Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s my sisters 60th next month. Back in 1997 my dad did a couple of long interviews with his home Hebridean island’s historical group - talking about life on the island; families, and Gaelic culture back in the 20s and 30s - speaking in both his native Gaelic and English. He’s 20yrs gone now but I thought it might be quite nice to see if I could get hold of the interviews for my sister. And after making an enquiry, I yesterday got links to download files created from the taped recordings.

It was lovely and rather strange hearing my dad‘s voice again..Lovely because we of course miss him, but also because Gaelic is such a beautiful spoken language. Strange because I don’t think I realised - I’ve certainly forgotten - how strong his Hebridean accent was…and it rather explains my accent.

Though Glaswegian, my accent isn’t ‘typical’ Glaswegian (though some might say a type of posh Glaswegian) as clearly I picked up inflections and tendencies of his…and they live with me and in me every day and for which I give great thanks.

My sister will love hearing her Dad‘s voice again…and I just realised he’d have been 100 next year.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not so much ‘gladden…’ as ‘give great relief to…’…because the difficulty and disappointment we would have felt is very, very real for many others…now and in the coming months…and perhaps year or two.

The financing we have in place for our planned extension would today cost us £400/month more than what we put in place a couple of months ago. That would have been unaffordable…and would have sunk our hopes and the dreams my wife has held on to for at least ten years about doing work on our house.

We went for it ‘just in time’. Many are or will be nowhere near as fortunate as us and many will be in real and significant difficulty as their fixed rate mortgage deal comes to an end.

But I don’t feel clever. We are just very lucky.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not so much ‘gladden…’ as ‘give great relief to…’…because the difficulty and disappointment we would have felt is very, very real for many others…now and in the coming months…and perhaps year or two.

The financing we have in place for our planned extension would today cost us £400/month more than what we put in place a couple of months ago. That would have been unaffordable…and would have sunk our hopes and the dreams my wife has held on to for at least ten years about doing work on our house.

We went for it ‘just in time’. Many are or will be nowhere near as fortunate as us and many will be in real and significant difficulty as their fixed rate mortgage deal comes to an end.

But I don’t feel clever. We are just very lucky.

If sounds like one of those occasions where I say “ sometimes things happen for a reason”. ???

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday I played in a charity event at our place. Got to the 3rd tee and realised that my Bushnell had fallen out of its case. I hadn’t used it on the first two holes but it was definitely there when I took my bag from my locker. Retraced my steps back down holes 1 and 2 but it was nowhere to be seen. Finished my round and asked the pro if anyone had handed it in. A new lady member had found it and handed it in to the pro shop saying “I don’t know what this is but I just found it”. I thought that I would never see it again and someone had a nice new £300 Bushnell. No idea where I lost it. Probably by the chipping green.

Told the pro that next time the lady comes in the shop to let her have a dozen balls and to stick them on my account.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My sat nav today telling me to take the turning to Lieutenant Brickhill. For those who know the roads round Woburn its Little Brickhill, but on the satnav its Lt. Brickhill, so she pronounces it Lieutenant. Made me smile :) Wonder if theres a promotion Ill get sent to Corporal Brickhill

Oh Fundy old fruit, your knowledge of the British Army Ranking system is sadly lacking

The promotion from Lt. is to Captain, then Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel etc with 2nd Lt. being classed as pond life

Corporal is a non commissioned rank
So Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Warrant Officer Class 1 then WO class 2. Etc

Captain Brickhill has a superhero ring to it don’t you think? ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Oh Fundy old fruit, your knowledge of the British Army Ranking system is sadly lacking

The promotion from Lt. is to Captain, then Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel etc with 2nd Lt. being classed as pond life

Corporal is a non commissioned rank
So Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Warrant Officer Class 1 then WO class 2. Etc

Captain Brickhill has a superhero ring to it don’t you think? ??
Not convinced Steve cares that much...:LOL: