This maybe be a rules question, but......

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
This maybe be a rules question, but......I want to ask it here in the general forum.

I have just discovered you are allowed 14 clubs BUT the rules only allow 1 x club with a putter grip. In other words I can carry 2 drivers, multiple wedges, I could carry one club which is left handed, but I cannot carry 2 putters.

Potential - I may be a player who putts right handed for long putts, but prefers to be left handed on short putts. If so, I can't sacrifice an iron and carry 2 x putters?

I accept I could carry 1x putter with a dual putting face, but these clubs tend to be old style putters and very light.

Don't get me wrong, i respect the rules but my question is why? What's the logic which drives this rule? Why can I not make a choice to give up an iron choice and carry 2 x putters?

Anyone know the reasoning?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
This maybe be a rules question, but......I want to ask it here in the general forum.

I have just discovered you are allowed 14 clubs BUT the rules only allow 1 x club with a putter grip. In other words I can carry 2 drivers, multiple wedges, I could carry one club which is left handed, but I cannot carry 2 putters.

Potential - I may be a player who putts right handed for long putts, but prefers to be left handed on short putts. If so, I can't sacrifice an iron and carry 2 x putters?

I accept I could carry 1x putter with a dual putting face, but these clubs tend to be old style putters and very light.

Don't get me wrong, i respect the rules but my question is why? What's the logic which drives this rule? Why can I not make a choice to give up an iron choice and carry 2 x putters?

Two putters are good. As long as it's 14 total.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

care to post the rule that states this?

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my regular playing partners quiet often plays with 2 putters and he's never been called on it before.
I'm looking on this thread with interest.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I was not aware that this rule existed!!

I know many golfers who carry two putters - one for Texas wedge type of shot and another their normal 'belly' type putter and a very low handicapper.

Another has a normal putter and a wee putter for short putts and again he plays off 3 or 4!

The reason I bring up their handicap levels is that they must play in low handicap company every week and I am surprised that they have not been made aware of their contravention of the rules.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was there a thread a while back about a guy who had a heavier mallet style putter for long putts and a blade for shorter ones?!?

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok - it seems the guy at my club today was wrong. I just googled the issue and found a multiple series of articles on the subject. It seems there are in fact a few Tour Pro's in the past who have carried and used 2putters.

It seems this post is irrelevant. Which sort of makes me pleased as I could not understand the logic or reasoning.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok - it seems the guy at my club today was wrong. I just googled the issue and found a multiple series of articles on the subject. It seems there are in fact a few Tour Pro's in the past who have carried and used 2putters.

It seems this post is irrelevant. Which sort of makes me pleased as I could not understand the logic or reasoning.

I've given up trusting any rule without being shown the relevant page in the rule book. You hear some crazy ones out there!

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've given up trusting any rule without being shown the relevant page in the rule book. You hear some crazy ones out there!

Ahh but sometimes it turns out the crazy rule is actually a rule. That's why it's a great game - you just never quite know.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thanks for your view, but that's not my understanding. The rules state explicitly you can only have one club with a putter grip.

surely you didnt come on and argue with the countries leading golf mag based on 'the guy at my club' :rolleyes:

have you alerted him so he doesnt look silly again?

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
surely you didnt come on and argue with the countries leading golf mag based on 'the guy at my club' :rolleyes:

have you alerted him so he doesnt look silly again?

Thanks for the comment. So nice of you to be so kind and impart such good advice. I am sure to post again now I know the sort of reactions to expect.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not got rul book to hand so here goes. I think you are confusing the rule that only a putter can have a flat section on it ie putter grip so you can have 5 putters in your bag. Your just not allowed a putter grip on a 7 iron. Well thats my take on it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for the comment. So nice of you to be so kind and impart such good advice. I am sure to post again now I know the sort of reactions to expect.

didnt give you any advice:confused: I only commented on your argumentative reaction to Tommos answer to your question- you reap what you sow :whistle:

P.S you've been on this forum 5 years and you threaten not to post again because of a 'reaction'.......:rolleyes:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have not got rul book to hand so here goes. I think you are confusing the rule that only a putter can have a flat section on it ie putter grip so you can have 5 putters in your bag. Your just not allowed a putter grip on a 7 iron. Well thats my take on it.

anyone care to point to this 'rule', new one on me but I love to learn

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
anyone care to point to this 'rule', new one on me but I love to learn
[h=2]Appendix II – Design Of Clubs[/h][h=3]3. Grip[/h](i) For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or a replica of one.
(ii) A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip.