to have to live with that one I suspect. Still, as a member of a shorter 9 hole course, there may sometimes still be time to fit in 9 holes before or after family commitments which is something I cannot do with a longer course.

42 , i didn't even start playing until i was over 40.

if you don't enjoy it, have break, you can always start again in the future.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
42 , i didn't even start playing until i was over 40.

if you don't enjoy it, have break, you can always start again in the future.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink
The years go by, as quickly as a wink
Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
;)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone got a hankie?

Do you ever make a post that is of any use to anyone.... Read back your last 20 posts. It might be better for you to reply to topics on the daily mail or something as you never add content to a post... Rare for you to post more than a few words let alone a sentence.... Get it together.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm changing clubs this week.
Going to a more local club couple miles away. Can't wait for next year already will be able to play mid week again. Been tough with the 2nd youth born couple weeks back

Do what's best for yourself if you enjoyed going round a 9holer then join it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Seems like you've got it straight in your head which is a great start. Would be great to see you at some forum meets where it's surely more about the fun than going all out to win. Hopefully you'll find a balance that works for you going forward

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When was the last time you played Sudbrook?
A new head greenkeeper a couple of years ago has much improved the course and greens so might be worth a visit.
The only drawback is that its quite busy.
Pop down on Saturday about 11 (after the junior clinic) and have a chat with Tim, the owner and tell him I sent you :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
When was the last time you played Sudbrook?
A new head greenkeeper a couple of years ago has much improved the course and greens so might be worth a visit.
The only drawback is that its quite busy.
Pop down on Saturday about 11 (after the junior clinic) and have a chat with Tim, the owner and tell him I sent you :)

Been a few years since I played there but always liked the place. Will certainly pop down for a chat about finding games etc.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been a few years since I played there but always liked the place. Will certainly pop down for a chat about finding games etc.

Greg, it's in great condition for the amount of traffic it gets.
I'm working this weekend but after that i should be free, give me a shout if you want a game ( member there )

jay

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg, it's in great condition for the amount of traffic it gets.
I'm working this weekend but after that i should be free, give me a shout if you want a game ( member there )

jay

Will definitely take you up on that, I am around most weekends.

Glad to hear that it is in top condition. As I said before, I always enjoyed playing there. Think it may turn out to be the solution that I have been looking for, especially as I can still get signed in at Belton Park or Stapleford Park if I fancy a change.

Obviously you have an open reciprocal invitation. I am a member at Belton Park until at least April and so I can sign you in for a round any time you fancy at a cost of only £20.00

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck with getting a club that works for you.

On the subject of family/sport balance, I think that playing sport sets a really good example to your kids. Having a family environment in which going out and participating is considered 'normal' will hopefully rub off in a positive way on the offspring. My lot have always been encouraged to play sport and I think that seeing their old man out there having fun, enjoying himself and having a keen interest in something is a really good thing for them.

After all, whats the alternative? box sets, rubbish telly, shopping, mindless internet activities.....