THFC Managers position, a truly poisoned chalice.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Im a spurs fan, as some will know, and I want success. The problem here is, success in the eyes of the fans is very different to that of the owners.

In terms of the ownership, success here is measured by bank-statements and balance-sheets. We are owned by an investment company, and a successful one at that.

For 2/3 years, we have been on the cusp of achieving something. However we refused to buy the world-class striker who would have fired us to that glory. For the simple reason, we do not spend money like that.

The way our club is run, it is better to finish 10th and make £5m than win the league and make a million, sadly, that will always be the way when ENIC own the club.

Therefore, the managers position really is a poisoned-chalice and as such, there is no reason why a top-class manager would take it unless the salary was so rich he couldnt say no.

Spurs always sell their best players. Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale. All sold, and the common denominator here is that Daniel Levy said of each player, "He is not for sale, at any price"

The season tickets are renewed and then all of a sudden the players are sold, with the excuse of "you cant keep a player who doesnt want to stay, his head will not be right"

Well, look at Suarez, he wanted out, and yup, he really isnt playing well is he!

Any manager here must accept that instead of building for success, he will have to sell his best players.

People say "Tottenham spent £100m this summer" well that is far from the truth. Our net spend was infact zero, we made money.

We signed players like Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Capoe & Eriksen, none of whom are proven top-class players in a scatter-gun approach to hopefully keep the happy-clappers clapping, and ultimately that they would become the next £50m players.

We have sold a match-winner, a game-changer, a world-class player and replaced him with a series of punts.

If we had held our resolve, kept Bale and invested £50m in a striker and LB who knows where we would be.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im a spurs fan, as some will know, and I want success. The problem here is, success in the eyes of the fans is very different to that of the owners.

In terms of the ownership, success here is measured by bank-statements and balance-sheets. We are owned by an investment company, and a successful one at that.

For 2/3 years, we have been on the cusp of achieving something. However we refused to buy the world-class striker who would have fired us to that glory. For the simple reason, we do not spend money like that.

The way our club is run, it is better to finish 10th and make £5m than win the league and make a million, sadly, that will always be the way when ENIC own the club.

Therefore, the managers position really is a poisoned-chalice and as such, there is no reason why a top-class manager would take it unless the salary was so rich he couldnt say no.

Spurs always sell their best players. Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale. All sold, and the common denominator here is that Daniel Levy said of each player, "He is not for sale, at any price"

The season tickets are renewed and then all of a sudden the players are sold, with the excuse of "you cant keep a player who doesnt want to stay, his head will not be right"

Well, look at Suarez, he wanted out, and yup, he really isnt playing well is he!

Any manager here must accept that instead of building for success, he will have to sell his best players.

People say "Tottenham spent £100m this summer" well that is far from the truth. Our net spend was infact zero, we made money.

We signed players like Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Capoe & Eriksen, none of whom are proven top-class players in a scatter-gun approach to hopefully keep the happy-clappers clapping, and ultimately that they would become the next £50m players.

We have sold a match-winner, a game-changer, a world-class player and replaced him with a series of punts.

If we had held our resolve, kept Bale and invested £50m in a striker and LB who knows where we would be.
A very good and honest assessment. LB? I'm not available.;):D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and trying to play 'catch up' with Arsenal and Chelsea. If they think they can catch them for a top 4 position that's leaves one place for a team from outside of London. Three London teams in the top four at end of season is difficult to see.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
Some other spurs fans I talk to at games come back with the "train-set club" argument but that is not what I am alluding to.

Last season, and the season before we missed out narrowly on CL football, and last season if we had a respectable conversion-rate of our chances we would have had a title challenge.

The whole world could see we needed that 1 piece, that clinical goalscorer to put it in the net to make that happen. The money spent would have been recovered through CL football but sadly the ENIC way is not to invest incase we dont make the CL, the refuse to speculate to accumulate. It is better to protect the balance sheets.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Tottenham were far from a couple of purchases, and they would win the league. Every season they buy too.many players, none of which are top class, because the players won't go to a team out of the cl spots, and totts won't pay the wages.

Arsenal also have sold their best players year on year, and still finish ahead of the noisy neighbours. Ok, have won zip, granted.

Who would manage Tottenham next?

Klopp? Laudrup? Hyneckes? Guardiola? Possibly a step up for Laudrup, but I hope he is waiting for a top team, not another mid tabler.

Who do you want, and would they come? You've had average managers, and the above list are the best, so who is available mid season, who.is better than avb?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
You make good points Chris

In terms of the next manager, Im fearing Sherwood as he is on board, and will be cheap!

Realistically, Hiddink would do a job, I wanted Martinez before AVB but he has no reason to come unless we pay the big-bucks which I dont see happening.

