Things That Gladden The Heart

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turned out wasn't chicken pox so everyone went away as planned

My second to last night, but most swap off tonight so got curry goat on the stove for them 🤤

Just need to do some rice and peas in a bit

Always great when kids go away in terms of time it takes to do stuff , kitchen repainted , part living room repainted , kids room and our room touched up in patched. Toothpaste marks covered up in hall way lol

Even managed to squeeze 9 holes in straight after work Tuesday

Finished everything a day early so I'm gonna get up early, go see my new niece and then got my dad coming round to watch the football before the last night shift for 6 more weeks

Beautiful 😍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old man, he’s 76 and has been humming and hawing about a new car.
He’s decided that this will be his last new car, even though he’s still very much a capable driver (lifetime as a professional driver) but has made his mind up.

He’s had four 1.6TSi Golfs in a row and went out on Saturday to sort his new, last car out.
Spoke to him earlier to see how he got on, fully expecting another 1.6TSi Golf…

Nope, only gone for a Golf R for his last hurrah. Had me in stitches as he described the test drive. But he loved it, his first ever hot hatch at 76 😂

AJNairn

Visit site
My old man, he’s 76 and has been humming and hawing about a new car.
He’s decided that this will be his last new car, even though he’s still very much a capable driver (lifetime as a professional driver) but has made his mind up.

He’s had four 1.6TSi Golfs in a row and went out on Saturday to sort his new, last car out.
Spoke to him earlier to see how he got on, fully expecting another 1.6TSi Golf…

Nope, only gone for a Golf R for his last hurrah. Had me in stitches as he described the test drive. But he loved it, his first ever hot hatch at 76 😂
Just imagine him out on the pull in Dunfermline! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:(y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When my MiL was burgled a couple of years ago we thought she’d lost her husband‘s coin collection. Up at hers this last weekend I came across the collection, it hasn’t gone. And blimey. I’ve never seen so much old money.

I had myself gathered together maybe a couple of dozen of various denominations over the years around decimalisation, but my wife’s dad had collected by year starting Victorian, all kept two a pocket in pages of maybe 16 Pockets. All denominations farthings, ha’pennies, pennies, threepences (silver and nickel-brass), sixpences, shillings and florins. I didn’t check fully so there might have been some half crowns and maybe crowns in there, but they were a lot of money…so expensive to collect.

My wife wants to keep them, but what to do with them, any ideas for mounting. Maybe I could put together collections for years of birth of MiL, FiL, wife and self?

Don’t imagine they are worth much. But they are really interesting.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When my MiL as burgled a couple of years ago we thought she’d lost her husband‘s coin collection. Up at hers this last weekend I came across the collection, it hasn’t gone. And blimey. I’ve never seen so much old money.

I had myself gathered together maybe a couple of dozen of various denominations over the years around decimalisation, but my wife’s dad had collected by year starting Victorian, all kept two a pocket in pages of maybe 16 Pockets. All denominations farthings, ha’pennies, pennies, threepences (silver and nickel-brass), sixpences, shillings and florins. I didn’t check fully so there might have been some half crowns and maybe crowns in there, but they were a lot of money…so expensive to collect.

My wife wants to keep them, but what to do with them, any ideas for mounting. Maybe I could put together collections for years of birth of MiL, FiL, wife and self?

Don’t imagine they are worth much. But they are really interesting.

My dad had a similar collection, up to half crowns. There was the odd gap, e.g. 1933 penny - only 11 were minted.

Value? Just pick a coin and Google it. For example, a 1922 two shilling piece is currently worth around £6 to £40. A 1900 sixpence is £3 to £60, depending on quality. And an 1880 penny, again, starts with a low value but a mint one is over £200. With quite a lot of them it’s just bullion value, which with the older ones is silver..

We, as you suggested, picked out a year corresponding to our birth and had a set mounted. The rest we sold. We netted around £900 each, 3 of us.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 young kids playing on their bikes on our estate tonight, about 10 or so. Had to pop into town, saw one in a big puddle/lake, his mate encouraging me to drive through and splash him. I swerved towards the water and then pulled away last minute. The kids laughed, I gave a smile and a shrug.

Coming back, same set up, waving to splash again. I swerved towards the puddle but this time went through it. I made sure I didn't get too close but he got a decent spray. I got massive grins from both and a thumbs up.

The absolute joy and care free playing was great to see.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a day I had today!
As a gardener, working eight hours in the cold and rain is normally as miserable as hell.
Today I was a a friend's place very close to Amberley Castle, nothing remarkable about that, but in the space of a few hours I saw a Red Kite glide past me about 15 feet away and 10 feet in the air ............................ so close I could almost smell his breath. He/she even had a sideways glance at me as it went by.
I also saw a pair of White Tailed Sea Eagles and, my word, they are big, graceful and beautiful. I didn't even know they were inhabitants of ours!
But, the highlight of this extraordinary day was hearing a weird noise from an adjacent field. I had a quick squint through a hedge and actually saw a lamb being born, stagger about after just a few seconds, then joyfully bound up to his mother for a feed.
What a banger of a day, the best I've had for a very long time ....................... and all whilst cold and wet!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What a day I had today!
As a gardener, working eight hours in the cold and rain is normally as miserable as hell.
Today I was a a friend's place very close to Amberley Castle, nothing remarkable about that, but in the space of a few hours I saw a Red Kite glide past me about 15 feet away and 10 feet in the air ............................ so close I could almost smell his breath. He/she even had a sideways glance at me as it went by.
I also saw a pair of White Tailed Sea Eagles and, my word, they are big, graceful and beautiful. I didn't even know they were inhabitants of ours!
But, the highlight of this extraordinary day was hearing a weird noise from an adjacent field. I had a quick squint through a hedge and actually saw a lamb being born, stagger about after just a few seconds, then joyfully bound up to his mother for a feed.
What a banger of a day, the best I've had for a very long time ....................... and all whilst cold and wet!

Made me smile. What a perfect day.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rupert.. he's a big duck fan, loves to chase, swim and stalk them. He gets very excited when he sees one.

So the wife got him a couple of duck breasts yesterday.. he turned his nose up and spat the bit out fed to him after he's rejected the raw meat and had it cooked🤣🤣

The knob😂
He knows you just don't give two ducks :p

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What a day I had today!
Sea eagles are very rare to see anywhere in the UK other than west coast of Scotland. UK's largest bird of prey. I've never seen any. You have been extremely privileged.
I've been to Rutland Water a few times, but not yet seen the osprey.
Saw a red kite land on the ground about 10 yards from the 3rd tee last year. Took my breath away to see one that close.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sea eagles are very rare to see anywhere in the UK other than west coast of Scotland. UK's largest bird of prey. I've never seen any. You have been extremely privileged.
I've been to Rutland Water a few times, but not yet seen the osprey.
Saw a red kite land on the ground about 10 yards from the 3rd tee last year. Took my breath away to see one that close.

I learned that there is a pair that have been regularly seen around Arundel Wetland Centre since October.
Yes, I feel extremely privileged ......................... and they are HUGE.