Tiling advice wanted

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, plasterer by trade but started tiling a good few years back to add a bit of versatility. Became good (open to debate....) at it and is now my preferred occupation.
ive taken a job on, a 130 metre kitchen floor no less! Which in itself isn't a problem. That began when he mentioned the size of the tiles 1200x1200. I've never used these so all advice greatly appreciated. Alls I know is I need a billiard table type surface to lay them on.

how to cut them? Size joints? Double bed them? Any way of lifting them if necessary?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Cut with a angle grinder,5mm joints. Just lay on a good solid bed.
Leave sufficient time before grouting.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope that is 130 square metres and not length :)

When I had my bathroom floors tiled recently the tiles were laid on top of some plywood. Don't know why as I never asked. Might have been because they are upstairs and the ply went over the floorboards.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers fellas. It's a downstairs kitchen on a solid floor so no need for ply (although I wouldn't recommended laying tiles on wood. Products such as marmox or norcross cement based boards have taken over)

Floor is going to be spot on, I'm putting the screed down...... :whistle:

Its a kitchen in a farm house Val, sizes I'm doubly sure are correct mate

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers fellas. It's a downstairs kitchen on a solid floor so no need for ply (although I wouldn't recommended laying tiles on wood. Products such as marmox or norcross cement based boards have taken over)

Floor is going to be spot on, I'm putting the screed down...... :whistle:

Its a kitchen in a farm house Val, sizes I'm doubly sure are correct mate

I don't doubt you have it right mate I just think tiles that size are all wrong, 1200mm is the height of my fence