Things That Gladden The Heart

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Must be a Northern thing then, never heard of a 'fish man' in pubs round here!

No it wasn’t just a northern thing every weekend there was a man selling seafood in pubs around. SE London, don’t suppose you remember the toffe apple man coming round on his bike either ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After 6 years I won my first Bowls trophy tonight.
I lost one semifinal and another final last week.
Not bad for an auld yin who had previously never progressed past the 2nd round.:)

Re fish man.
Really weird experience for me when I moved to Kent/Surrey from the cultured Lothians.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
No it wasn’t just a northern thing every weekend there was a man selling seafood in pubs around. SE London, don’t suppose you remember the toffe apple man coming round on his bike either ?

I remember both, but not seen the fish man for 30+years. (E London) bit odd really looking back, supping away Sunday lunch time then chomping away on a tray of cockles or whelks! Quick lick of the fingers then back on the beer. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Friday and Saturday in my local (maybe also rest of week) we had the cockles and fish sticks guy, plus the Sally Army…the SA played a neat trick…a bloke went round pubs with two pretty lassies…he stood by the door as the two lassies took their winning smiles and donation boxes around the pub.?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a small reflection of the collapse of the country‘s spiritual and moral fibre ?
Go on then, I'll bite... How does the absence of the Sally Army (in pubs on Fridays) reflect the collapse of the country's spiritual & moral fibre? Presumably it could only reflect the collapse of commitment within the Sally Army?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember both, but not seen the fish man for 30+years. (E London) bit odd really looking back, supping away Sunday lunch time then chomping away on a tray of cockles or whelks! Quick lick of the fingers then back on the beer. ?
The thought of eating cockles and whelks makes me feel ill. ??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly it would be rare these days to find a pub that would let someone in to sell snacks on their premises as it may detract from them selling their high priced offerings.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Go on then, I'll bite... How does the absence of the Sally Army (in pubs on Fridays) reflect the collapse of the country's spiritual & moral fibre? Presumably it could only reflect the collapse of commitment within the Sally Army?
Simply that it seems to be the case that, compared with 40yrs ago when the girls were smiling as they shook their boxes to us, there is felt to be less need for any formal spiritual support, and just IMO that could be linked to changes in behaviours that are not all to the positive..(though plse, plse note my winking smiley - I’m not 100% serious).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Simply that it seems to be the case that, compared with 40yrs ago when the girls were smiling as they shook their boxes to us, there is felt to be less need for any formal spiritual support, and just IMO that could be linked to changes in behaviours that are not all to the positive..(though plse note my winking smiley - I’m not 100% serious).

A religious organisation using young attractive girls to extract money from drunk men in pubs on a Friday night is definitely the moral fibre modern society is lacking ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A religious organisation using young attractive girls to extract money from drunk men in pubs on a Friday night is definitely the moral fibre modern society is lacking ?
They were in early. And it was fun and there was a lot of friendly banter as they were the same lassies every week.