Three cards for handicap

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On the back of several discussions over the last few months on this forum re handicaps. Is it time the three cards for your initial handicap was " tweaked".
In all honesty I think the current system is fine, if it is used " in all honesty". But it isn't, well not by all. At the moment if any golfer that has a handicap does not play to his hcap for 10 rounds. He gets 1 shot back. I would like to see something similar for new handicappers. I would like to see a reassessment of a players hcap after a period of say 3 months. On an initial hcap of three cards. Pars on holes are taken into account. After three months a player could of parred every hole. Yet that's now not taken into account. all courses are now being slope rated to make the game fairer. It is an adaption/update of the current handicap system. One which I wholeheartedly agree with. Yet I now think it is time that the initial handicap system was looked at.
Thoughts please me dears.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the back of several discussions over the last few months on this forum re handicaps. Is it time the three cards for your initial handicap was " tweaked".
In all honesty I think the current system is fine, if it is used " in all honesty". But it isn't, well not by all. At the moment if any golfer that has a handicap does not play to his hcap for 10 rounds. He gets 1 shot back. I would like to see something similar for new handicappers. I would like to see a reassessment of a players hcap after a period of say 3 months. On an initial hcap of three cards. Pars on holes are taken into account. After three months a player could of parred every hole. Yet that's now not taken into account. all courses are now being slope rated to make the game fairer. It is an adaption/update of the current handicap system. One which I wholeheartedly agree with. Yet I now think it is time that the initial handicap system was looked at.
Thoughts please me dears.
There is an obligation on the committee to monitor all players with newly issued handicaps. If it is not being done, it is not a fault of the system but of the committee.

Of course the 1 stroke for 10 poor rounds applies to all players including new ones.

In case you weren't joking
https://www.whs.com/

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the only real problem with the current system is some think a handicap is there to help them win things...and the current system allows them to do that by manipulating their handicap it reg gets mentioned in other threads on here.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There is an obligation on the committee to monitor all players with newly issued handicaps. If it is not being done, it is not a fault of the system but of the committee.

Of course the 1 stroke for 10 poor rounds applies to all players including new ones.

In case you weren't joking
https://www.whs.com/
I never knew there was an obligation on the committee. 😳👍

Siolag

Visit site
The system works, generally. People trying to manipulate the system will probably always find ways, but its cheating, and the games relies on integrity.

The worrying thing for me is how often you hear anecdotes of those who manipulate handicaps being boastful about it, sometimes with people they don't even know well.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Under the current system wouldn't they currently go up a shot after not playing to handicap(buffer) for as few as 5 rounds (particularly new handicappers) with 10 being an absolute maximum number and only then for existing players who happen to currently be on x.5?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Under the current system wouldn't they currently go up a shot after not playing to handicap(buffer) for as few as 5 rounds (particularly new handicappers) with 10 being an absolute maximum number and only then for existing players who happen to currently be on x.5?

Yeah we currently rachet up and down, its not a very responsive system. Will we have to put all scores into the new system? Isnt that what the states do at the mo?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah we currently rachet up and down, its not a very responsive system. Will we have to put all scores into the new system? Isnt that what the states do at the mo?
I read that as well but I don't see how that works. If I play a practise or friendly round it's not the same as a comp round at all. The scorecard will have scribbles on it, I might have blobbed holes I didn't care about that I would have finished in a comp, and so on. There's no way I'm handing in cards like that. That would be silly. I play 2 or 3 comps a month and that will continue to be what my handicap is based on - I think that's sufficient really.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I read that as well but I don't see how that works. If I play a practise or friendly round it's not the same as a comp round at all. The scorecard will have scribbles on it, I might have blobbed holes I didn't care about that I would have finished in a comp, and so on. There's no way I'm handing in cards like that. That would be silly. I play 2 or 3 comps a month and that will continue to be what my handicap is based on - I think that's sufficient really.
no i think it will just be like putting a supp score in, you just nomonate when you are playing for a score, rather than every round

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Well I would never do that either. As I said, my competition scores should continue to suffice.
I'll wait and see i think, if it a simple system with minimal effort ( and free) then I may put a few more scores in. I have had a few cracking rounds lately that if counted would have me a few shots lower than I am.

D

Deleted member 21258

There needs to be an app we can use for score marking, then upload straight in to whatever system the club uses. I mean it is the 21st century after all.

I would like to see this happen, I play mainly social golf and would like to put in most of the full rounds I play easilty and if they introduce an app to enter supplementary scores that would be brilliant.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would like to see this happen, I play mainly social golf and would like to put in most of those full rounds and if they introduce an app to enter supplementary scores that would be brilliant.
you won't need any Sup scores any longer you just nominate its a counting score.... or so i'm lead to belive;)

D

Deleted member 3432

I never knew there was an obligation on the committee. 😳👍

Problem is they are too busy thinking of draconian punishments for transgressions of dress code and wearing of wrong length/colour socks in particular to monitor handicaps :ROFLMAO:;)

Sorry but I'm bored and not played for a few weeks due to a dodgy back.

On a serious note too many people these days seem to be playing with a 'pot hunting' attitude.

One of the reasons I enjoy my home club, medal golf available every week.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
no i think it will just be like putting a supp score in, you just nomonate when you are playing for a score, rather than every round
It will be no different in the UK. The only scores that will count are comps and pre-declared, attested scores (ie the same as supplementaries)

Last edited: