Thoughts on these courses for society days

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I've just joined a new company and pleased to see there is an active golf society, with between 20 and 40 at each meet. The list below is the courses booked for 2016. Each meet is 36 holes - a morning stableford and afternoon team competition, with coffee, lunch and dinner. Prices range from £55 (Toot Hill) to £90 (Hankley Common) and the rest being between £70-80 - is this typical and does it represent good value?

So - thoughts on below appreciated, assuming that realistically I could only play 3, what would you choose? Hankley Common will obviously be one of these!!

The Addington
Sandy Lodge
Toot Hill
Cuddington
Hankley Common
Porters Park

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well, Cuddington would be my choice, but then as a member it ought to be! :D I'd guess we are around the £80 mark. Andrew who is in charge of our catering is normally extremely good and Simon and his team usually have the course in extremely good condition as others on here can attest. The only other one on that list that I've played is The Addington, which for some reason doesn't fit my eye; not saying it's a bad course, just that I'm not that enamoured with it. When is the Cuddington day scheduled for?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have played three of those courses.
The Addington is "okay" but I personally think it's a bit Mickey Mouse. Some downright silly holes, and some even more silly bounces.
The Cuddington is a nice course, played it for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Hankley Common is also a cracking course, but a toughie. Would suit lower handicapped players, higher ones will struggle a bit I think.
Out of those three I think that the Cuddington would be more suitable for a broader range of abilities.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Apart from one silly little par-3 hole with a very sloping green, Sandy Lodge is a pretty good course. Used as a qualifier for the Open last year. :)

Porters Park is also nice, but pretty tough with water hazards on several holes.

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far. @BiM, Cuddington is for mid July which is unfortunately between my stag do and wedding, so holiday likely to be tight. And where I live rules out toot Hill, So probably 2 (maybe only 1) of Addington, Sandy Lodge and Porters Park to choose from!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far. @BiM, Cuddington is for mid July which is unfortunately between my stag do and wedding, so holiday likely to be tight. And where I live rules out toot Hill, So probably 2 (maybe only 1) of Addington, Sandy Lodge and Porters Park to choose from!

Mid-July is well away from either of the diary listed major course works weeks and the Pro Am is on the 10th so if it is ever going to be in good nick it should be then………… :whistle: Go on, you know you want to….

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've only played The Addington and Porters Park of those on the list.

I agree with Smiffy re Addington.
Porters Park is lovely and I'd be back there in a shot.
I'd jump at the chance to play Hankley.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My golf society charges £70 for each day, which includes bacon rolls/breakfast and an evening meal. Courses we play include Blackmoor, North Hants, Camberley, Liphook, West Hill, West Surrey. We also play The Berkshire for £80, but that is a special deal arranged by one of the society members.

I wouldn't want to pay any more than that for a society day. If it was a really top course I would rather play with mates.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
My golf society charges £70 for each day, which includes bacon rolls/breakfast and an evening meal. Courses we play include Blackmoor, North Hants, Camberley, Liphook, West Hill, West Surrey. We also play The Berkshire for £80, but that is a special deal arranged by one of the society members.

I wouldn't want to pay any more than that for a society day. If it was a really top course I would rather play with mates.

Are those 36 holes Richart? This is coffee and bacon, 36 holes and 2 meals which I think is pretty good value for money. The price isn't really an issue, more the fact I can't physically take time off to play them all this year so looking for opinions on where to prioritise! I've joined a pretty large corporate so it's a pretty invaluable networking opportunity as well.

Even at 18 holes you're getting a great deal on those courses!!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Just looked at Hankley Common website, the society deal we have is listed as £147 so £90 is a great deal. Worth joining the society alone for this, cant wait to play it!

Visit site
good information
o.png

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Are those 36 holes Richart? This is coffee and bacon, 36 holes and 2 meals which I think is pretty good value for money. The price isn't really an issue, more the fact I can't physically take time off to play them all this year so looking for opinions on where to prioritise! I've joined a pretty large corporate so it's a pretty invaluable networking opportunity as well.

Even at 18 holes you're getting a great deal on those courses!!
No, we just play 18 holes.

We tend to play the better courses outside the summer months to get a better deal. Some of the days we make a few quid, which offsets the few quid we lose on others.

Hankley is the nearest club to where I live, and if you haven't played it you must. GM top 100 course, that holds regional qualifying for the Open every year.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
£55 toot hill is very good value, I play there regularly it's a fun type of golf course very score able with fantastic greens.

Sounds like a good move work wise ;)

S

Snelly

I haven't played the others but can vouch for Hankley and would politely suggest that it is in a different league to the rest of the courses mentioned. It is first class - one of my favourite courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only played Hankley, Cuddington and the Addington. I don't like the Addington too much and some poor holes and in the summer some very weird bounces. Hankley and Cuddington are definitely worth doing

D

Deleted member 1418

Used to play Cuddington a lot when I lived in Surrey as a number of friends were members there and it is a cracking course IMO so would definitely recommend that one.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would be another voter for Cuddington. I played the Addington many years ago and plan to go back some time, I played a couple of games with an Addington member recently and he said the course is going through a lot of work during this winter so I assume it will be in good nick during the summer