Thorbjorn Olesen - Arrested

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that's a tough one for the ET. He certainly shouldn't be deemed guilty, but equally, he has caused some reputation damage.

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place scenario for the ET, they do what they've done and they get criticised for punishing a potentially innocent man, they do nothing and they effectively are saying bad behaviour is tolerated, especially if he is found guilty. I think this was a lose-lose, as no matter how, they handled it, some group would have complained.
He should be punished if and when found guilty! NOT before
As you say previously we are speculating.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He should be punished if and when found guilty! NOT before
As you say previously we are speculating.

Surely that depends what he is being punished for? Is the ET suspending him for the crime itself, for bringing them into disrepute, or for some other rule he agreed to when he became a member? Whilst he is yet to be proven guilty of the crime, he is guilty of damaging the reputation of the tour.

For most people, in this situation, they would be suspended from work on full pay, whilst investigated, and they may not have this information published globally. The nature of being a touring pro makes doing this impossible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that's a tough one for the ET. He certainly shouldn't be deemed guilty, but equally, he has caused some reputation damage.

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place scenario for the ET, they do what they've done and they get criticised for punishing a potentially innocent man, they do nothing and they effectively are saying bad behaviour is tolerated, especially if he is found guilty. I think this was a lose-lose, as no matter how, they handled it, some group would have complained.
I agree but in my own opinion I think the ET had to be seen to do something if only to protect its own image. I am sure should Olesen be acquitted at trial he will be given back his full playing privileges, although I am sure the ET disciplinary panel will lay down the law regarding ongoing behaviour in no uncertain terms

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree but in my own opinion I think the ET had to be seen to do something if only to protect its own image. I am sure should Olesen be acquitted at trial he will be given back his full playing privileges, although I am sure the ET disciplinary panel will lay down the law regarding ongoing behaviour in no uncertain terms

If he is acquitted, he potentially has a claim for lost earnings too. Could be a very interesting (and messy) situation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely that depends what he is being punished for? Is the ET suspending him for the crime itself, for bringing them into disrepute, or for some other rule he agreed to when he became a member? Whilst he is yet to be proven guilty of the crime, he is guilty of damaging the reputation of the tour.

For most people, in this situation, they would be suspended from work on full pay, whilst investigated, and they may not have this information published globally. The nature of being a touring pro makes doing this impossible.
In most I would agree but in your previous post you said “some group would complain”
So they are pandering to the twitter/ media circus.
It’s an accusation at the moment ,nothing more
The ET are wide open for a lawsuit if he is found not guilty.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has the ET really got an image to protect ?
They did nothing to a major winner who admitted damaging the greens and tees of a tournament course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If he is acquitted how can the ET lay down the law to him?
Acquitted means he’s not guilty and as such hasn’t done anything wrong so how can they justify any further action?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has the ET really got an image to protect ?
They did nothing to a major winner who admitted damaging the greens and tees of a tournament course.
Of course it has an image to protect and while I wouldn't condone Garcia's behaviour, a lot of the negative publicity was confined to golfing social media and press whie Olesen has been platered all over the tabloids and broadsheets and so reaching a wider audience

Acquitted means he’s not guilty and as such hasn’t done anything wrong so how can they justify any further action?

I am not suggesting they take further action but I am sure the tour will speak to Olesen about what happened and warn him about his future conduct. Something along the lines of a first written warning in the workplace. No further action at this stage but kept on file for a period of time

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Too late, he's been found guilty by the media including the ET.

He has not been found guilty at all by anyone.

What has happened is "his employers" have taken steps to ensure that he complies with set criteria and they have enforced their own rules to protect themselves for criticism.

You don't agree, that's fair enough we are all entitled to an opinion.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site

Whilst I largely agree to a certain extent you could argue that rather than not doing anything wrong, he would actually not have done anything wrong which could be proved to the standard required by the criminal courts, a civil case (or employment law case) could still find him guilty on the balance of probability rather than beyond all reasonable doubt.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whilst I largely agree to a certain extent you could argue that rather than not doing anything wrong, he would actually not have done anything wrong which could be proved to the standard required by the criminal courts, a civil case (or employment law case) could still find him guilty on the balance of probability rather than beyond all reasonable doubt.

Given the exposure on social media, news and the ET action a 'fair' trial could now become a challenge

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Given the exposure on social media, news and the ET action a 'fair' trial could now become a challenge

I think you're overestimating the reach of this into the general public.

If I asked my office if theyd heard of him or the event at hand, I'd give it evens that 1% knew what I was on about

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has not been found guilty at all by anyone.

What has happened is "his employers" have taken steps to ensure that he complies with set criteria and they have enforced their own rules to protect themselves for criticism.

You don't agree, that's fair enough we are all entitled to an opinion.
This is where I am confused as to the legal relationship between the tour and the player and the contractual obligations on the part of each other. The tour do not employ him and so it would depend on any contract as to whether they have the right to select who is eligible to play in any given tournament. I would be interested to hear how the legalities between a Tour and a player actually work. As they pick and choose events, often last minute, there is obviously no requirement on the player to enter events but is there an obligation on the tour to allow players of a certain ranking to enter events if they wish to participate. As I said, suspect the relationship is pretty complex.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you're overestimating the reach of this into the general public.

If I asked my office if theyd heard of him or the event at hand, I'd give it evens that 1% knew what I was on about

Exactly the image of the ET is not as high as they obviously think.
Suspending an innocent man until proven guilty is just wrong. Imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s put some perspective here if he was a teacher and was accused of interfering with the kids I could understand a suspension on safety grounds .
But he’s only a golfer playing golf .
What he is accused of has no relevance to his work .

3puttpercy

Visit site
Drunks on an aircraft are a danger to the safety of passengers and crew.
In an emergency they will disrupt passenger evacuation which could cause lives being lost.
As mentioned they should not get passed check in if already incapable.
But if they do drink airside stopped at the gate.
It is imperative this is done.