Thoughts on a new electric golf trolley - SmartCaddy

SmartCaddy

Visit site
Hello all,

Just conducting a bit of research on an exciting new golf product, and wanted to get some thoughts from you all here at Golf Monthly. The proposed product is an electric golf trolley that incorporates other tech features currently available to golfers, but are not often included as part of these trolleys on the market currently.

SmartCaddy would be electric-powered, sleek, non-bulky in design, and provide a host of other features for both the casual and competitive golfer. We want to provide a low impact, stress free golf experience with the convenience and competitive edge of the latest golf tech.

Electronically-powered chassis that holds golf bag and follows the golfer around course. It would also host golf gps and score tracker that has mobile app interface. This would allow you to allow you to see your distance to the hole at all times from the bag, record fairways hit, GIR, # of puts, and all kinds of other useful information you wish to store (leaving shots long/short, missing putts to the left/right, etc).

Wanted to get thoughts on this product, suggestions, frustrations with current products available, and any other input you see fit.

Cheers,

Nolan

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How long would a round take if you were entering that data in as you were going round? Sounds a bit excessive...

SmartCaddy

Visit site
Would be an optional input if you're looking for that type of analytics. The shot-tracking and distance information would be automatic on a display

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Two main players in the game.
Your product would have to be modern, eye catching and cheaper than them. Go mid range. Go bright.

SmartCaddy

Visit site
What if this was a product provided by golf courses available to rent to players? Would you consider using it for a small fee? We are hoping to launch initially as business-to-business to get our product and name out there, then hopefully transition to the consumer level once some momentum is acheived

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very few people hire electric trolleys - unlikely this would be attractive. The cost of electric trolleys is very competitive - meaning everyone buys rather than rents.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally think these follow round trollies look and are a bit daft, people I’ve seen using tend to be concerned on where it is behind them so keep it simple I think

As an observation my club hire electric trollies they are good for visiting societies where they travel together and don’t have enough space in there car for trollies

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My initial thoughts are that I would want to have an independent GPS rather than one supplied by the trolly manufacturer (I use SkyCaddie for its' accuracy) and I detest remote controlled trollies which are OK on flat courses but a nightmare on slopes as they easily topple over unless they have a particular low centre of gravity.
Having looked at your website, the trolly is certainly sleek, but that is never my main concern when buying one. The cost of accessories does seem expensive add-ons on top of the initial price.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I always use an electric trolley, but I just want it to carry my clubs and be dead easy to set up and to be stable in use, fit easily in the car boot and have a fantastic backup when things go wrong with it.

I don't need it to be remote, have GPS, score tracker and the like which can easily be got on watches, phones etc these days and are easier to replace, after a period, when better products come to market rather than having them on your trolley for years (If the trolley is good) and be lumbered with older technology.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always think that GPS on a trolley is a bit pointless. There are numerous times where the trolley is left a distance from my next shot and I don’t want my trolley right up next to my ball when taking a shot anyway. I have a watch and find that more preferable to using one on a trolley.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nolan, have you noticed on here we're all miserable so and so's? :D

Personally, price point is key. I have a trolley which costs ~£250 new, and does everything I want it to.

I will always prefer a separate GPS - I can't depend on a GPS built into a trolley if there is a trolley ban on through the winter months!

I think the idea of a following trolley is great, but again, if this pushes the price up then it may end up putting people off rather than being a selling point.

Possibly, having a built in, solid phone holder would be a better selling point than a built in GPS. I know the phone holders which attached to my trolley generally shake so much they fall off / drop the phone.

Also, do the batteries on your trolleys sit between the front and back wheels? Centre of gravity must be low, which is a good thing!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure how effective the "Go Kart Automatic" is but for me having a speed which matches my pace would be ideal. Also having options for adjustability on handle height and angle. I tend to get a tight lower back and think it's the slightly unnatural walking gait caused by the trolley rather than swinging a club.

The Go Kart is a no no for me as having the battery as an integral part of the structure is risky if you (or your other half) forget to put the battery in from time to time!

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at your website and your prices seem to be a touch on the high side.

You will have to look at the competition and see what they offer for a specific price and then try and beat them, but bear in mind you are up against tried and tested products, with a loyal customer base.

Personally I use a GoKart, now 8 year old and TBH I dont think there is a better trolley on the market for the same price, and their customer service is legendary.

One thing I would point out that your three year warranty on Lithium Batteries is a little on the short side, GoKart / Powakaddy offer a 5 year warranty, although theirs are a little dearer than yours.

But good luck in your endeavours.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m after a electric trolley and will happily take a demo off you for a year. And give you feedback free of charge.👍

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Not too sure I'd want my trolley to be following me, I'm sure I'd rather look at it and watch it than to keep turning round to see if it's still there, makeing sure nothing has dropped off or it hasn't fallen over on our steep banks. I do however fasten my GPS watch to the trolley as I don't particularly like wearing it when playing so I'm looking at the distance as I get to my ball.

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have had a look on your website & if the trolley does what it says it does i think you are on a winner.
I have always had a remote trolley & my current trolley is the F1 from stewart golf, service used to be very good but not so good now & the trolley is quite heavy.
if the follow me option is reliable then that should sell well.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have had a look on your website & if the trolley does what it says it does i think you are on a winner.
I have always had a remote trolley & my current trolley is the F1 from stewart golf, service used to be very good but not so good now & the trolley is quite heavy.
if the follow me option is reliable then that should sell well.

Yip I agree.

Good luck with your product and research. It sounds interesting and to be honest I don't see the point people are making with standalone GPS devices as the majority ( probably in excess of 99%) of people I play golf with clip the GPS on to their golf bag at the start of the round.