New driver ramblings

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went to Titleist at Brampton for a custom fit session for a 909D2 driver, as I have recently been struggling with my 907D1. This feels light (the addition of some lead tape just made it feel heavy, without ever feeling right), and my bad shots are a high weak fade, a massive carve right, or a big pull left. The odd shot can be awesome though, with my best recorded drive out there at 283 yards. A more common value is 240.

My D1 was a 9.5 degree head, on a not quite stiff shaft.

On the day, I was hitting my D1 a little lower than normal, and with a bit of a fade. I did reasonably middle one, which although not in the awesome category, was probably representative of an average strike. This showed up as having too much back spin, at about 4500 rpm, and about 400 rpm side spin. The back spin probably kept it straighter than it would otherwise have been. Carry was about 200 yards for a swing speed of 96 mph.

96 mph rates as being borderline for stiff or regular.

So onto the 909s. Luckily the fitter though D2 rather than Dcomp, as the comp is a bit of a munter to my eyes. Would have been nice to go D3, but I guess he looked at my swing and figured there was no chance. So I started with a 9.5 degree with a regular voodoo. Now I tried the stiff voodoo with a 9.5 head before, and loved it, so I was expecting good things. However, it resulted in the same 4500 rpm back spin, so no good. Same for the Aldila proto buy you stiff (never got on with this shaft in my D1 either, so no surprise to me). We went through a couple more options, before the fitter figured I would benefit from a lower loft head, as this would generate less back spin. Now most golfing 'experts' tell us that we average players (and I am depressingly average at this game) need more loft, like 12 degrees. I am clearly odd in this, but then most apparently don't hit down on their drives (which I do, although I don't think I do, and also have the ball tee'd miles forward to try to avoid it).

So onto the 8.5 head. Combined with a Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 stiff shaft. This produced a fantastic flight, with huge hang time, 3000 rpm spin, and 220 carry. Impressive. I could have settled for this there and then, but the tester wanted to try the same shaft but a bit heavier, the Xcon 6. This I found very comfortable to swing, (as the 5), and produced probably my best drive of the day. The fitter thought I looked more comfortable with the heavier shaft, so that is what I ordered. I did hit 3 or 4 in a row that were more than acceptable, with no real shockers either.

Fast forward a couple of days, and the new stick arrives. I won't say what it cost, as that would be telling, but it wasn't cheap. I never thought it would be, but my Pro has never been one for under charging.

Once in my possession, off to the driving range, as I figured having a bash in more controlled circumstances would be more useful than just playing a quick 9, and hitting it 4 times. My favourite range is a bit of a drive, especially through rush hour traffic, but with a shiny new stick to try, I couldn't get there quickly enough.
50 balls, £3.50. Just took the new stick and a glove, as I wasn't going to faff about hitting irons today, oh no, driver only. Shot off upstairs, where it is nice and quiet, and also where I normally hit from, as then I know how far to expect a decent strike to go. A bit of a warm up swing, some stretching and then off.

Now here comes the interesting thing with c/f. They can only fit you for the swing you have on the day. On Friday, the day of the fitting, I had a nice languid back swing, and a very consistent 96 mph club head speed. On Tuesday night, I had a swing like a strimmer, and no matter how hard I tried to find some tempo it wasn't happening. Now this could be excitement, it could be the stress of the comute, the pressure of wanting to hit my new bat well, whatever, but it wasn't good. I managed to hit a few ok ones, which were comparable with a decent drive from my old driver, but the rest weren't exactly what I was expecting. Now I am realistic in this, I am changing drivers because I have fallen out of love (and run out of confidence) with my old one, and so am not expecting another 30 yards or anything. Just a nice solid feel, a nice flight and a good strike.

So after my 50 balls, I drove home, not exactly dispirited, but not exactly happy either. However, the plan was to play a quick 9 holes on Wednesday after work with a good mate, so I figured maybe it would all come together on the course.

So, Wednesday, standing on the first tee, I am thinking 3w, just to get away from the clubhouse and all, before pulling out the big stick away from prying eyes. So a duffed 3w, duffed rescue, fat 6i, thin sw later I have played 5, and off the back of the green (par 4), and in a foul mood. Spitting blood. Concede the hole, on to the 2nd.

