Things That Gladden The Heart

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Might need to steal that recipe

As simple as it sounds. Cook the bacon until it's nearly done in the air-fryer whilst lightly toasting the bread in the toaster. Have some stilton chopped up. Spread butter or whatever on the bread and place the bacon on one slice and sprinkle the stilton on top. Pop that back in the air-fryer until the cheese is almost done and then place the other slice of bread on top for a short time to warm it up. Slice it in half, grab a nice drink, and away you go.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just offering the following as a bit of balance to commonly held views on church and marriage, as what we are doing is something that really gladdens my heart.

My church congregation is actively debating whether we should accept requests and provide for same-sex marriages in my church. As you might imagine it is a contentious subject, and so we have arranged two sessions to discuss the matter to enable us to reach a decision, and the decision is ours and ours alone. We will have one session in March and one in April, giving us time between the sessions to reflect and seek spiritual guidance on what we hear. If we do not reach a decision in April and some require more time to decide then we will meet maybe June time.

Currently the significant majority are in favour, but we’d like to have the broadest, if not full, consensus. As a congregation we are are fully committed to outreach and community, and all being welcome. Not all denominations are as stuck in the past and as close-minded as many seem to believe and would have others believe.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just as a counter to commonly held views on church and marriage…my congregation is actively debating whether we should accept requests and provide for same-sex marriages in my church. As you might imagine it is a contentious subject, and so we have arranged two sessions to discuss the matter to enable us to reach a decision, and the decision is ours and ours alone. We will have one session in March and one in April, giving us time between the sessions to reflect and seek spiritual guidance on what we hear. If we do not reach a decision in Aprail and some require more time to decide then we will meet maybe June time.

Currently the significant majority are in favour, but we’d like to have the broadest, if not full, consensus. As a congregation we are are fully committed to outreach and community, and all being welcome. Not all denominations are as stuck in the past and as close-minded as many seem to believe and would have others believe.

Au contraire, the very fact that you are having to "debate" such a subject in 2023 and over a time span as long, potentially, as two months actually proves that which ever denomination it is, is very much stuck in the past and closed minded, by the very dint that it's a debate.

Majority being in favour yet still being held to the whims of people out-of-touch with modern thinking only re-enforces what many perceive as being stuck in the past and the very antithesis of the very point your post claims to achieve.

Edited: And on reflection, I don't think there are many on here that can imagine it being a contentious subject at all. Two people wanting to commit to each other through a bond of love and respect is NOT contentious for, possibly a majority of society, let alone the denizens of a golf forum.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just offering the following as a bit of balance to commonly held views on church and marriage, as what we are doing is something that really gladdens my heart.

My church congregation is actively debating whether we should accept requests and provide for same-sex marriages in my church. As you might imagine it is a contentious subject, and so we have arranged two sessions to discuss the matter to enable us to reach a decision, and the decision is ours and ours alone. We will have one session in March and one in April, giving us time between the sessions to reflect and seek spiritual guidance on what we hear. If we do not reach a decision in April and some require more time to decide then we will meet maybe June time.

I know you think you are coming across as progressive but really you are just highlighting the narrow mindedness of your congregation.

(With dwindling church numbers can they afford to become “choosy”?)

If two people love each other and want to make a commitment for life to each other as long as there is no lawful impediment it should not be an issue.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't know your denomination, not relevant, that's your business, but The Synod are discussing this very issue this week for general C of E. Expected to vote against I believe.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know you think you are coming across as progressive but really you are just highlighting the narrow mindedness of your congregation.

If two people love each other and want to make a commitment for life to each other as long as there is no lawful impediment it should not be an issue.
We just have to discuss it. Just as most, if not all, members golf clubs would have discussion, debate and a vote over any very significant change to its constitution - no matter how beneficial and obvious to most that the change might be.

It is glib to suggest that we should just do it. As much as most of us would say OK today, there remains a small minority who have reservations…and I’d like to think that they hold reservations rather than opposition…and of those who have reservations I believe most are OK with blessings of same-sex marriages being carried out in our church. And I believe that all with reservations or who are opposed will accept the majority view, and if any don’t then they may choose to leave and join another congregation.

But if you choose to be cynical then fine.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know your denomination, not relevant, that's your business, but The Synod are discussing this very issue this week for general C of E. Expected to vote against I believe.
We are not CoE. We are a Presbyterian denomination (joint United Reformed and Methodist) and both wider churches have decided to give each individual congregations the right to make it’s own decision on the matter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

And it is no issue for the vast majority.

