Thermal Underwear

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just played 9 holes in +1 degree weather and came off with my under clothes wet through with sweat, I wear old type Damart thermal vest and leggings, polo neck pullover and a Sunderland windbreaker top, and if its extra cold a coat on top...and when I get changed my clothing is wet through with sweat.
Am I wearing old type thermals? Too many layers?...help please as our radiators are covered with my clothing after a round. Should I be looking at the new type thermals.....what do you find are the best clothes to wear in cold dry conditions?

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wear new type of base layers and have no problems with perspiration. Played Sunday in +1C temperature, 4 layers of modern clothing on and was warm as toast and dry as a bone.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
+1 degrees isn't cold if you're walking. I think you're over doing the layers. Modern base layers are far more efficient at allowing moisture to dissipate than the older style thermals.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for your reply ,any suggestion's of brands and types please?

I have tried Under Armour, Unbranded from Sports Direct and Galvin Green, I found the Under Armour had too much compression for me, but kept me warm and I didn't sweat with it on, the Sports Direct was better fit for me but I was cold tenth hole onwards, the best has been Galvin Green I know it is a price many find too high but for me it fits well and keeps me warm with out the sweats.

As an aside I also tend to wear their Insular body under my top garment which I find really good as the arms stay free

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a skintight baselayer top from Sports Direct. It's the slightly thicker variety (I have thinner ones for football when you don't want to be baking hot as soon as you start running).
I think it's this one or one very much like it: https://www.sportsdirect.com/sondico-sonditherm-mock-collar-shirt-mens-427282?colcode=42728203

I get Sondico from SD as it's cheap and I don't care what it looks like when it's under my other clothes. I find it traps warmth very well - last weekend I wore this with a polo shirt and a thin v-neck jumper (just a smart casual one from Burtons) and I was absolutely fine. My legs never seem to get that cold so simply a pair of trousers is fine for me. But if you need baselayer tights, Sondico/SportsDirect have them as well for less than 15 quid.

The baselayer solution is ideal for me because I would have hate having to wear a jacket or thick jumper with big sleeves which wouldn't be great for the golf swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
+1 degrees isn't cold if you're walking. I think you're over doing the layers. Modern base layers are far more efficient at allowing moisture to dissipate than the older style thermals.

only time ive ever warn anything like this was when it was -10 a few winters back.

reg play in 0 and never worn anything under my Troos apart from my Leopard print thong. if its really cold -minus temp i wear my waterproof troos.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Helly Hansen are the best base layers for me.

Not the skin type ones that are the fashion. A bit looser making them much more comfortable to wear. Wick sweat away very well too. Have had mine for 15 years or so and use it for hiking, golf, tag rugby, rugby training and pretty much everything in between

D

Deleted Member 1156

only time ive ever warn anything like this was when it was -10 a few winters back.

reg play in 0 and never worn anything under my Troos apart from my Leopard print thong. if its really cold -minus temp i wear my waterproof troos.

You told everyone that Inverness has it's own micro climate and you play in shorts all year round. :mmm:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear older type long johns under goretex trousers and do not have problem with sweat but sometimes I do get a bit too warm in them. On my top I just layer up with normal clothes which can easily be removed if I get too warm, last layer being a goretex jacket which always stays on to keep the wind out.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just played 9 holes in +1 degree weather and came off with my under clothes wet through with sweat, I wear old type Damart thermal vest and leggings, polo neck pullover and a Sunderland windbreaker top, and if its extra cold a coat on top...and when I get changed my clothing is wet through with sweat.
Am I wearing old type thermals? Too many layers?...help please as our radiators are covered with my clothing after a round. Should I be looking at the new type thermals.....what do you find are the best clothes to wear in cold dry conditions?

Man, that's way too much info for a forum :eek::eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wear under armour base layers and M&S thermal leggings. Although it may be +1 there has been a distinct wind chill, certainly when I've been playing lately and so the leggings have been necessary and I've never felt overly hot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do people's legs really get cold? The amount of walking up and down hills, my legs are rarely ever cold beyond maybe the first hole or two. The only parts I usually need to worry about keeping warm are my main body area and my right hand. I'm surprised at how many of you require under-layers for your legs.