Things That Gladden The Heart

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My sat nav today telling me to take the turning to Lieutenant Brickhill. For those who know the roads round Woburn its Little Brickhill, but on the satnav its Lt. Brickhill, so she pronounces it Lieutenant. Made me smile :) Wonder if theres a promotion Ill get sent to Corporal Brickhill
While we are being pedantic, may I enquire how the satnav voice pronounces lieutenant.
Is the first syllable "loo" USA or "lef" GB?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Busy few days in the workshop, still getting everything set-up, now that the main bench and back wall cabinetry are in place and the cleat system is all but finished, I turned my attention to dust and air.

In the old garage shop, two major issues were hoover and air line hoses lying around the floor causing trip hazards and just being a general pain.

Now the dust extraction runs from a single corner (big vac is in a cabinet and connected to a remote controlled socket, so I can turn on/off from anywhere in the shop) and the 40mm ducting (well, it's 40mm waste pipe in reality) runs up and along the back wall with blast gates directing the flow and a branch out and over the main bench with a drop hose. No vac hoses or power cables tripping me up.

On the air side, I ran some copper pipe up the front wall and along out to over the bench with a drop coiled hose that I can connect/disconnect when I need. Shut off valve where the compressor connects for safety and jobs a good un.

It's just a small improvement but it looks much cleaner, tidier and its a mile safer than it was with hoses and cables dragging the floor, so it has certainly gladdened my heart.

Next up, custom router table insert (when the bloody thing arrives!)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Busy few days in the workshop, still getting everything set-up, now that the main bench and back wall cabinetry are in place and the cleat system is all but finished, I turned my attention to dust and air.

In the old garage shop, two major issues were hoover and air line hoses lying around the floor causing trip hazards and just being a general pain.

Now the dust extraction runs from a single corner (big vac is in a cabinet and connected to a remote controlled socket, so I can turn on/off from anywhere in the shop) and the 40mm ducting (well, it's 40mm waste pipe in reality) runs up and along the back wall with blast gates directing the flow and a branch out and over the main bench with a drop hose. No vac hoses or power cables tripping me up.

On the air side, I ran some copper pipe up the front wall and along out to over the bench with a drop coiled hose that I can connect/disconnect when I need. Shut off valve where the compressor connects for safety and jobs a good un.

It's just a small improvement but it looks much cleaner, tidier and its a mile safer than it was with hoses and cables dragging the floor, so it has certainly gladdened my heart.

Next up, custom router table insert (when the bloody thing arrives!)
Sounds good, but, we need pics again! ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds good, but, we need pics again! ?

Still not done (couple of cabinets still need doors and I have to get rid of 3 full 22mm MDF boards sat against the back bench) but you get the idea. There is still a branch of the extraction to come down the back wall on the far left to the router table but need another blast gate for that.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got a date for start of our new lounge/kitchen extension….now…anyone fancy a conservatory or a kitchen? Got one of each going buckshee. Conservatory has to be gone by 14th Nov - can go now; kitchen will be going in February.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just read in today's newspaper that King Charles is going to be on an episode of The Repair Shop. He's taking a damaged piece of Victorian pottery and an 18th century clock. Can't wait.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still not done (couple of cabinets still need doors and I have to get rid of 3 full 22mm MDF boards sat against the back bench) but you get the idea. There is still a branch of the extraction to come down the back wall on the far left to the router table but need another blast gate for that.
View attachment 44798
View attachment 44799
View attachment 44800
Looking good so far. Obviously you know in your head how it will look when all complete so it'll be good to see when all finished. ?
Not envious at all ???

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still missing a kettle though! Should have been one of the first things in!

Ah, out of sight out of mind my good fellow. It’s stored away in the cabinet under the right hand back bench.

One of my goals of having multiple cabinets in this shop is to minimise things on the benches and try and keep it tidy and hazard free.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking good so far. Obviously you know in your head how it will look when all complete so it'll be good to see when all finished. ?
Not envious at all ???

Yeah, I had to rethink the big vac in a cabinet approach due to heat build up. So working on a vented cabinet design now.

But the general feeling of space that having the cabinets gives is night and day to the old shop and no hoses and airlines crisscrossing the floor is great.

Still got the right hand cleats to finish and lots of little storage boxes to build for storing the commonly used tools.

It’s definitely coming together, it’s just slow going at the minute as it’s all fiddly work (took 3 hours to do the extraction pipe work as it went squinty a few times and solvent weld is a bitch!).

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tradespeople being tradespeople, I decided to plaster my new (lol, I did the shell about a year ago!) office. Just painted it and it's not too bad!! I have paid plasterers who have done a worse job!! I have done it before, i really don't enjoy doing it, but i do enjoy saving 400 quid.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
L
Yeah, I had to rethink the big vac in a cabinet approach due to heat build up. So working on a vented cabinet design now.

But the general feeling of space that having the cabinets gives is night and day to the old shop and no hoses and airlines crisscrossing the floor is great.

Still got the right hand cleats to finish and lots of little storage boxes to build for storing the commonly used tools.

It’s definitely coming together, it’s just slow going at the minute as it’s all fiddly work (took 3 hours to do the extraction pipe work as it went squinty a few times and solvent weld is a bitch!).

What have you done about power Greig? Apart from what looks like a single socket by the ceiling I cannot see much. (Think a nice bit of dado trunking would be ideal ?)