Thorbjorn Olesen - Arrested

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a major part of the problem is that these cases are in a massive back log of being seen to re Covid. Ryan Giggs is in a similar position re Charges hanging over his head. If they allow them to play, coach or carry on as normal and are found guilty. Folk are going to say something. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.
But on the basis that your innocent until proven guilty he should be able to go to work.
This is one of our biggest rights in law.
But seems to have been forgotten the last few years when being on trial by social media.
What if he is found innocent who does he sue for loss of earnings.?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think a major part of the problem is that these cases are in a massive back log of being seen to re Covid. Ryan Giggs is in a similar position re Charges hanging over his head. If they allow them to play, coach or carry on as normal and are found guilty. Folk are going to say something. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.

Ryan Giggs is on bail, so that would mean conditions were placed upon his release from custody/court. It may be that he's had to surrender his passport, observe a curfew or reside at specific address - I'm making educated guesses here as I don't have anything to do with the investigation. By going with Wales he could be breaching those conditions hence why they decided not to go - he could request for changes in his bail but that is not guaranteed that it would be changed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ryan Giggs is on bail, so that would mean conditions were placed upon his release from custody/court. It may be that he's had to surrender his passport, observe a curfew or reside at specific address - I'm making educated guesses here as I don't have anything to do with the investigation. By going with Wales he could be breaching those conditions hence why they decided not to go - he could request for changes in his bail but that is not guaranteed that it would be changed.
Am not sure, I just read he has no involvement for the next three games. But that aside it was just an observation that Covid is dragging things on longer than they normally would. ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Am not sure, I just read he has no involvement for the next three games. But that aside it was just an observation that Covid is dragging things on longer than they normally would. ?

Covid is definitely impacting on Court proceedings, but shouldn’t be having too detrimental an effect on the investigations that take place prior to someone being charged.

Sure, investigators and those they need to liaise with are working in different ways at the moment but, in my experience at least, investigative timescales are largely unchanged.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Covid is definitely impacting on Court proceedings, but shouldn’t be having too detrimental an effect on the investigations that take place prior to someone being charged.

Sure, investigators and those they need to liaise with are working in different ways at the moment but, in my experience at least, investigative timescales are largely unchanged.
Genuine Question.
Have the staff that do these investigations been cut over the years .?
If so does this have a impact on the amount of cases and the time it takes to prosecute them?
Does that mean more people are out on bail or on remand.

Billysboots

Visit site
Genuine Question.
Have the staff that do these investigations been cut over the years .?
If so does this have a impact on the amount of cases and the time it takes to prosecute them?
Does that mean more people are out on bail or on remand.

A good question to which there’s no quick and easy answer I’m afraid.

Overall police numbers are down, but in an attempt to protect core investigation functions most Forces have robbed Peter to pay Paul, and cut numbers elsewhere. Most traffic departments have virtually disappeared, for example, meaning very little expertise is left.

And expertise seems to be a real issue across the board. There is a national shortage of detectives, especially investigating core crime such as robbery, serious assaults and so on, meaning those investigations are now managed too often by either new and inexperienced detectives or uniform officers who don’t have the requisite skills.

I don’t think investigations are necessarily taking longer, although some doubtless are, but the standard has probably suffered and that in itself will cause issues further down the line.

There shouldn’t now be people on police bail for an eternity due to changes in bail legislation. Once someone is charged and in the Court process there is still a lot of work to do, but the current delays in getting cases to trial are Covid related because Courts haven’t been sitting in the traditional way. I shudder to think what the backlog is.

The above is an extremely simplistic answer to a very complex question.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good question to which there’s no quick and easy answer I’m afraid.

Overall police numbers are down, but in an attempt to protect core investigation functions most Forces have robbed Peter to pay Paul, and cut numbers elsewhere. Most traffic departments have virtually disappeared, for example, meaning very little expertise is left.

And expertise seems to be a real issue across the board. There is a national shortage of detectives, especially investigating core crime such as robbery, serious assaults and so on, meaning those investigations are now managed too often by either new and inexperienced detectives or uniform officers who don’t have the requisite skills.

I don’t think investigations are necessarily taking longer, although some doubtless are, but the standard has probably suffered and that in itself will cause issues further down the line.

There shouldn’t now be people on police bail for an eternity due to changes in bail legislation. Once someone is charged and in the Court process there is still a lot of work to do, but the current delays in getting cases to trial are Covid related because Courts haven’t been sitting in the traditional way. I shudder to think what the backlog is.

The above is an extremely simplistic answer to a very complex question.
Yes so fighting with one hand behind your back.
If there is nobody to uphold the law no wonder we are where we are.

I would say this is like a firm not training their own apprentices eventually you run out of skilled people who are not replaced and have to import lesser skilled people at a later date.
But all that knowledge is not passed on that’s such a waste .
Once those skills have gone it’s very hard to get it back.

Billysboots

Visit site
Yes so fighting with one hand behind your back.
If there is nobody to uphold the law no wonder we are where we are.

I would say this is like a firm not training their own apprentices eventually you run out of skilled people who are not replaced and have to import lesser skilled people at a later date.
But all that knowledge is not passed on that’s such a waste .
Once those skills have gone it’s very hard to get it back.

It’s certainly not all doom and gloom. Some of the work that is possible these days hadn’t even been dreamed of when I started - we didn’t even have basic desktop computers in 1991.

But there is a bit of an experience vacuum in some disciplines.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s certainly not all doom and gloom. Some of the work that is possible these days hadn’t even been dreamed of when I started - we didn’t even have basic desktop computers in 1991.

But there is a bit of an experience vacuum in some disciplines.

Yeah there's some with 4-5 years experience swinging the lamp around the place like the RT driver.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nailed it. Well done, me. ? View attachment 39846

He is responsible, not the zolpidem. He had 5 drinks before boarding and took 2 sedative pills. Alcohol and sedatives are disinhibitory and in combination are well know to cause episodes like this, especially on long haul flights, so perhaps deoxygenation plays a part too.

Looks like a large fine and a suspended sentence to me. And a ban from whatever airline it was.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is responsible, not the zolpidem. He had 5 drinks before boarding and took 2 sedative pills. Alcohol and sedatives are disinhibitory and in combination are well know to cause episodes like this, especially on long haul flights, so perhaps deoxygenation plays a part too.

I was aware, the behaviour was immediately indicative. Like I say, silly boy.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m glad - the punishment he’s endured for the last 2 and a bit years is more than sufficient for his conduct. He’s learned a very tough lesson already. What happened is very unpleasant, but ending his career would have been too much for me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I feel little sympathy for him. He may well not remember what he did, but he wasn't slipped these pills against his will. He took prescription pills for which he did not have a prescription after 5 alcoholic drinks. He then owns all that results. In my opinion, the disinhibition caused by such a cocktail does not change the true personality, it reveals it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure cabin crew around the world will be feeling too happy right now. Whilst I feel some sympathy for Olesen I feel more for the staff he was deeply unpleasant to. Surely you can't absolve all responsibility like that?

It certainly feels like he should be guilty of some kind of criminal offence, even if not the ones he was charged with.