I still have a lot of time for Glenn Hoddle too. I think he genuinely had England closer to glory than any other manager since Bobby Robson, and with the talent at his disposal and the signing of a LB, 2 CBs and a Striker to partner Soldado in January he could save our season.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Preaching to the choir, mate, just got to look at Newcastle, not won anything for 44years, and, had, massive debts. Now the debts are gone, but the club is run as a business by the owners.

The fans up here, much like the Spurs fans, would just like to see some silverware lifted, and we don't mean the cutlery in the board room.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I genuinely think that Glenn Hoddle would be a masterstroke appointment mate. I rated him as England manager and he understands how football should be played. He's respected throughout Europe and carries some decent clout in World Football. Bring him in now and spend some money in January...

D

Deleted member 15344

Just sacked a manager who won 53.7% of his league games in charge, which is the highest of any Spurs manager since the Premier League era began in 1992. Good luck to the next bloke...

I think it's clearly a case of managing expectations and not having the paitence

This time last year we were near the relegation zone yet I can't recall many demands of him gone

Can easily see things getting worse for them now

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's clearly a case of managing expectations and not having the paitence

This time last year we were near the relegation zone yet I can't recall many demands of him gone

Can easily see things getting worse for them now

Really? I know plenty of Liverpool fans who were desperate to see the back of Brendan Rogers, worst appointment they'd ever seen etc etc. No different to the Arsenal fans who want rid of Wenger, modern society demands instant results and football fans are about the worst there is for this.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really? I know plenty of Liverpool fans who were desperate to see the back of Brendan Rogers, worst appointment they'd ever seen etc etc. No different to the Arsenal fans who want rid of Wenger, modern society demands instant results and football fans are about the worst there is for this.

Then I would question those Liverpool fans and suggest they need to get behind a new manager - it's not how we are supposed to be - but you are right. - modern fans

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

TBH I was more disappointed when we got Rafa in as manager. I know he was manager when we won the CL but there weren't many of his signings in the squad then. He was far too defensive in his approach the the league but was a great knockout competition manager which showed in the silverware we won with him at the helm.
Hodgson was dire to say the least and Kenny did his best with what he had at his disposal.
Rogers has been a breath of fresh air to the club, building a great team with a winning mentality and a desire to play for the club to the best of their abilities with some really able to shine.

Back to the trials and tribulations of THFC and their management saga.
AVB was doing a good job for them and it shows how fickle the owners can be. Spurs should have done all they could to keep Bale instead of trying to get the most they could for him. they should have had more faith in the manager to buy the players he thought he needed and not let the director of football call the shots.
Interesting that Zola resigned today as well. He must be odds on to be the next THFC manager.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is a poisoned chalice but there will be a queue waiting for the challenge. With money to spend in January they could still be on the periphery of a top four. A good cup run at home or in Europe and it may not be as bad a season as Spurs fans think

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a gunner its great news , but TBH the players stop playing for him just like at Chelsea , its player power again I say , is he a weak manager or maybe he is too young and after a bit does not have the respect of the players , Levy should do the job himself and see how he gets on , they never match Arsenal or Chelsea as they dont have a bigger stadium to earn the extra funds or have an owner who is still paying for managers and players who are not even at the club , it take time but a new face will boost the team but for how long , why is defoe not playing more, guy is a goal scorer , maybe if you pay 28 mil of a striker you must play him as that's what levy wants ..................good luck to the next guy as he will need it ..................EYG

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get a caretaker manager until the end of the season, and then get Klinsmann in after the world cup.

Why not get Jose from cheski , greatest manger as long as he has lots of money to spent .................the problem at spurs is upstairs , AVB had the best winning percentage of any spurs manager and gets the sack , how are you going to match that ...........need to give the manager a chance , that's the problem today ..............expectation that are set too high with a short time limit to get there , next manger for the sack will be the guy at villa followed by jose ......................EYG

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Why not get Jose from cheski , greatest manger as long as he has lots of money to spent .................the problem at spurs is upstairs , AVB had the best winning percentage of any spurs manager and gets the sack , how are you going to match that ...........need to give the manager a chance , that's the problem today ..............expectation that are set too high with a short time limit to get there , next manger for the sack will be the guy at villa followed by jose ......................EYG

Problem is that most of the £100 million spent on players has been wasted. Foreign players are always a gamble as there is no guarantee they will settle. Why didn't they look at some English players with Premier league experience ? Spurs sell one player, buy seven new ones and look a worse side. :mad: I would never have trusted AVB with the money, might be a great coach for all I know, but no track record in spotting players. He also took over a good team from Harry, so not too difficult to get early results.