Things That Gladden The Heart

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great day today on our Holiday, we watched the Tour de France go by!

It started about 45 minutes before the riders came along the “Caravan” went past, a high speed carnival of floats representing loads of different companies dishing out “merch” we had t-shirts, hats, tea towels, shopping bags, key rings, bags of dried saucisson, haribos and all sorts of other tat thrown at us at high speed! Great fun!

Then later, along came the leaders and not long after them the peloton. The whole lot went past in just a few seconds!

Then a really long procession of support vehicles.

The whole thing was great, and it was easily the most life we had seen in the village in nearly two weeks! 😆3631990d-8b5c-456e-a48a-5b53d426af73.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having put it off for months - a couple of days ago I just decided to do it, and picked at random a memorial stonemason in Perth to enquire about whether they’d do an inscription on a headstone in a churchyard 25miles away. And what do you know…had he not just been in that same churchyard that very morning with a client.

And knowing the churchyard as he did he has been able to help me start on sorting a memorial of some sort for my dear wee sister who died last November and for whom I am organising something later this year.

It has been very difficult…but sometimes I know when I must do the difficult thing, and as for choosing that particular stonemason….total coincidence most might well say…but I will take comfort of a different sort.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Having put it off for months - a couple of days ago I just decided to do it, and picked at random a memorial stonemason in Perth to enquire about whether they’d do an inscription on a headstone in a churchyard 25miles away. And what do you know…had he not just been in that same churchyard that very morning with a client.

And knowing the churchyard as he did he has been able to help me start on sorting a memorial of some sort for my dear wee sister who died last November and for whom I am organising something later this year.

It has been very difficult…but sometimes I know when I must do the difficult thing, and as for choosing that particular stonemason….total coincidence most might well say…but I will take comfort of a different sort.

Oh hell Hugh, tough times for you and yours. My deepest sympathies. I do hope he can create something fitting, and that ”something” for later this year goes well.

Serendipity sometimes moves in mysterious ways.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh hell Hugh, tough times for you and yours. My deepest sympathies. I do hope he can create something fitting, and that ”something” for later this year goes well.

Serendipity sometimes moves in mysterious ways.
Thankyou B. My grandparents are buried in the churchyard. The stonemason made a lovely suggestion about seeing if there was room on their headstone for an inscription as an alternative to a separate stone wedge. I’ve sent him a photo and there looks to be room.

His suggestion is to have my sister identified as the daughter of our parents, with her forename linked to our parents with the family surname, their names inscribed also and with our mum (with her maiden name) linked to our grandparents. My sister’s husband cares not a jot about there being any lasting memorial for her (there was no funeral or rememberence), never mind one that involves our family - so we will not use her married surname and this will have nothing to do with him.

It’s very sad and I have found difficult the forgiveness of her husband for the way he treated her in life and us in her illness and death - but forgive I have had to do. And what happened a couple of days back connecting me to the stonemason I see as help I have been given in return for that forgiveness.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Despite our little crazy pup not yet being 11 months old, we've taken on a 2 yr old rescue today 😲.
Long day with motorists doing their best to create hold ups in torrential rain, but watching a dog who hasn't been outside of a cage, sleeping on a settee after an outside walk 👌
No doubt some ups n downs to come, but this evening qualified.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite our little crazy pup not yet being 11 months old, we've taken on a 2 yr old rescue today 😲.
Long day with motorists doing their best to create hold ups in torrential rain, but watching a dog who hasn't been outside of a cage, sleeping on a settee after an outside walk 👌
No doubt some ups n downs to come, but this evening qualified.

Well done you. The rewards of a rescue are immense.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You can live stream it on YouTube
Hope the weather don’t ruin the day. Spent last Sunday at Woodhall spa for the forties weekend.Weather was fantastic but it had a proper downpour at 5 ish. The place just emptied.
That aside I found it very surprising to see a drone at quite some height when the Lancaster flew over.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Under no illusion, many many other dogs there that will likely be a far trickier to work with. Heartbreaking to see, was at a large centre in South Wales. Don't visit if weak willed! But hopefully she'll be a good fit.

Having taken one with behavioural issues and quite a challenge it makes me wonder how much we'd be prepared to take on whenever the time is right. He is such a loyal boy and tiny moments fill your heart. Wish we'd had him from a pup.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Hope the weather don’t ruin the day. Spent last Sunday at Woodhall spa for the forties weekend.Weather was fantastic but it had a proper downpour at 5 ish. The place just emptied.
That aside I found it very surprising to see a drone at quite some height when the Lancaster flew over.

Weather is ok so far.

Seen the red arrows fly

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Weather looking good for the B52 to fly today.

Hopefully the rumours of a stealth (not a Taylormade) coming in are true

The Americans have a fleet of B1 bombers stationed here along with a U2 spy plane as they’re making the base operational again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Weather looking good for the B52 to fly today.

Hopefully the rumours of a stealth (not a Taylormade) coming in are true

The Americans have a fleet of B1 bombers stationed here along with a U2 spy plane as they’re making the base operational again.
Good job Fragger don’t have access to a B1 bomber 😉👍