These new style head covers...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Far handier than the 910 driver Head cover was to put on. After hitting a bad drive the fight with the head cover would try your patience.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have Pom Pom covers for fairways and rescues and used to have one for driver but I find they start to get holes in them after 6 months

So bought a hand puppet from Notts and they are great

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
So which manufacturer was the first with these "new style" covers then?

I did a quick look back and the Adams Super LS range from early 2013 had them. Anyone remember any before that?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's not only woods. The only clubs in my bag that are steel shafted now are the wedges and putter. All the rest are graphite.
The trick is to keep an eye on the shafts and the bag as if the material on the bag dividers wear then that will damage the shafts.
Interestingly, where I have seen, it seems to be more an issue with carry bags than trolley bags.
My Benross driver and fairways all have shaft socks on them. Absolutely no problem getting them on and off but I can't guarantee they protect the shafts unless I deliberately push the socks between the dividers.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it must depend on the shaft you have in the club. All mine are a shiny gloss finish, the very top layer has just started to dull up in one spot.
Bag is not the issue, its a Ping Tour bag with velvet lining that is in perfect condition. I think the issue comes from the club bouncing around due to no sock on the neck to cushion the bouncing.

Either way, I've ordered 915 head covers until I can get some sock added to the 917 covers.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So which manufacturer was the first with these "new style" covers then?

I did a quick look back and the Adams Super LS range from early 2013 had them. Anyone remember any before that?

I use the Cleveland classic headcovers for my woods and driver. From 2012. Similar style.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guy at work bought QPR head covers for all his woods

this way he can change his club and his wife will be none the wiser

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bought my Callaway XRs about a year ago and didn't like the new style covers. So wrote to Callaway customer service with (genuine) feedback saying I didn't think the design was good enough for purpose. They replied thanking me for feedback and sent me some old style covers instead (Ok, everyone thinks I have Big Berthas but at least they do the job I want).

But I think my comments then went into the "That's him sorted, now let's forget about it" file. But at least I have what I wanted...