Thinking about the shot

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think more about the conditions than the actual shot, wind, lie, green position, hazards then stand up, address the ball and let rip.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I posted this because my putting has been vg for the last few months and I have just lined up each putt, stood over the ball and hit the ballt without thinking about any magic moves or the like. Similarly, my 7 iron pitch and runs have also been excellent and again I am not having to think about specific things before I make the shot.

Compare and contrast this with my long iron play (usually quite good) which has been dreadful and i am thinking about X,Y and Z before each shot.

Is this a valid point or should I call the men in White Coats before their inevitable visit ?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The less you have to think about a shot, the more confident you are about making it a good one.

Discuss...
Have to disgree completely SS2. I've always been told by top golfers that you should spend time trying to visualise the shot in your mind. I know it doesn't always work but surely taking your time helps in this game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been trying a new routine I picked up in a back copy of the mag. I'm standing behind the ball looking at my target with my club in hand. I try to picture the shot flying but crucially I also think of my ONE swing thought to help me acheive the shot.

I then take a practice swing and rehearse my swing thought. Then its address the ball, a look at my target, one waggle and release.

It is taking some time to bed in especially in a Saturday 4 ball friendly game but on the shots I do it on I feel calmer over the ball and persoanlly think they are better shots especially in terms of the ball strike. Sadly some of the shots are still directionally challenged.

I am determined to try it religiously in the next comp irrespective of how well/bad I am playing. If I find the routine is becoming to robotic I'll think about changing it

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Shanker.

Visualisation is an incredibly powerful tool, but it can be very destructive and negative. When I used to teach sailboat racing and windsurfing professionally, all to often the punters would visulise problems, and not the process or end result. It's a skill that has to be taught, and few can leap into it with a positve attitude.