Thick Ball Markers

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got a Golf Monthly poker chip marker somewhere. It came as a freebe with a magazing a few years back.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the plastic poker chip markers, but there's nothing wrong with them at all. If that's what you want to use, it has no bearing on my state of mind or play, it's just a marker. I personally prefer, use and collect the large metal ball markers, usually with a removable smaller one in the middle. They're smart looking, easy to see from a distance, and easy to use the smaller one if I'm directly in someone's line.

If there's a marker (especially large one) remotely in my way, I'll ask for it to be moved. I may leave it in place if it's a smaller one I'm using for a line, but then I run the risk of hitting it and pushing myself away from the hole, c'est la vie.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a very nice Cinque Ports pitch mark repairer - with a magnetic insert for a ball marker. Only trouble is, the magnet is too strong to get remove the baller easily, so I don't. But the magnet is good enough to stick another ball marker on the back. As to what others use, I don't really care. Big or small, if it's on, or even near to, my line then you're moving it please.

Fabia999

Visit site
Cheers for the replies, I'm not complaining about it. I was just interested in seeing what you guys thought.

I should've asked him to move it but it wasn't the end of the world. SI 1, tricky green and it was a long putt. The guy even mentioned I should've just asked him. Not sure which way I would've wanted it moving, I would have ended up hitting it.

However, I do think a ball marker should be flat.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As others have said, if it is a poker chip, or similar, and you think it may be in the way, get them to move it, again and again if necessary. Their choice to put a bin lid down to mark a ball :LOL:

But you can't miss it; unlike some of the minuscule markers others use, who then complain if you walk on their line because you didn't see it. As others have said, I've got a two piece poker chip size one; use the big bit if I'm not in anyone's way, the small bit if I'm near someone's line.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have loads of poker chip makers , some and standard size some a bit bigger , most have a small one in the middle

Will always ask if it’s ok where it is and will move if required

There was a previous thread on this and it ended up being amusing with some lovely insults throughout- someone was called a bigot for using one ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you can't miss it; unlike some of the minuscule markers others use, who then complain if you walk on their line because you didn't see it. As others have said, I've got a two piece poker chip size one; use the big bit if I'm not in anyone's way, the small bit if I'm near someone's line.
I don't mind if people use poker chips, I'm not precious about eye lines or whatever. I'm happy for people to leave their ball, not even mark, if it is not in my way. My point was to the OP, just keep getting the poker chip moved further and further away as they really will divert your ball whereas a standard marker or coin is less likely to. Don't feel embarrassed to keep asking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's that old gag about someone using a 50p piece as a marker and getting a two shot penalty because your marker has to be perfectly round or something?? :LOL:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Try finding them! They were perfect and then no doubt some plonker used a poker trip while on a jolly away trip and the fad caught on.

Can we find him and burn him at the stake please.
I've got a load from back in the day, as I collect a ball marker from every course I play. All stored in a couple of boxes at the moment, but eventually I will put them in a frame.
Make me an offer on a plastic one, and I might accept. ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a load from back in the day, as I collect a ball marker from every course I play. All stored in a couple of boxes at the moment, but eventually I will put them in a frame.
Make me an offer on a plastic one, and I might accept. ?

A half eaten snickers and the promise of no more pouting jokes. Or I’ll keep the snickers, continue with the jokes bit stop using castle tees

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can use anything you like as a marker as long as it’s not classed as an alignment device as per the equipment rules. It’s not difficult to ask for a marker to be moved.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
What's that old gag about someone using a 50p piece as a marker and getting a two shot penalty because your marker has to be perfectly round or something?? :LOL:

That will relate to the US PGA Tour which used to insist on the marker being round and I believe penalised someone for using a key.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I don't mind if people use poker chips, I'm not precious about eye lines or whatever. I'm happy for people to leave their ball, not even mark, if it is not in my way. My point was to the OP, just keep getting the poker chip moved further and further away as they really will divert your ball whereas a standard marker or coin is less likely to. Don't feel embarrassed to keep asking.

If it's on the low side of my line I'll leave it there; once bounced a birdie putt in off a pound coin which my mate had offered to move. I told him to leave it there as if I was low it would knock me back on line. Not amused doesn't get remotely close. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always thought the poker chip markers look a bit naff, but they're the only ones I don't lose immediately, so it's poker chips or a tee peg.