Tiger's chip last night

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm not taking anything away from Tiger at all - fabulous shot.

All I'm saying is that if you look at any/every Tournament you get one or more shots like that. Yes it was placed/played perfectly but there's still a huge amount of luck involved in it going in.

Just turn the tables - if Sabbatini had been chasing Tiger down and he'd played that shot, in that context and gone on to win - we wouldn't be talking about it now......That's the point I'm making.

Because Tiger did it - it's news. Anyone else - it isn't.

Weird that coming down the stretch Tiger has more of this 'LUCK' than anyone in history :D

Can't remember seeing a montage of Sabbatini's greatest moments... or many other players. If someone was chasing Tiger down the stretch and holed out in such fashion and went on to clinch the deal I think they would get talked about just as much (Bubba's wedge at the Masters, Byrd hole-in-one in a playoff, Schwartzel Masters finishing with 4 birdies etc etc) it just so happens that Tiger seems to do this more than ANY.

Had Sabbatini's shot on 16 (which hit the hole) gone in and IF he also birdied the last then we'd be talking about him more, instead he's a second place 'also ran' and will be forgotten about very soon, however Tiger's shot on 16 was ICONIC considering the situation and that he followed it up in pure style closing out the win - priceless viewing.

I think he gets the kudos but he went on to finish no where so its not that news worthy.
^
^
Totally agree.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had Tiger missed that shot and not gone on to win, it would still have been a major talking point. Folks would have said, ah the old Tiger would have done better - he's finished etc.etc.etc.

The shot itself was far more difficult than the Masters one IMO. In the context of the situation and what he was faced with - water to swallow up an over hit shot and blowing the chance to win, that took a lot of bottle and not many others would even have attempted it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not taking anything away from Tiger at all - fabulous shot.

All I'm saying is that if you look at any/every Tournament you get one or more shots like that. Yes it was placed/played perfectly but there's still a huge amount of luck involved in it going in.

Just turn the tables - if Sabbatini had been chasing Tiger down and he'd played that shot, in that context and gone on to win - we wouldn't be talking about it now......That's the point I'm making.

Because Tiger did it - it's news. Anyone else - it isn't.

But the thing is Ian, Sabbatini wouldn't have played that shot under those circumstances, he couldn't, IMHO of course, have played that shot under those circumstances. On Thursday maybe, on Friday maybe on Saturday unlikely, on Sunday, on the 16th with a chance to win - absolutely no chance, he wouldn't even have considered it.

Tiger plays those shots under pressure because he knows he can, he believes he can and he's proved he can. The reason we see and talk about Tiger doing it is because you know it's not a one off, you know it's genius.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But the thing is Ian, Sabbatini wouldn't have played that shot under those circumstances, he couldn't, IMHO of course, have played that shot under those circumstances. On Thursday maybe, on Friday maybe on Saturday unlikely, on Sunday, on the 16th with a chance to win - absolutely no chance, he wouldn't even have considered it.

Tiger plays those shots under pressure because he knows he can, he believes he can and he's proved he can. The reason we see and talk about Tiger doing it is because you know it's not a one off, you know it's genius.

I agree. You're right. But we're only talking about it because Tiger did it. If Tiger wasn't playing, if Kyle Stanley had done what Tiger did we'd have finished talking about it by Midnight Sunday...such is the Newsworthyness of anything Tiger does

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree. You're right. But we're only talking about it because Tiger did it. If Tiger wasn't playing, if Kyle Stanley had done what Tiger did we'd have finished talking about it by Midnight Sunday...such is the Newsworthyness of a anything Tiger does
I think though that any extra attention tiger gets has been deserved, just like when messi scored 5 it was spoken about 100x than the time berbatov done it. Don't forget though how much micklesons unreal flop shot got mentioned, ( the one at this years masters)

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Donald doing it twice from the bunker should get more kudos...

Difficulty wise, Luke's two bunker shots are not even in the same league as the one Tiger faced. Downslope lie and green in thick rough. Only ONE other player I think that would even consider this shot in the exact same circumstances would be Phil.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
as jack said it was probably the best shot he had ever seen,and i have to agree with that.

if he goes long,he loses the tournament,if he's short,he loses and he holes it:rofl:

he had to land it on a sixpence,from the thick rough and it was downhill......absolutely brilliant.

then a nice wee birdie on the last to just make sure.

i have to say its up there with the chip in at the masters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think from the lie he had and in the context of the event the one this weekend was better. The one at the Masters was Woods during his pomp. With all that has gone before in the last few years on and off the course this was arguably one of the first times in recent history that Woods has HAD to make a play. He found a way to get the birdies he needed down the stretch and the chip in was crucial.

Had anyone else made the same shot and gone on to win yes it would have been newsworthy. The fact that Woods is an icon (rightly or wrongly) just means that it gets blown up into something bigger as he is bigger news and there are other stories attached (his return to form, the swing changes, climbing the rankings)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Aside from his chip here is an interesting stat...............

Chuck out his Major wins and Tiger has won 61% of his tour wins on 6 golf courses....Torrey,Bay Hill,Doral,Muirfield Village,Firestone and Cog Hill.

Astonishing stat.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is there a reason tiger takes these shots on when others wouldn't though?

Sabatini would not have taken it on. Why? Second is a good result for him. Money in the bank and all that. It is easier for tiger to go stuff or bust, as for him, it's all about the win. Second is nothing.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aside from his chip here is an interesting stat...............

Chuck out his Major wins and Tiger has won 61% of his tour wins on 6 golf courses....Torrey,Bay Hill,Doral,Muirfield Village,Firestone and Cog Hill.

Astonishing stat.
Probably because he only plays about 11 tournaments a year, outside of the majors ... and avoids any course he doesn't like, or hasn't played well at.