Things That Gladden The Heart

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If she doesn't like Cedar, she's a wrong-un :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osmo-Protection-Oil-Clear-Finish/dp/B00J2XF182/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1FJ2G14WBFD18&keywords=osmo+uv+protection+oil+420+clear+satin+250ml&qid=1662998954&sprefix=osmo+uv+protection+oil+420+clear+satin+250ml,aps,62&sr=8-8

That's all you need to seal it and lock in the colour. 125ml will be more than enough and Osmo is bloody expensive, but it goes a long way.

Confirmed not a wrong un, shes now looking at larch before we buy the cedar :D

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Confirmed not a wrong un, shes now looking at larch before we buy the cedar :D

Just remember Larch is a softwood (albeit on the firmer side of soft) so has more knots (as there are more smaller lower branches).

If you were closer I have 80 Siberian Larch off cuts ranging from 600mm to 900mm that you could have had.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just remember Larch is a softwood (albeit on the firmer side of soft) so has more knots (as there are more smaller lower branches).

If you were closer I have 80 Siberian Larch off cuts ranging from 600mm to 900mm that you could have had.

Greg, is larch a soft wood which has good natural oils within it. Am sure that when I did our outside kitchen cooking area I used larch T and G for the doors. Same was coated with Barratines sealer.
Re sleepers I found a company that when it comes to oak sleeper, they are as cheap as Pine. fantastic if you live local.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ywood.co.uk/&usg=AOvVaw0UmrboAD8_x-Q0aa-52Oe3
The uprights and cross members are Oak.
the top garden raised flower bed has the seat built into it

Attachments

• BAD4ED85-BAB8-40CB-B7FF-A474D859DAD1.jpeg
    BAD4ED85-BAB8-40CB-B7FF-A474D859DAD1.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 20

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg, is larch a soft wood which has good natural oils within it. Am sure that when I did our outside kitchen cooking area I used larch T and G for the doors. Same was coated with Barratines sealer.
Re sleepers I found a company that when it comes to oak sleeper, they are as cheap as Pine. fantastic if you live local.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwix-qWx74_6AhXZMMAKHXtNDDkQFnoECAQQAQ&url=https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/&usg=AOvVaw0UmrboAD8_x-Q0aa-52Oe3
The uprights and cross members are Oak.
the top garden raised flower bed has the seat built into it

Larch is a soft wood as I stated but it’s on the former side as opposed to pine/redwood.

Larch leeches the oils over time which causes it to change colour, my workshop is clad in Siberian Larch.

UK larch is softer and has more knots which look unsightly and can affect stability.

Oak over pine for sleepers is madness and a total waste IMO.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Larch is a soft wood as I stated but it’s on the former side as opposed to pine/redwood.

Larch leeches the oils over time which causes it to change colour, my workshop is clad in Siberian Larch.

UK larch is softer and has more knots which look unsightly and can affect stability.

Oak over pine for sleepers is madness and a total waste IMO.

genuinely interested, why would that be?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
genuinely interested, why would that be?

Oak is a very decorative structural wood that is currently about 3-4 times more expensive than redwood.

Soft wood can be pressure treated to provide longevity for ground contact conditions. Oak needs to be treated using an oil or similar but still not great in ground contact conditions.

For comparison, from the local merchant. Oak in 20mm x 120mm is £23.36 per meter. Treated redwood 19mm x 120mm is £6.59 per meter.
Untreated PAR redwood (finishing timber) same dimensions £5.46 per meter.

Using Oak for ground contact is madness IMO

Tashyboy

Visit site
Oak is a very decorative structural wood that is currently about 3-4 times more expensive than redwood.

Soft wood can be pressure treated to provide longevity for ground contact conditions. Oak needs to be treated using an oil or similar but still not great in ground contact conditions.

For comparison, from the local merchant. Oak in 20mm x 120mm is £23.36 per meter. Treated redwood 19mm x 120mm is £6.59 per meter.
Untreated PAR redwood (finishing timber) same dimensions £5.46 per meter.

Using Oak for ground contact is madness IMO

Cheers me man? every days a school day.When I did the raised flower bed it was always by intentions of using Sftwood treated sleepers. Re the kitchen area, because they were in the ground my thought process I’d they are hardwood they would of lasted longer.for the sake of £5 extra for the oak it seemed logical.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers me man? every days a school day.When I did the raised flower bed it was always by intentions of using Sftwood treated sleepers. Re the kitchen area, because they were in the ground my thought process I’d they are hardwood they would of lasted longer.for the sake of £5 extra for the oak it seemed logical.

Oak has the added challenge that it's full of tanins that leech out causing the oak to go black. You also need to use stainless steel fixings otherwise they will also blacken.

The sleepers in that add are "green" so they have not been dried, almost fresh sawn hence only approx. £10 more than redwood. I have worked once with green oak, never again. It's a nightmare. As it dries it twists and splits like mad and you need to keep on it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Oak has the added challenge that it's full of tanins that leech out causing the oak to go black. You also need to use stainless steel fixings otherwise they will also blacken.

The sleepers in that add are "green" so they have not been dried, almost fresh sawn hence only approx. £10 more than redwood. I have worked once with green oak, never again. It's a nightmare. As it dries it twists and splits like mad and you need to keep on it.
The first winter parts of the oak did go black. We put that down to them being covered to protecting then through the winter. Last year we left them uncovered and they seemed better.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first winter parts of the oak did go black. We put that down to them being covered to protecting then through the winter. Last year we left them uncovered and they seemed better.

The blackening is normal and once it's happened it tails off, hence it being better this time. It's unsightly and can stain though.

I love working with oak, the smell of cut oak is amazing. Just too expensive at the moment.