First chance for the driver to be hit in anger (and boy was I angry). But..... a nice swing (amazing) and a smack straight down the middle that while not quite how I was hitting it on Friday was more than acceptable. 4i in, two putts for a 4.
3rd hole, another smooth drive, a 5w, 9i, 2 putts, par. Parred the par 3 4th (from a greenside bunker), Nice drive on the 5th, just into a fairway bunker on the left, but it was a nice strike, and would have been long, but got a par out of it, and onwards.

So after a shonky start, I finish the front nine with a blob and 8 pars (very hot putter, almost white hot, 11 putts not including the 1st).

Right, the verdict on the 909 (a long time coming for those still reading). This is a lovely club to look down on, it sits nice and square, and the red shaft is very sexy too. It is very comfortable to swing (I always felt I was fighting my 907D1), and feels really well matched to me, such that it is almost just an extension of me. The swing weight is perfect, and if I can get a nice smooth transition into the down swing, I hit it pretty solidly. If I thrash it, less so. My worst shots with it so far are much more controlled than before, such that I have not visited the woods with it yet (left or right). The strike feels solid and powerful, the flight is nice, and the sound is just right. I still haven't hit it with the tempo I had on Friday though. That is yet to come. Unless Friday was a fluke.

I have not yet hit 'the ripper' with it. I do get the feeling that my D1 is longer (maybe only because I know I have hit some really long drives with this club), but only on that 1 in a 100 that really goes, and the rest of the time there is not that much in it, it just takes a different route to get there. Maybe when the ground is softer then the increased carry will come into it's own. Or, maybe I haven't hit it enough yet to really get it away, it still feels very new at the moment.

Considering I have had my 907D1 for two years, my 909 already feels like home, and I won't be changing back any time soon. If it continues to be consistent, then I will be very happy with it. I will be trying it again over the full 18 tomorrow, and again on Saturday. Luckily there are no medals until the 28th, so there is time to get used to it before the pressure of competition.

And the head cover is dead sexy. Useless, but sexy.

Question: Why don't modern head covers protect the shaft anymore?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quiet at work today mate?

Good to see your enjoying it. Still going to take more than a sexy new stick to beat me in our next match..........

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice write up. Certainly lead me up the garden path, expecting to here another story of the 909 not performing after purchase- however it seems it is going good for you so far so happy days :D

I must say though I am getting more and more turned away from the idea of paying for a custom fit driver, as the process has certainly been portrayed in a less favorable light on the forum recently. The whole thing of swinging differently on the day has really concerned me, so despite still not having the money to buy a new big stick anyway- I think when I do have the cash I will have to give it some serious consideration, and may just get my pro who knows how I play, rather than going to a national fit centre.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
The whole thing of swinging differently on the day has really concerned me

I'd never thought of this either until it came up on here a few weeks ago!!

It is very very true though, i'd even go so far as to say that we swing differently within a couple of hours! I played 36 holes yesterday seperated by about 5 hours and the way I was swinging my driver on the morning 18 holes to the evening 18 holes was very very different. Very very very different!

I had to work on my driver a lot more in the evening and really had to concentrate on where I was going wrong, whereas in the morning it was a lot more natural.

If I went and got fitted up when I was swinging badly i'd be devastated :(

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep HTL, you are right, I think a solid short game will beat you every time. No new stick required then, just put me down for a win.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yes i agree you need to be able to deal with the swing you have on the day. A solid short game will guarentee consistent scores whatever swing you bring on the day.

age-14
h/c-11

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good to see you like the 909 Murph. Its had some bad press on here and it can't be a bad club - the major manufacurers just don't make bad clubs only ones we can or can't use!

When I tried the Voodoo stiff shaft, it felt like a broom handle but the regular felt too whippy! too much difference between them. Looks nice though!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This is a very interesting (and excellent) post for me having been for a test drive yesterday. This part of your post intrigues me because I also hit fractionally down on my drives....

We went through a couple more options, before the fitter figured I would benefit from a lower loft head, as this would generate less back spin. Now most golfing 'experts' tell us that we average players (and I am depressingly average at this game) need more loft, like 12 degrees. I am clearly odd in this, but then most apparently don't hit down on their drives (which I do, although I don't think I do, and also have the ball tee'd miles forward to try to avoid it).

So onto the 8.5 head. Combined with a Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 stiff shaft. This produced a fantastic flight, with huge hang time, 3000 rpm spin, and 220 carry. Impressive.

