Tiger's back!

sunshine

Visit site
Is it? - I had a look at the schedule and didn't see it

There is no way on earth that Tiger plays golf without a tv camera following him! Sky will probably rename the golf channel SKy Tiger for the weekend. Expect wall to wall coverage, as documented on this thread already :ROFLMAO:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
There is no way on earth that Tiger plays golf without a tv camera following him! Sky will probably rename the golf channel SKy Tiger for the weekend. Expect wall to wall coverage, as documented on this thread already :ROFLMAO:
It's appeared on the schedule for Saturday and Sunday now (5.30pm Saturday) - but the sports channels in the States are showing tonight's pro am which isn't getting shown here.

Visit site
They can call it Sky Tiger for all I care. Tiger's domination of world golf in about 2001 was probably a huge contributor to me taking up the game back then. Apart from his road driving skills, and his questionable attitude to the opposite sex, (hey no one is perfect!), I reckon we all have a lot to be thankful to Tiger for. Maybe Sky's actual dedicated golf channel has survived thanks to Tiger. Strange how the viewing figures are always up if he's playing. Just what is it about him that we (nearly) all like?
I just love watching him play, and I ain't afraid to admit it.

TigerBear

Visit site
They can call it Sky Tiger for all I care. Tiger's domination of world golf in about 2001 was probably a huge contributor to me taking up the game back then. Apart from his road driving skills, and his questionable attitude to the opposite sex, (hey no one is perfect!), I reckon we all have a lot to be thankful to Tiger for. Maybe Sky's actual dedicated golf channel has survived thanks to Tiger. Strange how the viewing figures are always up if he's playing. Just what is it about him that we (nearly) all like?
I just love watching him play, and I ain't afraid to admit it.

I'm like you I only used to ever watch golf (majors) because of Tiger. He's what made me pick up a club and start playing fair weather golf. And he's a huge part of the reason for my now unabated addiction to this beautiful game.

For me it's like watching a seminal piece of history, living through the rise, reign and fall of a golden era and immensely talented player. A player who was unmatched in peak ability and who literally transformed the game into what we know now.

Who knows what it is, the tiger effect? whatever that is, but as you say, tournaments, majors, pro-ams are always that bit more special and more interesting when the big cat is prowling. I can't explain it but it is, for me anyway.

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Few quotes from 'Cat'... actually watched most of it which was a mix of being fascinated by Trevino, Duval etc and isolating in a child's bedroom with Covid

"Charlie and I had a blast playing together again, playing with the Thomas family, again, we're extremely close so it was a bunch of fun there, was a lot of needling going on the entire day. We're pulling pranks on each other and giving each other some under-the-breath remarks that I'm glad they didn't capture. It was just a blast and we had a blast last year on the first year it was the same. We had so much fun out there. We had one thing we wanted to do. We wanted to keep a clean card. Last year we made a bogey in each round. This year we didn't, our third straight 62 which I think is pretty good."

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just watched highlights of Tiger/Charlie's first round on YouTube.
I'm no Tiger fan but the way he was striking the ball - just amazing.
When I heard he was thinking about playing at next year's Open, I thought it was a joke, but not now.
How long ago did he smash his leg to smithereens?
What I've just seen is not only a testament to Tiger's determination, but also to the surgeons who fixed him.

evemccc

Visit site
The fact he was young, black and athletic has always been the key differentiator in the world of golf. Isn't that the image they focused on?

Certainly is.

Never was it written (and not today) nor recognised - that he is half Asian.
The image and narrative was always that he was ‘black’
That was a key part of the appeal for Nike. Let’s be real about this

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Not so sure about that . Tiger always referred to his part Asian heritage.

Regardless, there was a time when all PGA Pros looked like they came out of the same neighbourhood!! (With the odd exception)

Yes agreed about the second bit, and of course Tiger did himself

But I think a lot of narrative-builders / marketers such as Nike, never highlighted his half-Asian background tho…the headline always being the first black golfer etc etc

Visit site
No, no, JT was definitely playing as well, I seen him a couple of times but not sure if anyone else was ?

Is this comment suggesting that the TV coverage highlighted just Tiger(and Charlie)?
I was only able to watch about 45 minutes last night, but I saw the following great players (and relatives). Lee Trevino, Gary Player, Tom Lehman, Stuart Cink, Nelly Korda, Nick Price, Matt Kuchar. It was great to see them playing. There were probably more, but surely the focus of newsworthy attention will be on Tiger. Like it or not, he IS news!!

evemccc

Visit site
Is this comment suggesting that the TV coverage highlighted just Tiger(and Charlie)?
I was only able to watch about 45 minutes last night, but I saw the following great players (and relatives). Lee Trevino, Gary Player, Tom Lehman, Stuart Cink, Nelly Korda, Nick Price, Matt Kuchar. It was great to see them playing. There were probably more, but surely the focus of newsworthy attention will be on Tiger. Like it or not, he IS news!!

I saw the PGA YouTube channel video segment on Charlie and Tiger — wow, Charlie Woods is such a talent!