But I think every single member of a golf club understands how some members, mostly it has to be said more elderly members holding very traditionalist views, view matters such as changing in the car park at the trivial level, through the right or wrong of joining fees, to the rights of lady members at the most significant. We know the strong reservations and opposition that can be expressed, and we know the heated debate and discussions that can ensue when such traditionalist views are challenged or are to be changed.

Most of such changes shouldn’t have to be debated in the context of a 21st century club, but they are, and often to help members reach a decision they are subject to one or more presentations and an AGM and/or an EGM.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally finishing a chess board for a friend's young son who is autistic and loves chess. Been trying to get to this for about a month. It's a more complex process than it looks though so had to really focus once I got going on it.

I hope he likes it and gets years of enjoyment from it.

All made from off-cuts that were kicking around the workshop as my friend wanted to pay me for making it and stressed that I wasn't to but any materials for it. So I didn't :D

IMG_6091.jpgIMG_6092.jpg

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Although some people will always be vehemently opposed to it, a debate may well enlighten those that question it. It’s a tough, emotive question and I applaud you for opening it up for discussion. As you’ve said, the majority don’t have a problem with it but by discussing it you ‘include’ those that might feel marginalised by just pushing it through without consultation.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although some people will always be vehemently opposed to it, a debate may well enlighten those that question it. It’s a tough, emotive question and I applaud you for opening it up for discussion. As you’ve said, the majority don’t have a problem with it but by discussing it you ‘include’ those that might feel marginalised by just pushing it through without consultation.

Well said that man

It may seem backwards to some but people need to be included in conversations and voice their opinions.

My father is heavily religious and subject came up once. He was against it I asked him why, explained why I'm pro it and how the world has changed. He respected my opinion and in time he has come to accept it as "normal" (hate that word. What's normal)

In an ever changing world views need to be discussed not just shafted out the way

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just let churches, religious groups etc, decide what they want to decide and let them go about it the way they choose.

That way, we know exactly what they stand for.

If a particular church or religious group doesn't want you - that should really tell you to give them a wide berth.

No point arguing with them. They've made and they make their own rules for their own game.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just let churches, religious groups etc, decide what they want to decide and let them go about it the way they choose.

That way, we know exactly what they stand for.

If a particular church or religious group doesn't want you - that should really tell you to give them a wide berth.

No point arguing with them. They've made and they make their own rules for their own game.
Which may well be true - but only in an inward-looking extent. The congregation I am part of recognise that we cannot just play our own game and only look inward - for then as a congregation, and eventually as a church, we die. We know that we have to look beyond our doors, and to what can work for the community beyond, absolutely not just in the context of 'religion' but in providing something that the wider town community can value and use.

So for instance for our Christmas Carols by Candlelight event, many of the readings between carols were secular in nature...whilst still fitting within the overall story and meaning of Christmas. The church was fuller than ever with many from the community who do not normally go to church, never mind our church, coming along - because they simply enjoy it as part of the lead up to Christmas. And the feedback we got from many was very positive - with the secular readings being particularly well received. And a week later on Christmas Eve the church was again much fuller than in previous years for our Christingle service - we'd like to feel as a result of the positive experience many may have had at the earlier event.

And so we continue to look to build our presence in the town as a recognised and valued community asset.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which may well be true - but only in an inward-looking extent. The congregation I am part of recognise that we cannot just play our own game and only look inward - for then as a congregation, and eventually as a church, we die. We know that we have to look beyond our doors, and to what can work for the community beyond, absolutely not just in the context of 'religion' but in providing something that the wider town community can value and use.

So for instance for our Christmas Carols by Candlelight event, many of the readings between carols were secular in nature...whilst still fitting within the overall story and meaning of Christmas. The church was fuller than ever with many from the community who do not normally go to church, never mind our church, coming along - because they simply enjoy it as part of the lead up to Christmas. And the feedback we got from many was very positive - with the secular readings being particularly well received. And a week later on Christmas Eve the church was again much fuller than in previous years for our Christingle service - we'd like to feel as a result of the positive experience many may have had at the earlier event.

And so we continue to look to build our presence in the town as a recognised and valued community asset.
I can sort of sympathise with your churches predicament. I don't go to church, neither does my wife and when we got married, we thought it would be weird to get married in a church (even though in laws are regulars). I therefore think it is a bit strange for people who don't go to church to suddenly want to get married in a church when there are plenty of alternate venues and the end result is the same.