I normally hit a 9.5° driver but it's loaded with spin (upto 4300rpm) so I test drove the FT-iQ 9.5° and was carrying 270y with a spin rate of 3,200rpm. But it came off quite low and didn't have enough spin to get it up like it does with my current driver (as I said I hit down slightly thus delofting the club). So I changed it to a 10.5° and started carrying 285y purely because the ball was in the air longer.

I don't see how you can reduce your spin rate AND take less loft. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Murph, the reason you were getting too much spin was because you were swinging out to in with the clubface open.
This in effecct was adding loft to the driver so like a 3 wood, and as you were hitting down on it you had a steeper than average angle of attack, creating extra spin. (as you would do with a wedge)
When your fitter changed to a lower loft on the face it was straighter at impact giving you a better launch angle therefoe less spin therefoe less ballooning.
So less loft = less spin. Easy :)
I wonder how accurate launch monitors are?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the answer is in the shaft. You get less loft in the head, but compensate with a higher launching shaft. It certainly does seem to work, but not enough for me to carry 270 yards.

I hit a few 255 yarders tonight, and one 265 as well. This would do for me on most holes I play.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that Bob, nice to get some more input. I think the launch monitors are fairly accurate, but obviously don't give you the roll out, so you don't really know how far you will hit it.

However, without the LM, I might have bought a TM superquad, or a CobraL4V which I thought I hit well, but in fact were worse than a 4i.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say up to a few weeks back I was a staunch C/F supporter but here are a number of tales on here that are making me consider my stand. The main concern I have is getting fitted on how you swing on one particular day when for a lot of us two days are never the same.

Don't get me wrong I can see the benefits of having a c/f session and still think to a degree the shaft, head, and loft picked will be more beneficial over a longer period of time and give more consistant results but can also see that two different swings will give very varied results and so an old stock bade shot say a fade right may now become a slice or even go the other way.

I think if I'm ever inthe market for a driver again its an avenue I'll still explore but not at the cost of trying off the shelf models too

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if I'm ever in the market for a driver again its an avenue I'll still explore but not at the cost of trying off the shelf models too

I've been a bit down about my drivers. I can't spot any difference between my Ping G5 12 and my Callaway FT-3 10.

I took the Callaway to the range, and got fed up and posted on here, as you've read. :(

Today, I put my benny HT 13 in the bag and finally managed to hit every drive with a decent trajectory.

I hit some big ones (for me) too. 260 down the 10th and 245 (uphill :)) at the next. I'm sold on this for the time being.

It's such a difficult business.

I'm giving some thought to selling both the old ones and going for a "new" CF session up the road at the Wilson Staff fitting pro. "Smooth" with high launch fujikura 160....could be worth a try. I'm certainly not buying a driver knowingly with a mid-launch shaft again....I'm just not powerful enough.

- - - - -

Back on topic, good for Murph......sounds like a result.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think the answer is in the shaft. You get less loft in the head, but compensate with a higher launching shaft. It certainly does seem to work, but not enough for me to carry 270 yards.
I tend to agree, if the shaft is right then you can certainly get a better launch angle. 8.5° would not suit me as I'd forever be worried about smothering it, I'd probably be leaning back on it and opening the face... hello Mr.Blocked-Slice :D

I must admit to being a custom fit sceptic and I conceed to being pleasantly surprised by the results I was getting though. I hit my own driver 100% flushed a couple of times and then hit the FT-iQ a bit out of the heel and it actually went 13 yards further than my own drive!!! I'd never have known that had it not been for the launch monitor, and it went on like this... shots I thought I had flushed with all the other clubs I hit were carrying too much spin which stall them out, and you don't get the run either. The FT-iQ spin rate was so low the ball just kept going out of sight. As I'm not able to hit one and run 280y down the fairway to see it land the launch monitor really came into it's own.

Another thing that helped was a qualified person telling me that I need an x-flex shaft for my swingspeed. I'd thought that for a long time although I'm also gutted as it makes my own driver defunct now. No wonder I can lose one a bit right when I rip it :(

However, if the chap had told me that I could do with the club being 1 degree upright I'd probably have laughed and asked him just how repetative he thought my swing, ball position and spine angle were... they couldn't have been that great otherwise I wouldn't be catching any drives out of the heel :)

Some interesting figures came out also. I flushed one at 110mph with a launch speed of 161mph and it carried 280yds, then HE flushed one at 106mph with launch speed of 156mph...and it carried an extra 6yds past mine simply because he hit it with less spin, something ridiculous like 2,300rpm :D

It was an interesting evening.