Things That Gladden The Heart

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds the dream job (y)
Back in the last century, I lived fairly close to the Paynes factory in Croydon where the Paynes Poppets were made. I knew some of the ladies who worked there and apparently new employees were encouraged by management to "sample" as much of the product as they liked. Needless to say, after about a week, no-one took anything.

Factory closed in 2001 I believe and moved to Leicester.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There isn’t a default calculator app on my iPad, but just right now discovered that there is a hidden calculator for simple calcs using the four basic operators. Easy-Peesie. Just type your calculation into the Spotlight search box. I never knew...I do now 👍

RichA

Visit site
There isn’t a default calculator app on my iPad, but just right now discovered that there is a hidden calculator for simple calcs using the four basic operators. Easy-Peesie. Just type your calculation into the Spotlight search box. I never knew...I do now 👍
Or download a calculator app.
Or just Hey Siri to do the calculation for you.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back in the last century, I lived fairly close to the Paynes factory in Croydon where the Paynes Poppets were made. I knew some of the ladies who worked there and apparently new employees were encouraged by management to "sample" as much of the product as they liked. Needless to say, after about a week, no-one took anything.

Factory closed in 2001 I believe and moved to Leicester.

I often wonder how long it would take to get sick of the taste...wouldn't mind trying!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often wonder how long it would take to get sick of the taste...wouldn't mind trying!
I worked as a waiter in a restaurant for a spell when I was 18. The manager made that comment about the industrial sized box of After Eights which we took from to give to customers with their coffee, 'have as many as you like' he chuckled, 'you will soon get sick of them'. Boy did he get that wrong :ROFLMAO: 😋

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I worked as a waiter in a restaurant for a spell when I was 18. The manager made that comment about the industrial sized box of After Eights which we took from to give to customers with their coffee, 'have as many as you like' he chuckled, 'you will soon get sick of them'. Boy did he get that wrong :ROFLMAO: 😋

After Eights are God’s gift to humanity, or Hobbits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or download a calculator app.
Or just Hey Siri to do the calculation for you.
Of course I could use Siri (though on my iPad I currently don‘t), or download an app (I did but after doing so I found it was a subscription one), so looked to see if there was another way before downloading another. I couldn’t believe Apple don’t install a calc app as a default iPad app…they don’t…but Spotlight search was my friend.👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have seemingly now found a barber that A. doesn't charge an over-the-top amount for a simple haircut, and B. the barber I had today didn't even speak English so I didn't have to have small talk with him. Win win! Shame I still have to pay cash though... When will barbers and kebabs shops join the rest of society? :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have seemingly now found a barber that A. doesn't charge an over-the-top amount for a simple haircut, and B. the barber I had today didn't even speak English so I didn't have to have small talk with him. Win win! Shame I still have to pay cash though... When will barbers and kebabs shops join the rest of society? :LOL:

When they don't have to declare all their income 🤣

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

It ha been a struggle but I am still with a barber that charges under tenner, though it has gone up from £8 last year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It ha been a struggle but I am still with a barber that charges under tenner, though it has gone up from £8 last year.
This one is £14, with online booking, which is also handy when you just want to pop in and out and not wait around. There are others near me charging as much as £25 for a simple short back and sides.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Been cutting my own hair (what's left of it) with electric clippers since 1997. Haven't been in a kebab shop since the 1980s.
Gladdening my heart to think of all the money I've saved.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That the hospital my 93yr old MiL is in after her falls and breaks has worked so quickly and well with Social Services, and they with my wife, to yesterday agree funding for a 4 week convalescence in a care home my wife identified only 3 miles from my MiLs home. Much further from her home would have been a real upset and problem as her friends would struggle to visit her. And as the care home can take her immediately I believe that she’s on the move from hospital to the home today. We have expressed heartfelt thanks to all in the NHS and Social Services involved as it’s been a real worry for us.

Last edited: