Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Out walking the dogs, we passed a house which had a table outside full of stuff with a sign saying “please help yourself”.

Sitting in the middle of the table was a dozen AD333s, still boxed.

I helped myself, much to my wife’s embarrassment. She reckons it was one step away from raking through skips 😀
I think the appropriate phrase your wife may have been thinking of is that you pochled them…😘

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit golf related but just was a lovely morning.

Had to drop wife's car at the garage for a service / MOT so asked my dad if he fancied 9 holes over the par 3 course at my club. For context my dad hasn't played golf in years properly, we have had 2 pitch and putts whilst on various holidays over the past 8 years .. his knees aren't great

However he was up for it. Lent him my trolly so he didn't need to worry about more pressure on the knees.

Plenty of stories shared about grandad which was nice to hear him talk about him because my mum said he has been really in his shell since he passed away a couple of weeks ago.

Took him out for lunch afterwards aswell

Hopefully the start of his return to golf as always enjoyed playing with him.. also now id wipe the floor with him which I'd really like to 🤣

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having caught tantalising glimpses last week I'm now 100% positive that we have a Barn Owl frequenting the golf course...
Haven't seen one for years but this morning he flew within 10 yards of me
Spectacular
Driving to work this morning along the two miles of beach road to Portland I saw a couple of kestrels in the hover looking for their breakfast. Not as exotic as a barn owl but still nice to see. Here’s one from a few years ago when my wife and I had a day out at the local bird of prey centre. IMG_1737.jpeg

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Bit golf related but just was a lovely morning.

Had to drop wife's car at the garage for a service / MOT so asked my dad if he fancied 9 holes over the par 3 course at my club. For context my dad hasn't played golf in years properly, we have had 2 pitch and putts whilst on various holidays over the past 8 years .. his knees aren't great

However he was up for it. Lent him my trolly so he didn't need to worry about more pressure on the knees.

Plenty of stories shared about grandad which was nice to hear him talk about him because my mum said he has been really in his shell since he passed away a couple of weeks ago.

Took him out for lunch afterwards aswell

Hopefully the start of his return to golf as always enjoyed playing with him.. also now id wipe the floor with him which I'd really like to 🤣
And when i read stories of folk packing in golf coz they are not as good as they were 20 years ago. Stories like this emphasise that golf is not all about playing well. On a day like this, the mental, physical and emotional positives far outweigh back to back birdies.
Brilliant story PJ me man.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And when i read stories of folk packing in golf coz they are not as good as they were 20 years ago. Stories like this emphasise that golf is not all about playing well. On a day like this, the mental, physical and emotional positives far outweigh back to back birdies.
Brilliant story PJ me man.

It was great to see him play again. Don't get me wrong at first he wasn't hitting far but by the end he was getting some little distance which is fine for the little course (considering he didn't full swing anything aswell)

And he had 2 putters in his bag (as he bought a new putter years ago and just had grabbed his bag) once he switched back to his old trusty he was back to "one putt kev" as I always blooming called him!

I remember him not getting a ball more than 2 yards off the ground.. green in 4 then just one blooming putting from anywhere!

I'm sure he will start playing a few times again. I'm hoping by next summer we can hit a full length course again

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was talking to the Mrs last evening.. I hardly go to the shops, so Son had gone with her to Sainsbury's. At the end of the convo, Mrs said she always buy an extra can of dried food which she ask our son to donate the extra cans to charity. apparently she has been doing this since Covid - and I did not know about it!!

Today I went to Morrison since they were doing 4 for 3 on beers. Our local Morrisons is supporting local food banks/charities. They create small packages that you can pick up at the entrance, pay for them at the counter and then place them in the community section. These are not very expensive - £2-4 quid per package for some dried food or toiletries. It is picked by staff and has small messages like 'Smile' or 'be positive' etc. So i bought a couple of these and put them in the community section. Best use of beer money i have done in ages.

I hope it makes a small difference to someone - it can be bleak out there.

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Was talking to the Mrs last evening.. I hardly go to the shops, so Son had gone with her to Sainsbury's. At the end of the convo, Mrs said she always buy an extra can of dried food which she then tells the son to donate the extra cans to charity. apparently she has been doing this since Covid - and I did not know about it.

Today I went to Morrison since they were doing 4 for 3 on beers. Our local Morrisons is supporting local food banks/charities. They create small packages that you can pick up at the entrance, pay for them at the counter and then place them in the community section. These are not very expensive - £2-4 quid per package for some dried food or toiletries. It is picked by staff and has small messages like 'Smile' or 'be positive' etc. So i bought a couple of these and put them in the community section. Best use of beer money i have done in ages.

I hope it makes a small difference to someone - it can be bleak out there.
Good job, Mud.
Our local union used to regularly donate food to local charities like that back in my working days.
Our membership had good jobs and cared for those who didn't.